How long until you went down a dress size?

I bought some jeans in a size too small as my first non-scale goal. I'm 24lb down now and they're still too tight =( How much did you lose until you could fit in smaller clothes? I was hoping to be in them by christmas but it's not looking likely now, boo.

Replies

• kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    I'd like to know this too :) It's probably different for everyone - plus the fact that different companies have differences in sizing.

However from experience (going the other way), I crept up one size over a year (about 30lbs), and then two more sizes followed within a matter of months (again about 30lbs - one was more like 20lbs and then the final, largest size took only 10 more).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    It's really hard to say ... I've always worn several different sizes depending on who makes the clothing item. At any given moment I've had Size 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 in my closet ... and I've been able to wear them all depending on how flattering the label was, or not. Or where I got it ... Australian sizing is different from Canadian sizing.

However, when I had lost about 50 lbs (last year about this time!), I did do a closet purge and got rid of my bigger sizes.

I wouldn't recommend buying clothes in anticipation. One thing I discovered is that although I'm back down to the weight I was a few years ago, somehow my shape has changed, and things which were comfortable then aren't now. It's really difficult to know how things are going to fit.

Oh, and also ... I don't know how your bone structure is, but I've got wide hips. Always have had. I can be underweight and still wearing size large pants to accommodate my hips. I'll never be a size 2 or something really low.
  • ritaszk
    ritaszk Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I would do some spinning sessions! That will help with fitting in your jeans faster!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I found every 10lbs lost was a dress size smaller.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Idk if it's just me, but jeans are tricky. I could wear different sizes in the same brand depending upon the cut.

It also depends on how you want them to fit. I wear my jeans tight, but comfortable. It also depends on your overall shape.

Basically, jeans are just evil.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    edited November 2016
    There is hope! It took me 22 pounds to go down a size but I also realized I should have probably been wearing a size 18, not a tight 16, so it took me those 24 pounds to fit into what I thought was the next size down. When technically, I had gone from an 18 to a 14. After that it's been pretty much every 10 pounds. I've lost 50 pounds and am now in an 8. (US)
    I think it all depends on your height and how you like your clothes to fit too! Maybe try some new styles, they may fit/feel better.
    You will get there, I promise!
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Every 15 pounds-ish
  • brokenstar1
    brokenstar1 Posts: 4 Member
    Hope it's not a stone or more, at least for a short *kitten* (5'3"). I'd love to lose a dress size (waist / thigh inches) to fit into some size 10 jeans I have.
    But wasn't envisioning going quite down to the 8 stone mark.

Well done on your 24lb!
  • cardiacmommy
    cardiacmommy Posts: 52 Member
    Read some posts here a while back that there is much less variance in smaller sizes than big ones. While you are plus size you have to list a significant amount more to go down a size. Once you are like a 10 or so you start to change sizes faster. I was 215 and a 16/18. More I'm189 and a 14/16..so it takes time. Looking forward to getting out of plus sizes!
  • vanessajacka
    vanessajacka Posts: 11 Member
    It took me I would say 30 lbs or so to go one size down :( I was hoping it was going to be every 10lbs, oh well
  • Never2Bz
    Never2Bz Posts: 90 Member
    I always noticed success at 10 lb. intervals. Up or down gave me bad or good news... I'm a yo-yo dieter and have waaaayyy too many clothes. My best to you on your journey. I'm guessing your clothes size will not only be based on pounds but also your body type. Don't get discouraged.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    I started at size 12/14 jeans. I lost 30 pounds before I could fit into size 10 jeans, which are getting baggy now. The thing is our body shapes are all different. Also, clothing manufacturers don't make uniform sizes, at least here in the United States.
  • 87sid
    87sid Posts: 67 Member
    The bigger I am, it takes more pounds to drop sizes. Im 5 ft 6.5 in. At about 176 I was a 12, at 150 I am a size 8. I maybe could have fit an 8 at 155 or so. I think it really varies from person to person.
  • tanny684
    tanny684 Posts: 196 Member
    87sid wrote: »
    The bigger I am, it takes more pounds to drop sizes. Im 5 ft 6.5 in. At about 176 I was a 12, at 150 I am a size 8. I maybe could have fit an 8 at 155 or so. I think it really varies from person to person.

Absolutely, it depends on your shape and your bone structure. I have friends that are 40lbs lighter than me but wear the same dress size. When I weighed 140lbs I wore a US size 6, but I had a friend that weighed the same and wore a 10. It's all individual x
  • haynesha
    haynesha Posts: 4 Member
    I think this depends on your body shape and type. In losing ~30 lbs my hips went down 6 inches but my waist has only lost 1 inch (so frustrating!!). So I'm still wearing all the same dresses and tops as before, but went from a size 16/18 jean to now a 10.
  • IAmSagittarian82
    IAmSagittarian82 Posts: 97 Member
    I am a full hourglass (big boobs, tiny waist, big muscular booty and thighs) and 5'7 tall.

Here is what I have noticed about my own body from previous weight loss:
    At my heaviest, I was 240 lbs and was US size 18/20
    220 lbs - US Size 12/14, 40G bra
    200 lbs - US Size 10
    190 lbs - US Size 9
    170-190 - US Size 8/9, 38DDD bra
    160-170 - US Size 7/8
    140s - US Size 4/6 (and some Size 3s), 36D to 36DD bra
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Every 10 pounds, on average. But I wear size 4, 6 or 8 jeans and small or medium tops depending on brand or style...

At 206 I was a tight 16/ XL. Now I range between 141 and 148. I'm 5'9"

Banana shape here. No boobs. No hips. :/
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    It took me a while to go down a size, but that's because at my heaviest, I refused to admit where I was and had been stuffing myself into my clothing like sausage casing. After that first clothing size, I seem to drop a size per 10lbs. I'm only 5'2" though.