Running gloves

Options
Winter is cold! Once I'm running i'm all warm and toasty apart from my fingers so I need to get some gloves, but I want proper running ones. I've seen a Nike dry-fit set which look good (my running tops are dry-fit and I really love them) but also some Asics ones, I can't decide so recommendations would be good. Especially if theyre cheaper! I'm in the UK.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Wearing gloves is probably the first cold weather concession I make, I can happily wear shorts to just below freezing but cold hands can wreck a run for me.

It takes a little trial & error as everyone has different cold tolerance. The first gloves I'll use are a pair of fairly light Under Armour ones that I originally bought for playing soccer in the fall. As the weather cools down I have a pair of Nike Element thermal gloves (they're warmer than the dri-fit but not windproof) and for the really cold weather I have a pair of the Columbia gloves that have the reflective interior (for the days where it hits -30C or colder I'll also wear a merino wool glove liner under the Columbia ones)
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of cheap gas station gloves that feel as if they are sewn from the same matereal as a heavy duty sweatshirt. they seem fantastic for running in the cold. No style at all but otherwise great for $3.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    The Nike gloves I have are next to useless. Granted they are very thin but even so they should at least do something. I'm not sure if the other Nike gloves are better or not. YMMV

My go to gloves are from Manzella. I have one pair for cold weather and another for 'really' cold weather. Both work very well.

FWIW, I have lots of Nike gear that I love (including shoes). I'm just not a fan of the gloves.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I have a friend, who is a very FAST marathoner-a real runner He prefers to just slip a pair of running socks over his hand -actually puts them on under shirt so cuffs stay pput. With gloves your fingers get cold. He runs all winter in the cold-well did until he moved to the coast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about running gloves this week, good thread!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of merino glove liners from Kathmandu - cheap, lightweight, comfortable and effective. Wool stays warm when wet too.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    very timely thread - I didn't run with my group last night due to bitter cold and no gloves.
  • TRIFITTNESS36
    TRIFITTNESS36 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Run in gloves but also not just gloves ha
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I run in North Face thin gloves unless it's uber cold... If it's really cold I use a pair of my kids' winter 'snowball fight' gloves. :)
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I struggle with finger gloves and end end of fingers being chilly for the first 5k. I'm looking for woollen mits now that I can add a handwarmer to, and ditch in the first bin when my hands warm up.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    The Nike gloves I have are next to useless. Granted they are very thin but even so they should at least do something. I'm not sure if the other Nike gloves are better or not. YMMV

My go to gloves are from Manzella. I have one pair for cold weather and another for 'really' cold weather. Both work very well.

FWIW, I have lots of Nike gear that I love (including shoes). I'm just not a fan of the gloves.

I also recommend Manzella. I prefer gloves that have a mitten flap because they are more versatile and cut the wind better.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a Ronhill headband and glove set, they aren't the thickest material but enough just to take the chill out and not too warm that I can still keep them on after I've warmed up.
  • Baydogger
    Baydogger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find mittens keep my fingers warmer than gloves.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of Under Armour ones on Amazon. I was up in WI over Thanksgiving and running quite a bit. They were thin and probably good until about freezing. Below freezing, my fingers were chilled a bit. I got a thicker pair at the Packer Hall of Fame that should be good below freezing. If it's super cold, I'd just wear my ski gloves but that's pretty rare in Texas. With that being said, depending in how cold it gets where you live, you'd probably want a few pairs. I certainly wouldn't want mittens or even a thick pair of gloves if it was 35 to 40F, but below 25F, my fingers could use a thicker glove.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Becca_250 wrote: »
    I have a Ronhill headband and glove set,

I have a pair of Ronhill gloves as well, think I got them in Runners Need, they're fine for most of the winter season.

I've also got a pair Elements that I got from Cotswold Outdoor, that as a little heavier. They were originally bought for under my motorbike gloves, but do the trick for running.

That said most of my running is in London, Wiltshire, Dorset and Hampshire, so a little warmer that elsewhere in the UK.