Anyone had major success later in life?

Options
I feel like a gain and lose the same 10 pounds over and over. I'm almost 40(male). I know metabolism slows as we age but i wonder if it is a nearly impossible feat. Im a big guy as it is 250... and i would love to weigh 205-210... i used to weigh 325... im just not sure if I'm setting unrealistic goals for myself. I recently completed the spartan trifecta and felt that was a major accomplishment for me nearly being 40. I have some in my gym telling me to really pound out cardio and do simply maintenace weight training. That these 2 will butt heads if you combine the 2. Im a coach and i know that the two can coexist for the common good, but on the other hand realize that if i do too much cardio, ill begin to lose muscle. I guess my question is if i lift and combine cardio and keep my caloric deficit at about 750 a day, will i lose the weight and maintain the majority of my muscle. Also, how important do you feel protein shakes? I am struggling to get my protein numbers each day. Thanks gang!

Replies

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was saying losing muscle from cardio due to the muscle i lost doing insanity... i went from 325 to 225 and could barely curl a 25 pound dumbbell. I was told this was because my body used my lean muscle as fuel because i was in a deficit and pushing my body. It sounded reasonable.

Thanks for all of the advice btw
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Sorry, just have always heard that after 40, you are on the backside of your life... didn't mean to ruffle feathers... my apologies
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm 57, way over the hill I guess (teehee), and decided to finally dump some weight. My regiment is to watch closely what I eat, how much I eat, and expanded my cardio (walking) a wee bit. I don't measure everything I eat to the gram, eat pretty much what I want, read labels religiously, and rely on my MFP numbers. I'm not a gym rat, never have been, and have relied on the cardio alone. Since August I've dropped 36lbs and don't feel any worse the wear. After I get the weight I want off, I'll maybe look at rebuilding any muscle I may have lost. Obviously you're in good shape with what you have recently accomplished (well done), you just need to make a realistic plan and stick to it. If I can do it anybody can:)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Almost 40 is 'later in life' now?? Good lord, that's depressing. I better start planning my retirement! :D

Retirement? Oh heck I think we got polish up that will! Haha!

Sorry OP! I'm just kidding. I suppose it's possible to lose muscle mass if your in a deficit and not getting sufficient protein. Find a healthy balance and do your cardio and weights. I don't see that you need to shoot for such a dramatic and agressive weight loss, the 750 deficit. I've got about 10 left to lose, but it's just not happening *shrugs*. There's no magic number, don't chase the scale. Focus more on your gains, better endurance, lifting more weights and less on that scale.

You could be moving in the right direction with simultaneous fat/muscle change.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Old bat of 46 :wink:
  • flower8330
    flower8330 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just turned 40 and this is the first time in my life that weight loss is working/sticking. The only thing you need to do to lose weight is eat less than you burn. I do not exercise (I know I should) and have lost about 35 pounds so far.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    "Almost 40" seems young to this 47 yr old woman. I'm quickly approaching menopause so I should be screwed, right? Nope. It takes discipline & a desire to change. I changed my lifestyle to include regular exercise & eating to support my goals. I'm in better shape & health now than in my 20s.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i am 52 and fitter and lighter than i have been in 30 yrs in my given sports i am an achiever, and kick the butts of younger men.
    at nearly 40. your still a child. stop thinking like a pensioner
  • NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm 56, have lost 38 lbs since June, do cardio and lift, and I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago. As the old saying goes, "Age is but a number."
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    How often do you all hit the gym v. Cardio? IE, do you spend an hour in the gym and of that hour 15 minutes doing cardio? Do you do this 3-5 times a week? Or is it weight lifting one day, cardio the next? I'm trying to grasp on to any tidbits that will help me out of the rut.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    I started logging my calories on MFP in my early 50s and had "major success" (15% weight loss from starting weight in four months, and have kept it off for three years) at weight loss for the first time in my life. I lift more than most of the (younger) women in my gym. I started taking ballet in my 50s. I continue to practice yoga.

"Nearly 40" is no reason to feel like you have to give up your fitness goals.
  • NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    How often do you all hit the gym v. Cardio? IE, do you spend an hour in the gym and of that hour 15 minutes doing cardio? Do you do this 3-5 times a week? Or is it weight lifting one day, cardio the next? I'm trying to grasp on to any tidbits that will help me out of the rut.

I don't go to a gym, but rather do everything at home. It's all covered in my profile if you want to take a look.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just have always heard that after 40, you are on the backside of your life... didn't mean to ruffle feathers... my apologies

In my 50's I dropped my weight from 250 to 180 and became a runner. Not bad for such an old geezer, huh? ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @Brocksterdanza Count calories accurately and honestly. That's what myfitnesspal offers. MFP provides the food diary and the food database. You provide the honesty and accuracy. If you can do that, you will lose weight.

You'll need a digital food scale to accurately weigh foods.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list for nutritional values of foods.
    http://www.convertunits.com/ for when you need to convert units. Duh.