Help picking a yoga and/or stretching DVD

Options
I really enjoy doing stretching. On days I don't do my strength DVDs, I like to do stretching ones. It helps with the mobility issues, makes doing other exercise easier, and altogether just makes me feel better. The videos I have are so, so, but I am hoping those with more experience have some opinions.

What I have: Rodney Yee AM/PM yoga, P90x stretch and yoga.

Since I am very much a beginner, flowing too fast between poses is something I don't enjoy, which happens in the Rodney Yee AM/PM. I like the P90x videos (both of them), but one is 45 minutes and the yoga is an hour and a half. P90X holds the poses/stretches for about the length of time I like, but I'd really like something that lasts 20-35 minutes.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• CDH786
    CDH786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try the Joe Wicks YouTube video. @thebodycoach (on twitter)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Have you seen any Prevention yoga or Pilates dvds? I also like some of the Denise Austin yoga I've found online.
  • Baydogger
    Baydogger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I picked up one called yoga for beginners on Amazon. It's produced by Element the instructor is Elena Brower. I have Rodney Yee and know what you mean about flowing too quickly between poses. The Element workout is about 45 minutes long and she holds each pose for a lot longer. Too long, initially! I found it a bit strenuous at first but when I stick with it I get a lot stronger, and a good stretch.
  • PuppetPrincess
    PuppetPrincess Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I prefer using youtube for yoga videos. There are a lot of free yoga teachers on there with routines of any length or focus you could ask for. Some of my favorites are Yoga with Adriene, Yoga by Candace, Yoga TX, Ekhart Yoga, and Doyouyoga.
  • dreadlocklove
    dreadlocklove Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    On YouTube, I've been enjoying Yoga with Adrienne.

As far as DVD's go, I started out with this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Body-Soul-Beginners-Barbara-Benagh/dp/B000H8RVSO/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1480296949&sr=1-2&keywords=yoga+for+beginners
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters - YouTube is great! Yoga with Adrienne is my go-to. I did 3 of her videos this morning and I could have done more if I'd had more time. Most are about 20 minutes and very suitable for beginners. However, she does some challenging poses at times and will describe modifications for newbies.

I like YouTube better than DVDs because I don't want to do the same routine over and over. Lots of variety to be found there. Planning to try Yoga TX and PsycheTruth, as well.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! I'll definitely look into YouTube. I need to make sure I can get the YouTube 'channel' through my little Sony wifi device thingy. For some reason I couldn't find it (was going to take a look at fitness blender).

I don't mind the challenging poses as long as there are mods. I also have a yoga brick so when I can't reach all the way down, I have some assistance there. Glad I'm not just crazy for feeling "too flowy" with Rodney. I really wanted to like him.

I like to do the same routine, until I don't, so YouTube definitely has it's advantages.