Warning TMI: Period questions

Options
I have lost 32lbs since Jan 1st. I am also on the Impanon birth control. I got it in September of this last year & have been really happy with it. I did not really have a period with it untill I started to loose the weight, I think I got one in Feb or Mar. I have had several since then, but they have always been really wacky & strange. Most of the time closer to spotting than actually period like. I will also have one that lasts 1 1/2 weeks & then nothing for over a month, then have one for a week, then another one 2-3 weeks later. Grrrr, this is frustrating to say the least.

I was wondering if this is normal for most of the women that are loosing weight. Are all of your periods crazy like this? Is it just normal or should I be worried about it?

Replies

• staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    abnormal periods are very common when losing weight. After your body adapts to your metabolosm and nutrition change, you will become regular. It might take some time. If it seems too abnormal for too long, I would se a dr just in case
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't, but I'm on Ortho Tri-Cyclen and it's designed to regulate me, so...
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i would also check with your doc
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Since I started this journey mine have been wacky too. I am also on the pill and was regular before but that last few months have been early and longer then usual or I get it for a day or two then it goes for a week and then back. Its very weird but I guess it is my body adjusting. I hope so anyways.
  • loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    Mine were pretty abnormal while I was at my heaviest, but as I lost weight, they became more and more normal all the way around. Now they're going wacky again - but think it's due to Peri-Menopausal issues =O Hang in there and certainly, you should mention this to your doctor & have it checked out thouroughly!
    Best wishes!!!
  • cathhaley
    cathhaley Posts: 6
    Options
    i have no idea, but, now you mention it i have noticed that mine are also scatty, i have the marina coil and had it for about 4-5 months and hardly had any periods with it untill i started dieting, and since i noticed i was losing weight they have especially got worse, sometimes they come and go every other day lol and spotting alot as well, very frustrating is right xx
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    You may need to talk to the doctor about the dose of your pill. I don't think that is normal. I was on a hormone that caused me to have a period for a month..... I stopped it!!! Changed meds and I am fine now.. I think.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    as we are overweight our hormones are all out of wack..even upon losing weight for a while it takes a little bit for our bodies to 'catch up'.

as you even out everything should even out too..if not then you may have other hormonal issues going on and you'll need to see a doctor.
  • icandothistrish85
    Options
    I had Endometriosis and severely heavy periods that made me bleed through a super sized tampon and overnight pad in less than an hour, had to do with me being obese. I've had 3 kids and I'm 26 years old.

When I moved to California, I got a new OB and she recommended the Mirena IUD implant and it's been AMAZING! At first I had regular (my normal) periods. Then I've busted my *kitten* to lose 60lbs and after 3 months, my periods were no longer flooding me, nor lasting longer than 3-4 days at most. Sometimes I bleed for only one afternoon/evening now. Irregularity was normal because of the hormone fluctuation, my doctor advised me, also with me losing weight (Add 14 more LBs to the list) and really working my abdomen area.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have become very regular now that I have lost weight
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I think the our hormones can go slighty mad ...less body for the hormones to go around.

Also, how long have you had this implanon rod in...if its coming towards the time to change it then you are likely to notice hormone changes.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    implanon is an implant under your arm skin that stays there for up to 3 years. I don't think there's anything to adjust... but with a lower weight, there's less of you for the hormones to go through, so it could affect things, I would think.
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think the our hormones can go slighty mad ...less body for the hormones to go around.

Also, how long have you had this implanon rod in...if its coming towards the time to change it then you are likely to notice hormone changes.

I have had it only since Septemeber of 2010. I started loosing the weight in Jan 2011 & my periods have been wacky since end of Feb, begining of March.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, just to be safe. Mine are always "late", really they're just far between, but it was actually because I went off the pill...years ago. It's still like this. It could be that this is occurring to you because of the combination of the two.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have noticed that mine are a little wacky -- when I first started to lose weight and track, they were every 4 weeks. Then suddenly, I got one after 2 weeks, then at 4 again, and the last one was after 6 weeks. (which was really surprising since I did the whole acne/weight gain/cramping and irratibility thing at 4 weeks)
  • elizabeth_ashley44
    Options
    I've had issues too. I have the Mirena implant, and I've noticed the correlation more w/when I take Phentermine than just general weight loss, but maybe that part is more coincidental. I've had way more spotting & seemingly endless days of enough bleeding to need to use something, but not enough to call it a full-on period. It's really frustrating, but I guess it's still better than having a regular period w/a regular flow.
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I called the Dr's office today & spoke with the nurse, who then spoke to the Dr & called me back. She said that everything sounded normal to her as long as I was not bleeding heavily that it was a side effect of the weight loss & the Implanon. She said that once I finish loosing the weight that my hormones should level off & I should go back to normal.

I am also on Phentermine. I only take 1/2 a pill & I do not take it everyday. The Dr told me that this has nothing to do with the phentermine. This has been happening for me for several months now & I have only been taking the phentermine for 3 weeks now, so no corrolation with that for me.