Lost some lbs, but no change in physical appearance

Options
AdviDaddy
AdviDaddy Posts: 207 Member
I weighed my heaviest at 215 lbs, and I currently weigh ~175 lbs. I do not see any change in my appearance even after losing some weight. I admit that my legs, and hands are now looking comparatively leaner, but there's no significant change in my torso.

I know spot reduction is a myth. But, when will I see any change in my physical appearance? BTW, I am a male, 173 cm, and I measure every month.

TIA :smile:

Replies

• HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Many people who have lost weight do not notice a difference, or still feel 'fat' even when at their goal weight. It just takes our mind a while to catch up. Did you take before pictures? Often, before and after pictures are the only way to notice a difference if you can't see a change physically in the mirror.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sometimes it can take a few months before you really notice a difference. I could go about 3 months before I could see anything happening
  • theportkey
    theportkey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I've lost 40Lb and although people are amazed at the change now I have had to buy clothes that don't hang off, I really struggle to see that much difference.
    HaleCry is right. Give it time to sink in and look for photo's of old. It could help.
    Well done all the same !!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're saying your measurements haven't changed after losing 40lbs?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    OP your trousers must be much bigger surely?
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    Thanks all...

@tiptoethruthetulips Yes, my clothes have become very loose. I need one size smaller now.
    @TavistockToad Discounting my chest, and waist, I have reduced overall. Can't say I haven't actually reduced. That would be unfair.

My point is - my midsection is still the same. It hasn't changed a bit - both at 211 lbs & at 175 lbs.

My theory is: Its the first place for fat to deposit, and hence the last place for my body to lose that reserve.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Same here. I started in the 230s (F, 46, 5'1/2"). My pants didn't start getting a little looser (a little!) until the 150s.

The good news, OP, is that when I got to around the 140s, every loss looked huge. Going from 132 to 130, for example was a big change. Just hang in there -- all of a sudden something will change in a big way.

My theory: bodies are just weird. :wink:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Its takes a while to see a major difference, hang in there and keep up the great work.
  • PeakLiving
    PeakLiving Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been building muscle there won't be muscle tone under your fat. Unfortunately It doesn't work like that. Those people who you've probably seen losing weight and looking lean is due to the fact that they actually have muscle underneath the fat. My advice, get yourself to the gym and pump weights. That's pretty much the only way to rectify this. Happy Lifting.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I recommend you go ahead and take some pictures NOW so that in a few months you can compare. It's very hard to notice differences in ourselves because we see ourselves every single day.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    Yeah, thanks all for your inputs.

@youdoyou2016 : Will keep working on it, and see how it goes.
    @PeakLiving : I started lifting heavy weights since 1st Nov. I believe I do not have enough muscle mass. Maybe that could be one of the reasons. Another 60 days of 'experimenting' is not gonna hurt, I presume :wink:
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I recommend you go ahead and take some pictures NOW so that in a few months you can compare. It's very hard to notice differences in ourselves because we see ourselves every single day.

I did that already last weekend. I will take photos during Christmas, and compare. Hopefully, there will be some visible difference.
  • PeakLiving
    Options
    AdviDaddy wrote: »
    Yeah, thanks all for your inputs.

@youdoyou2016 : Will keep working on it, and see how it goes.
    @PeakLiving : I started lifting heavy weights since 1st Nov. I believe I do not have enough muscle mass. Maybe that could be one of the reasons. Another 60 days of 'experimenting' is not gonna hurt, I presume :wink:

Yeah far too early brother. Give it early next year, end of February at the earliest you'll see some gainz. I'm pretty sure if that. Just keep going hard at it. Good luck.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    @PeakLiving Hmmm.... I agree. That's surely gonna test my patience and persistence too.

Let me take it one day at a time. Cos if I think it as a 120 day program, it looks a bit daunting.
  • PeakLiving
    Options
    AdviDaddy wrote: »
    @PeakLiving Hmmm.... I agree. That's surely gonna test my patience and persistence too.

Let me take it one day at a time. Cos if I think it as a 120 day program, it looks a bit daunting.

Yes take it a day at a time. However it's not a program, it's your new way of life. There is no end game.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    PeakLiving wrote: »
    Yes take it a day at a time. However it's not a program, it's your new way of life. There is no end game.

Yup. Thanks, bro!

• Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Later year I lost 30 lbs (5'5 female, went from 164 to 134). I really couldn't notice a difference, I even thought my scale was messed up because I thought there was no way I look the same at 134 and at 164. Finally, I decided to by new pants because mine were feeling loose (looking back they were very lose). I went from a size 12 to a size 2 or 4. I just couldn't really see it until I saw myself in smaller clothes. It's hard because you see yourself every day, and there's a small change every day, compared to someone who sees you say once a week, they would have an easier time noticing the change.
  • keezo1
    keezo1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am sure it's all in the mind. Most of my clothes are loose and people comment on my weightloss yet i dont see it. I bought smaller sized pants, so there is no logical explanation but that i have lost weight. I have made peace with it ,i have a lot more to lose so i guess one day i will just wake up and see the difference.
  • AdviDaddy
    Options
    Same here. I have another 15-20 lbs to lose. Maybe I will see the change as I am through.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25lbs so far & don't notice a difference (except in cloths size) but I looked at my pictures & saw the difference
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!