New any help advice would be great

Options
Hey guys
My specs 26years old 5'7" 206lbs(all time high)
I'm starting my new diet work out schedule today. Low carb high protein
Being mostly itialan going to be hard to lay off the breads and pastas but I have to give it up if I'm going to be successful.
Last year i blew out my ankle, tore ever ligament in there was restricted to a boot for 6months, resulting in most of my weight gain
After that fell into a depression and just ate my feelings.
I've decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and get my *kitten* in gear
My goal is 160lbs

Just looking for any help / advice

My gym experience was only toning because I played baseball and was on the diving team so I had to keep my flexibility.

Id actually would like to hit the gym hard and make gains
Im mentally in a better place and ready to put in the work.

Thanks guys sorry for the long read

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You didn't provide any numbers, but low carb means high fat and not high protein, and low carb could be tricky if you love bread and pasta. Anyway, make sure you have picked an appropriate calorie goal; if you stick to it, you will lose weight.

Welcome to MFP :)
  • SladeWilson7
    SladeWilson7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kommdevaran. I'm trying to hold 1300-1500 calorie intake.
    I picked up isopure protein mix 0 carbs 50 grams of protein per serving
    And I'm cutting bread and pastas completely out.

• kommodevaran
    Options
    Did you want help/advice?

Don't aim to eat below 1500 calories, it will backfire - you'll either "cheat" or "forget" and thus consistently eat more than planned, or you'll just give up because you are hungry, hangry and tired, and eat more than ever and gain back all you lost, and then some.
    Don't choose supplements over food, they are supposed to supplement what you can't get thorugh food.
    Don't cut out foods you like without a good reason - if you just deny yourself something you love and can eat, you will miss it so much that you'll binge on it when you go off your diet.
    Don't go on a diet. Eat real food, eat food you like, eat appropriate portions at times that suit yout schedule and appetite.

Nobody can or will force you to do or not do anything, but this is advice that normally makes adherance to a calorie deficit easier, and adherance to a calorie deficit is what creates weight loss.
  • Abbiehahn90
    Abbiehahn90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1450/day. It's ok to moderate your carb intake, but you don't want to cut them completely out. Carbs are actually healthy for you. It's just figuring out which are the good carbs and which are the bad carbs.
    What has worked wonders for me is eating every 2.5-3 hours. This keeps your metablosim going. I looove food, so it helps with my hunger as well.
    How that works is not full on meals every time. I do: breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
    I workout at night, so my last snack meal is usually a protein shake.
    My "diet" is higher in protein, but it's mostly just making healthier, more conscious decisions on what/how much I eat.
    Along with eating healthy, the Body Beast workouts have done wonders for me. My diet and workout plan combines helped me get from 155 down to 120 in about 4 months. (You can find the workout plan sheets online for free)

I'm sorry for the book, but I hope this was helpful! :)
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    1500 calories is the minimum recommened intake for a male. 1450 will be fine for a woman.

There are no "good carbs/bad carbs" - carbohydrates is a collective term for sugar, starch and fiber. Different foods contribute different nutrients in different amounts. To eat healthily, we need to get in enough of what we need every day, but over time, not too much. A varied diet makes easing well really easy.

If your metabolism stops, it means you're dead. Meal timing is a matter of preference only.
  • Abbiehahn90
    Abbiehahn90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Carbs are starch yes, but vegetables are a better way to get your carbs than, let's say, a potato. Thats all i meant by that. I didn't say your metabolism stops. Some individuals don't have a high metabolism. What I do helps with that especially if you like to eat more frequently. All I was doing was giving my own personal advice. You don't need to agree with it.
  • Cedura
    Cedura Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey! Fellow carb lover here! I have found that a cup of airpopped popcorn helps me curb carb cravings. Still not super healthy, but better than a cup of alfredo pasta. Find healthier alternatives for the foods you love. When I still really need that carb kick, I make pasta, add veggies to the pot, and instead of a heavy pesto or white sauce, I use a light vinaigrette to season it.

Welcome to the party, feel free to add me if you want!