I hate consistent physical activity with a passion. I just hate it.

Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we need to do things we don't really like too much, if the end result is worth the "pain". Here's one way you can look at it: As soon as you start getting really serious, you'll start noticing real RESULTS! And if you're anything like I am, RESULTS will be the factor that motivates you the best, and you might just find yourself loving the workout!

I was 178 lbs just over two years ago......I've lost all the weight by eating less and better, and I feel I got pretty fit by working out 3-5 times a week. Sometimes easy little workouts, or just walking...other times lifting and more intense workouts, depends on my mood and level of energy that day.

Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, but it absolutely does help the appearance of your body during/post weight loss.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    Try some fitnessblender workouts (YouTube), go for a walk or hike, do some yoga... sounds like you're just bored with that program and need a change.

A hike with my leg would be near impossible. Yoga sounds possible... I used to do yoga. Thank you for the idea. Yoga doesnt burn much though does it? I would still need cardio. But yoga is good for stretching and it's relaxing.

Yoga can burn a lot more than you think, it depends on how much effort you put into it. Plus, you will build strength which will make doing other things (or more yoga) easier to do. Not only will it improve your strength and flexibility, but your attitude toward exercise may change.

Everyone can be successful, you shouldn't "suffer" for weight loss...if you are, then you are making changes that you will not be able to sustain the rest of your life and you will undoubtedly gain the weight back. You mentioned not losing weight as fast as you want. The thing is, it's not about what you want, rather what your body can do. Give it the opportunity to succeed...too aggressive a deficit, not enjoying your exercise (thus not doing it), having unrealistic expectations will only hinder you. Find something you enjoy, maybe eat a little bit more (I recently started pre-logging and it has allowed me to eat more than I have been yet remain within my daily calorie goal), and you will see what your body is capable of.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i second the suggestion for fitnessblender - youtube has tons of different videos for workouts you can do - and many of them just require a set of weights (I have a 5lb and an 8lb that I bought at target); they have low-impact options/adjustments you can make
  • grayblackmfp
    grayblackmfp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Can your doctor /physio recommend some exercises for you? To build up ankle strength and prevent further injury. It must be frustrating to be reminded of the things you can't do anymore. Maybe try a physio led pilates class?
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I would start by looking into why your leg is still causing so much of an issue. I don't know what you did to it, and maybe everything that can be done has been done, but if not, you may be able to get some physical therapy to help the issues you are having. I broke my leg in a big, bad, horrible way three years ago, and while it took awhile to gain everything back, I now live a very active life with little issue. I also know the difference in weakness pain and pain that is an issue. I push through the weakness pain, maybe throw some ice on and take some Advil if it's really sore.

Another thought. A friend of mine has HORRIBLE knees. Her mentality is that she can sit on the couch and watch tv and be in pain, or she can go live her life and be in pain. She chooses to live her life. She hikes, walks her dogs, cycles, rides horses, and will even come dancing with me on occasion (I ballroom dance). Yeah, it hurts, and sometimes she has to move slowly or avoid certain things, but she doesn't let the pain hold her up.

Both of these are just some food for thought. Often time pain ends up ruling our lives when it shouldn't.

Also, if you hate the exercise you're doing, find something else. If you like t dance, then dance. Are there certain moves you can't do because of pain? Can you modify them? You like yoga, go for it! Can you take your kids out for walks? Walking is great, low impact exercise.
  • Kelleygirl79
    Kelleygirl79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells.

ZERO impact, cardio + strength = full workout. You pretty much stand in one place.

You can do them at home (there are some GREAT DVDs to work out to. Or free workouts on You Tube).

If you focus, you can get a serious workout in 20 minutes.

Takes up very little room in your house.

They have as much variety as you'd like. Repetitive if you don't.

Initial investment in kettlebells is less than $100. There's not alot to add after that, except heavier bells when you get stronger.

I would only warn: form is crucial. Like, seriously, learn proper form and practice proper form every single time you swing or lift a bell.

Feeling strong and BEING STRONG makes daily living easier -- and safer!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is time to switch up your routine. I have to do it every couple months or I go nuts.
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would also add a recommendation for fitness blender. If you go to their actual website (fitnessblender.com) instead of their youtube page you can search through their videos for different styles of training, including some lovely low-impact cardio workouts (the search function is super easy to use, which is an added bonus). Since I'm not a doctor/physiotherapist I can't recommend any exercises to help you strengthen your ankle, so seeing someone for professional advice about that is a good place to start. Also, even though it doesn't burn as many calories as cardio does, I find yoga is great to add in to your routine. Not only does it mix things up (to avoid the boredom thing) but I found that doing regular yoga in addition to my cardio and strength helped me with my range of motion and I was maintaining better form simply because I was more aware of how my body was moving.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    this probably isnt good for your ankle but something i have been doing is taking 500 steps (walking around or jogging in place) every 25 min -- to get 10,000 steps a day and get myself some exercise (i have a desk job)
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This might be a fun thing for you to look at, combining gaming and exercise...
    https://www.virzoom.com/
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    May want to keep an eye out for an inexpensive stationary bike. When I started on MFP, I was very limited due to joint issues and like you, didn't have a very deeply ingrained desire for exercise. But I found if I could hide out from the kids for a while (usually after hubby was home), put on a favorite playlist, and really go to town on the bike, it felt great mentally & physically. I ordered a decent, sturdy recumbent bike on Amazon for $129, but if that's not in your budget, maybe a garage sale or 2nd hand store.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    And FYI, once I became more fit, lost a few lbs, and my joint issues improved, I found myself enjoying exercise A LOT more (though it still requires prodding on my part.)
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Please look at all the 1200 calorie threads...1200 calories is not enough..for sure not someone over 200 lbs. Why do you want to be the "biggest loser" that is not sustainable.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    sbrandt37 wrote: »
    After reading your original post and various replies, it sounds like you actually like exercise, but hate pain, hate boredom, and hate being reminded of the things you used to do that you can no longer do because of the changes in your body and circumstances. Who doesn't hate those things? They suck! The solution is obviously to do something different.

I really feel for you. Losing the full function of your ankle is a big deal. The pain you suffer is a big deal. I imagine it is painful in a variety of ways, both physically and emotionally. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm also sorry for the loss of freedom that your current family circumstances entail, but that one is more by choice and I trust it is a worthwhile one.

That said, some of us who are a little older (I'm guessing from your profile pic that I have perhaps 20 years on you) or have dealt with physical disabilities (I have severe asthma that used to put me in the hospital at least annually, often set me back for months, and still does occasionally) know that bodies are imperfect and often change as you age. The secret to a happy life is doing the best you can with the hand you are dealt, not the one you wish you were dealt.

Instead of focusing on what you can't do, you have to find things that you can do that you enjoy. You are not doomed to doing the same boring, repetitive things over and over, just because you can't do Zumba. Yoga was the first thing I thought of. Sure, it isn't exactly cardio, but it isn't boring and, given how much I sweat every time I do it--whether from pain or exercise--it must be doing something! If that doesn't do it for you, there are tons of workout videos online, including ones designed for people with specific disabilities. Find something that works for you!

I also recommend that you think in terms of small, sustainable lifestyle changes, instead of X months of dieting/suffering. That's the best way to lose weight and keep it off. Modest calorie deficits, modest exercise, daily mindfulness, daily self-care. Those things add up to good long-term health and well-being.

In any case, don't give up! It sounds like you are going through a rough spell, but things will get better. Take care of yourself and try to do something to move yourself forward every day. And remember that every day you don't fall farther backward is a success!

Thank you very much. And probably with the age thing. I am 26. Thats part of why it bothers me so much. Other people my age can get around so well and I feel like Im 10-20 years older than I am right now :/
  • Verity1111
    edited November 2016
    Options
    aren't you the same girl yesterday that said you didn't own a scale?
    Maybe if you invested $15 in a scale, you could lose weight without worrying about excersize.
    The days are going to pass regardless on if you lose weight fast or slow, stop rushing, if you can't handle this process, how do you expect to maintain your weight loss for the rest of your life?

Ok youre seriously not getting that some people dont have money. I just told you that in the other thread. Also this is a post in a looking for motivation forum not a hey make me more annoyed forum. I have $1 in my bank account not that I should have to say that. If I dont have a scale its probably because I cant afford one...as I keep saying. And Im sick of saying.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Can your doctor /physio recommend some exercises for you? To build up ankle strength and prevent further injury. It must be frustrating to be reminded of the things you can't do anymore. Maybe try a physio led pilates class?

Maybe. IDK I dont have a PT. I never got PT. I guess because I have federal medical insurance so they just threw me out on my own. Ill look that up though... but Im kind of very broke lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I would start by looking into why your leg is still causing so much of an issue. I don't know what you did to it, and maybe everything that can be done has been done, but if not, you may be able to get some physical therapy to help the issues you are having. I broke my leg in a big, bad, horrible way three years ago, and while it took awhile to gain everything back, I now live a very active life with little issue. I also know the difference in weakness pain and pain that is an issue. I push through the weakness pain, maybe throw some ice on and take some Advil if it's really sore.

Another thought. A friend of mine has HORRIBLE knees. Her mentality is that she can sit on the couch and watch tv and be in pain, or she can go live her life and be in pain. She chooses to live her life. She hikes, walks her dogs, cycles, rides horses, and will even come dancing with me on occasion (I ballroom dance). Yeah, it hurts, and sometimes she has to move slowly or avoid certain things, but she doesn't let the pain hold her up.

Both of these are just some food for thought. Often time pain ends up ruling our lives when it shouldn't.

Also, if you hate the exercise you're doing, find something else. If you like t dance, then dance. Are there certain moves you can't do because of pain? Can you modify them? You like yoga, go for it! Can you take your kids out for walks? Walking is great, low impact exercise.

Yes a lot of moves I cant do because of pain. Im not sure how to modify them because its so quick. I cant handle all 3 kids at once with my leg. I move pretty slow. But I do walk my daughter to school. Thats about all the walking I get lately.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Sounds like it is time to switch up your routine. I have to do it every couple months or I go nuts.

This might be it...I just dont think Id be so sick of it if I were able to actually participate fully like I did before without my ankle hindering me.