Any other mom's out there struggling with the "balance" of i

Options
tagrady
tagrady Posts: 172 Member
Hi!
I'm a 32 year old mom of two young children 2.5 and 4.5. I'm currently balancing the children, working 50+ hrs/week, housework, you name it...same as you! love to join up with other people, so we can help motivate eachother, and loose the weight for good this time. I feel bad taking time out for myself at home and would love to hear other people's stories of how they make it work. MFP has been wonderful so far, and I feel like i'm making such healthier choices for myself & my family! Now if I could just find time to fit exercise in...

Replies

• Cortni27
    Cortni27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. I am a work at home mom and only work part time so I probably have it a bit easier, but it's still a struggle to balance. Since I am at home, all the housework, cooking, grocery shopping, etc. falls on me. Plus I want to make sure to spend quality time with my son (who is almost a year old). I'm at the gym 5 days a week and sometimes I feel guilty for taking him to the gym AGAIN, but I remind myself that he is getting social time with the other kids in the childcare that he doesn't get at home with just mom. And they have a bunch of new toys to play with so he likes that :)

I have to remind myself that I am doing this for him too- to be healthy so I can run around with him and play with him as he gets older and so I can be in his life for many years to come. Plus I am setting a good example for him to take care of his body when he gets older too. If I don't take care of myself now, he will have to take care of me when I'm older and I don't want to put that burden on him. Same thing with all the other things we have to do- if we don't take time to make sure we are healthy, we won't have the energy and health to do all the other things that need to be done.
  • TwinMamma09
    TwinMamma09 Posts: 140
    Options
    I can totally relate to you! I am turning 30 in a few months. I have twin girls that a 2 1/2. I work a full time job and a part-time job. I'm also finishing up my 2nd masters degree.

The way I make it work is I get up first thing in the morning to do my workout before my girls are even up. I also chose to use my gym at work which helps. I will do my grocery shopping and prepare most of my meals on the weekends.

It is not easy but once you find a routine, it gets easier as you go.

Good luck!!!
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes I can totally relate. Full-time Single mom of an almost 5 year old here(as in my son never goes on visitations with dad so I have him every night and every weekend). I work full-time, go to school part-time (6-8 credits). My life is a constant juggling act. Between church, friends, work, school, mothering, feeding my kid, cleaning, babysitting, exercising, logging...it gets to be a lot. But I have found I also do better when I micro manage my time. Yes it stinks to not be able to be spontaneous most of the time but I am more sane this way. So I schedule it in (most days I am good at sticking with a basic daily schedule).

I get up at 5 to exercise and study until 7 then start the getting ready and off to work. Then do dinner when we get home, cleaning, etc. I try to involve my son in these things so I can spend time with him and get stuff done. Then after he is in bed 8:30 or so I study until about 11 and then get back up and do it again. It's exhausting.
  • amywatkin
    amywatkin Posts: 25
    Options
    Can definately relate to this post! I too am a mum of 2 young children (age 7 and 3) and work 30 hours a week and run the household. Its a struggle to make time for myself, and I feel guilty doing it, but am slowly getting used to the idea that by taking time for me to exercise / concentrate on weight loss, I am helping everyone because I am a happier and heathier person and this has to benefit everyone (right??)
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i hear you there! mommy guilt is the most difficult of all. i have 4 kiddos, ages 4-11 and i homeschool too. while it isn't technically a full time job, i am pretty much working all day. my solution is to get up an hour early every day and do a workout dvd. right now i'm doing jillian's 30 day shred, which only takes 20 minutes! my new motto is: i can do anything for 20 minutes!

if you want it enough, you can do it too!

btw- i have SO much more energy since i've started! i've been walking for several months and working out with jillian for 9 days. my whole outlook has changed in that time! you can do it too! :flowerforyou:

feel free to friend me.
  • tagrady
    tagrady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I put the kids to bed tonight and snuck in 20 mins on the elliptical. Not great, but it's a start!
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    yup, i have 4.. two with special needs, major balancing act..
  • momof2kiddos
    Options
    Yup...I have 2 kids 7 and 2, work a full time job about a 45 min drive from home--2 days off a weeks with housework and other errands. I did join curves which is awesome i love it! I go 4 times a week 45 mins a day along with calorie counting
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Nothing new to add except, ditto. :happy:
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home dad with two kids, both jus 2 months shy of being 3 and 1. Half the reason I think I joined my gym is for the childcare they provide!
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm there with ya, sister. I have two kids and a 3/4 time job and am basically CEO of the house since hubby works so much i.e. I have do organize and do almost everything. I have some help but it's still mentally draining. It's nice to know that we're not alone, eh?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I can relate as well. I am a single mom of a 3 year old with a full time professional job. It's hard enough only seeing my son on the weekends and for 3 hours a night but I have been trying to include him in my workout. He likes my yoga dvds, he will try to do the moves with me and since walking after dinner is my primary form of exercise. I pop him in the jogging stroller and he loves the scenery. Also, he's a great little swimmer so we spend a day every weekend in the pool .

If only I could strike it rich and be able to stay home and spend more time with him...
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Oh I'd love a gym with childcare facilities. They rarely do it here (ireland).

I'm a mother of a boy and girl (nearly 3 and nearly 2), work 5 days week, up at 5.30am for work so exercising before work is out. I exercise 4/5nights a week. Oh and I have a husband too who I neglect ALL THE TIME!!! I feel for him but I need this time to reach my goal weight and then I will take a step back.

I think we should all be applauded for the effort it takes to do it all. It isn't easy.