Bad skin since losing weight

Options
Anyone else find this? Ever since I began counting calories again I've had a face covered in spots! I can't really figure out why this is. Any tips on how to improve this? I'm 26 so too old for teenage skin.

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Dieting can be stressful to the body. It is odd, but I get stress breakouts initially when I change macros especially. This last time it was itchy light rash on my upper chest/lower neck clavicle area and took 2 weeks to clear. I used to get face acne breakouts under stress when I was your age.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? Have you changed the foods you eat? Drinking enough water? Are you stressed?
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yep, same here. It has calmed down now 7 months in.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    That wS the opposite for me, my skin cleared up with the extra water I drank and the more healthy vegetables. I couldn't fit so many high cal foods in, like deserts and fries, so maybe that also helped. IDK, what are you eating now thats different to when you weren't logging calories?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Are you working out without washing your face before? That's the kicker for me and always corresponds with when I'm eating more consciously.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Wash pillowcase also. The dermatologist said that some of the acne can be caused by bacteria that feeds on the dead skin cells trapped in oil that can clog pores. He prescribed a topical antibiotic and retinol cream in my son's case and it cleared up in one month. The retinol encourages high turnover in cells and the topical antibiotic killed the bacteria that was making the angry looking red spots. Check with a dermatologist for your individual case though.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking enough water and if you're working out I cleanse my face before hand with a towelette and immediately after working out I wash my face.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I had really bad skin most my life, Definatly got worse dieting its begining to calm down now about 6 months in
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I developed acne at 30... it's a thing late onset acne. The two may not be related. I have a topical that helps.
  • aikilady
    aikilady Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    Anything that stresses the body can throw off hormonal balance and cause acne flare-ups, particularly for women who are not on oral contraceptives.
    Make sure you're eating enough to fuel your training-I found under eating while intensely training really screwed with mine. Calories will be different for everyone so you will have to play around and find out what works for you.
    I was trying to eat 14 to 1500 cal while intensely training plus living and active lifestyle.
    My body rebuild. I find that now I can eat about 1800 to 2000 cal per day and lose weight at a steady pace I'm very healthy and athletic now.
    If I did not train I would have to eat less to keep the calorie deficit but I was definitely under eating before.
    I found that a great vitamin supplement helps balance my hormones out as well, there are many different ones you can try I know we aren't supposed to promote products so I won't tell you the brands that I have used with success.
    Just do your research on some high quality PMT support vitamins and that will be a great place to start.
    Also for me coffee throws my hormones off I can only get away with one or 2 cups per week. There are many things that stress the body out… Acne is tricky but it comes from within almost always.
    Good luck, I know how hard it can be!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Any kind of change can cause hormonal fluctuations that can show up on your skin. I'd say just make sure you are keeping it clean and moisturized, and give it some time. Chances are it'll settle down on its own.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You haven't recently incorporated protein powder into your diet? Whey concentrate makes me break out!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    My jawbone is also breaking out. I don't feel stressed but I think the body can be stressed.

Also I've added more cheese than I used to eat and more cottage cheese. I might have to back off them a bit if things don't settle down soon:(
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fat are you consuming per day?
    Did you cut your calories drastically?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Sadly, teen skin can last well into your 40s, if not beyond.

Make sure that you shower after working out--rise out your hair, wash your body with soap.

Have you ever tried African Black Soap? You can get it at Target, Walgreens, etc...it's great for breakout-prone skin. Doing oil cleansing can help too.
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all replies here, sorry it took so long to get back on here! My skin has gotten worse since I posted. It's really getting me down.

I don't work out but I have a very busy and stressful life. I'm going to go and see if I can find a good medicated face wash today incase that helps.

My guess is it could be too much coffee/not enough water or sleep and my body being stressed by calorie deficit....but I'm obviously not willing to remove the deficit so it's gonna have to get used to it!!!!

I do struggle to drink water. Don't ask me why...I don't really know, I just don't enjoy it. I have up to 3 coffees a day. Maybe too much? And one small bottle of diet pop a day.

I had lovely clear skin when I was fatter :(

• _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It was the opposite for me. The only beverage I drink now is water with the occasional sweet drink or tea once every few weeks or so. Being hydrated in additional to daily exercise has taken years off of my skin.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    gabbyo23 wrote: »
    Anyone else find this? Ever since I began counting calories again I've had a face covered in spots! I can't really figure out why this is. Any tips on how to improve this? I'm 26 so too old for teenage skin.

My skin has cleared up except right before my period where I always get 1-2 pimples. I've always had skin problems from when I was a pre-teen to my 40's.
    I didn't change my diet much but I probably get more protein and vegetables/fruits than I did before counting calories. I drink mostly water or unsweetened tea.
    I use Noxema right now for my facial cleanser. I've used a lot of other things in the past but they didn't help much.
  • kymberleykennedy
    kymberleykennedy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    gabbyo23 wrote: »
    Thanks for all replies here, sorry it took so long to get back on here! My skin has gotten worse since I posted. It's really getting me down.

I don't work out but I have a very busy and stressful life. I'm going to go and see if I can find a good medicated face wash today incase that helps.

My guess is it could be too much coffee/not enough water or sleep and my body being stressed by calorie deficit....but I'm obviously not willing to remove the deficit so it's gonna have to get used to it!!!!

I do struggle to drink water. Don't ask me why...I don't really know, I just don't enjoy it. I have up to 3 coffees a day. Maybe too much? And one small bottle of diet pop a day.

I had lovely clear skin when I was fatter :(

Maybe add a low calorie dilute juice to your water for taste. Once you get into drinking at least 3 litres of water per day it's actually quite easy. Just little and often. It's ok to have caffeine and soda but if that's all you're drinking, that won't be helping. Also try to get at least 6 hrs of restful sleep and eat healthy. Try that and see how things are after 3 weeks (once your skin has fully renewed itself).
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Happens to me (any kind of weight/diet change will result in breakouts). Cleanse and tone twice a day, drink your water. It'll settle.