Late night eating

Options
I work two jobs, most days I work from 8:30am until midnight or later. Some nights when I get off work I am starving. After working a 16 hour day, I'm too tired to cook anything and need to get to bed as I'm up again at 7am. I find myself picking up the worst late night snacks, leftover pizza, or some other fast food that I can grab on my way home. What is a good healthy late night snack?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    When you do cook, cook big. Make enough leftovers for a few days like a pot of chilli, BBQ beef snadwiches, burgers (make 2-3 times what you need), scramble 6-10 eggs instead of 2-3. Left overs are a huge help.

Easy snacks are good to have on hand for a meal substitute. Prewashed veggies and dip, or a ready to eat salad, or a bunch of nuts, or even a protein smoothie.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't work the hours you do, but I do sometimes work a shift that has me getting home late, and often a little hungry, usually not ready to wind down, and possibly a little cranky. I am prone to making bad choices, too. Knowing what I usually crave at that time helps, so I can plan a snack accordingly. Last night, I had a sweet tooth, so I had some graham crackers and PB. Sometimes I want salty, so some hummus and pretzels or pita chips or salsa and chips is a good choice. I also try to plan enough calories for a glass of wine if I'm in the mood. Granted, this is all if I'm being good, planning ahead, and sticking to my guns with myself!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It is extremely difficult to make good food choices when you are tired. The only solution is to make those decisions when you are not tired, by planning ahead. Cook ahead of time and freeze some meals. Buy prepared meals and keep them on hand. Buy decent foods that you can eat that do not require cooking. You can do it!

Lately, I have been keeping greek yogurt and nuts on hand for snacks. Both are reasonably tasty and filling, and neither spikes your blood sugar. I also like peanut butter on crackers or celery or apple slices.
  • mach311
    mach311 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep an apple, banana, or snack bag of almonds in your car. Make sure you eat that as soon as you get off of work. That will quiet the hunger / cravings and allow you to make it home to eat something sensible.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Anything that fits your macros and doesn't put you over your calories is a good healthy late night snack. don't overthink it.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I keep a variety of protein bars around just in case. If I walk in the door and want to go pass out, I'll mow down one or two of them. Choose the right kinds and you've got high protein, fiber and usually lower sugar and modest carbs. It beats the hell out of burgers from the McD's drive-thru on the way home from work.
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    debooo25 wrote: »
    I work two jobs, most days I work from 8:30am until midnight or later. Some nights when I get off work I am starving. After working a 16 hour day, I'm too tired to cook anything and need to get to bed as I'm up again at 7am. I find myself picking up the worst late night snacks, leftover pizza, or some other fast food that I can grab on my way home. What is a good healthy late night snack?

With days like that, I would go with a meal replacement like Soylent, Joylent, or Super Body Fuel - skip the junk foods and go the easier healthier route.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    PB&J, rye crackers and laughing cow, pre-packaged TJ's salads or veggie bowls, Amy's organics frozen bowls have some nice choices. Lots of things that will be satisfying but take minimum prep.
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, prep prep prep..... but we all know this is easier said than done with a crazy schedule, so if you find yourself not able to prep then try to eat more satiating foods earlier in your day, get a solid breakfast in and bring some protein with you to make a few shakes, double scoop and add some oats, also hit the grocery store and buy some of those prepackaged salad bowls, they have a bunch that are under 250 cals and are pretty filling, eat some salami, buy some pistachios, oikos triple play greek yogurt, get some, ziplock steam bags and make some chicken and veggies in the microwave, make sure you season it good though cause steamed chicken sucks lol ..

There's tons of options man, i was in the same boat as you and its just about making that adjustment, when you can eat and have the time to cook a solid healthy meal, just make a little extra!!!
  • missafwilliams
    missafwilliams Posts: 49 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have a huge problem with late night eating or well I had.
    I would eat easily 2000 calories at night. In the day I would eat healthy, but at night while studying or working I would eat anything I could find. A pack of cookies, white bread, cake, just a whole lot of carbs.

I somewhat overcame this by buying easy to prepare healthy meal.
    My favourite is 2 minute oats.
    Also, eggs and mushrooms.
    When I want something sweet, I would make a yummy cup of hot chocolate. ( it's better than cookies and ice cream I figured.)

Won't leave you feeling guilty afterwards.