I purchased a rower for home

scootergirl110
scootergirl110 Posts: 44 Member
edited November 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I just ordered this: Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine. For the most part I am leery of home exercise equipment that ends up collecting dust, but I've done a lot of research about rowers and their fitness benefits. Does anyone else have one? Any positive stories about folks who use one on a regular basis and see results?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited November 2016
    I've got a Concept2 rower that I bought new from the factory 5 months ago.

Used it almost every day and rowed about 100k meters each month (which is a lot of rowing) for the 1st 3 months because I was in "weight-loss" mode and wanted to burn the cals and the fat off fast. It worked!!

Lost about 30# in that time and reached my goal wt of 165 and 16% BF (goal is < 15) but, since then, I went into maintenance/recomp mode. So, I really didn't need to do any more cardio and haven't used it much since, except on those few days when I ate "too much" and needed to burn a few excess calories.

That said, I do not consider it a waste of money, even though it is currently sitting unused most of the time. It served its purpose, it's there if I need it again and I have no intention of selling it, even though I know I easily could.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    I purchased a Concept2 Rower a couple of years ago. It's one of the 3 forms of cardio I do (along with running and Spinning). I use it 2-3x weekly. Closing in on 4 million meters.

Like any piece of gear or program - it's only as good as it's used or if it's used.

Focus on your form so you don't get hurt. Here is a resource to get you started in the event you are not familiar with it. http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I'm on the brink or ordering a stationary bike and am feeling the same. I do use the treadmill a lot but I want something else a little easier on the legs but still good cardio. I *think* I'll use it but I have too much 'stuff' already.
  • scootergirl110
    The Concept2 rower is THE one I wanted. Unfortunately it is not in my budget at this time. Thank you very much for the feedback. And good for you, sft1372 and DM01234! Mine should arrive next week. I'm looking forward to rowing, shedding 15lbs and toning up more. You know, when I logged on here 25 days ago for the first time, I didn't think I would stick to it. I am seeing results, however, and that's a huge motivator. Onward!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    It's a great full body workout, that's for sure. Good luck and enjoy!
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    I've just bought a concept 2 and I've just got my bedroom sorted so I can get it out easy now and get it put away.

I've checked out the Pete Plan but I'm going to drop the starting distance down to 3000 metres but I like the look of the variation of stuff to do on it as I'm not really sure what I can do with it.

Planning on starting working out again next week.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    My sister works for Concept 2 - they make great quality products, and glad to hear you like them!
  • scootergirl110
    edited November 2016
    I am afraid that the one I chose won't compare to the Concept2. I have used a Concept2 rower at the gym. It is most definitely a quality product. I hope when mine arrives it is at the very least OK, in comparison.
  • michael_hatten
    michael_hatten Posts: 32 Member
    My wife is good with her Concept 2. The thing that makes it good is the fluidity of the motion. It should feel like there is some stored momentum in it that you tap into. We had a shock absorber type rower but seldom used it because it just didn't feel right.

My wife swears by her Concept 2. She uses it 5 days a week and has no plan to ever stop using it. Her goal is to burn at least 1000 met-minutes of exercise each week, twice the CDC minimum recommendation.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    My wife is good with her Concept 2. The thing that makes it good is the fluidity of the motion. It should feel like there is some stored momentum in it that you tap into. We had a shock absorber type rower but seldom used it because it just didn't feel right.

My wife swears by her Concept 2. She uses it 5 days a week and has no plan to ever stop using it. Her goal is to burn at least 1000 met-minutes of exercise each week, twice the CDC minimum recommendation.

We had one of the shock absorber type rowers also, it was a piece of junk. I used it a few times, realized how crappy it was, and it sat in the corner for a few months until we got rid of it at a garage sale.

I use a Concept 2 rower at the gym regularly and if I was going to buy a cardio machine for home, it would be my #1 choice. Rowing is a great full-body cardio workout. In the past I've owned a treadmill, a Nordic Track ski machine, upright and recumbent stationary bikes, and IMO none of them have given the overall quality of workout that a good rower does.

OP, I looked that rower up on Amazon. It had pretty good user reviews and seems to be a decent machine. As you said, it's not on the level of a Concept 2 but hopefully it will serve the purpose for you and give you some great workouts.
  • scootergirl110
    The one I bought has a magnetic tension system with (8) levels of adjustable resistance. It won't be the quality of a Concept2, but that's OK for now. It shipped today!
  • scootergirl110
    edited November 2016
    What I would really like to do is keep track of my measurements from the time I start using it to a few months later. I plan on, or hope to go into major weight-loss mode when I incorporate it in my routine.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    What I would really like to do is keep track of my measurements from the time I start using it to a few months later. I plan on, or hope to go into major weight-loss mode when I incorporate it in my routine.

Taking/tracking your measurements is a great idea. Also, it may go without saying, but make sure your diet/calorie intake is in check. Exercise is great for a lot of reasons and can help with the caloric deficit, but as the old saying goes, "you can't out-train a bad diet"! ;) Your weight loss will primarily be driven by your diet/calorie intake.
  • scootergirl110
    edited November 2016
    Yes. Absolutely. I've been tracking cals for 28 days. I try to eat no more than 1,300/day. I started at 134# and I'm down to 130, slow and easy seems to be doing it. I'm only 5'2" and a small frame. My goal is to lose another 13lbs and tone up more. I have strong legs, but want to work on my upper body. Thanks for the encouragement, AnvilHead!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I just ordered a rowing machine this week as well! Have you settled on a workout plan yet? I haven't been physically active for a couple of years now, so my plan is to start slow for about a month. In January, I'll start the 24 week Pete Plan for Beginners, which a lot of Concept2 users seem to find success with.

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/beginner-training/
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I ordered my bike!
  • scootergirl110
    It arrived yesterday. It took me about 45 minutes to assemble it without any glitches. I have to say I'm quite pleased so far. A Concept2 it is not, but it is a well built machine and amazingly quiet. I went straight to #7 resistance as the others just didn't seem to do it for me. I will begin a 6X/week rowing routine as of tonight. I'm very excited and visualizing the results for motivation!
  • scootergirl110
    Love the rower!
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Can you store it up against a wall? I have a garage gym, but I already have a treadmill, spin bike, and a Maxi Climber coming from Santa ;). I would like a rower next for my bday in July (husband willing!).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Can you store it up against a wall?

The WaterRower, which is comparable to the Concept2 in terms of feel and build, can be stored vertically.

The water tank means it's more difficult to change resistance, cf the fan, but that's less of an issue in practice.