Owl

Options
I tried to read a few introductions, but I have noticed that about 10 pages of introductions have been added in the past 24 hours, so I don't pin a lot of faith that anyone will actually read this. But if you do, you are probably doing the same thing I am. Making a positive change in your life - I congratulate you!!

A little about me, I am over 60, ride my own motorcycle, play the Djembe and started guitar lessons a couple of weeks ago. I'm active in the Pagan community in my neck of the woods and I recently stopped smoking ... and saw a major weight gain. I've put on over 25 pounds in just a couple of months.

Mind you, I am not a small woman. I went from 332 pounds to 245 and it took a very long time to accomplish that.. I was comfortable there for a few years actually. Perhaps I should have shot for my original goal of 190, but 245 didn't feel bad. Then I stopped smoking, which is a good thing, and everyone assured me that it is much better to be morbidly obese rather than to be a smoker. It's unfortunate, but I don't wish to be either morbidly obese or a smoker. So, drawing a line in the sand here .....

Time to climb down from the Pity Wagon where I've been sitting saying all sorts of things to myself that since I am doing the "good" thing not killing myself with cigarettes that it's okay to do everything else. Eat too much, spend too much, sleep too much. Not exactly the lifestyle I wanted in my Golden Years.

So here I go .... every journey begins with a single step and I'm taking mine right now.

Replies

• mummyflippers
    Options
    Good luck with your journey - you're on your way! Welcome to mfp, feel free to add me as a friend.

Louise
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Way to grab a hold of your life at any age. I think this is so admirable because that is a lot of habits to break and you seem to consistantly improve on yourself. WTG!!
  • mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    you've come to the right place! Good luck
  • TiraG
    TiraG Posts: 68
    Options
    The body can achieve what the mind can perceive! You're on your way to a healthier you. One step at a time! Congratulations on making that lifestyle change. You CAN do it! :smile:
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Our parrots need a play date. :smile:
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I don't really have to tell you you're doing great because those are some really hard things you did!
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well, we are close the same age (I'm nearly 60), but at the opposite ends of the faith spectrum! Still, we have the same struggles. Congratulations on taking that first step. Just remember to be patient with yourself and to congratulate yourself for every positive thing you do--even the little ones. This takes time. I've been working at this for 2 1/2 years now. But although I still have a ways to go, I feel a million times better than I did when I started, and I have no desire to go backwards now.
  • reenpayne
    reenpayne Posts: 21
    Options
    welcome to mfp, you can do it. Remember this..... weight loss is a journey not a race. Weight maintenance is a lifestyle, feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the stopping smoking and on deciding to join MFP! You'll like it here. The people are great and the encouragement and support you get here is AWESOME! If you want to feel free to add me and good luck on losing the weight you want to lose!!!
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well some of us did read your introducion. I can't speak for anyone else but I rather enjoyed it. You sound to have an interesting mix of interest and a positive outlook. Congrats on the non-smoking. That is one of my goals so I realise how hard it is.
    good luck on your journey. Everyone is wonderful here and very supportive. Add me as a friend as I like to surround myself with positive people with simular goals and interest.
    Welcome to MFP
  • ladyeyessogreen
    ladyeyessogreen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the stopping smoking!!!
    Love your hobbies and your faith, Owl. ;)

Welcome to MFP! I find that people here are supportive and encouraging, and I hope you do as well. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • triciap79
    triciap79 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You have come the best place I have ever found for support, encouragement and motivation. Congratulations on quitting smoking. I wish you the best of luck on your journey towards a healthier you. Feel free to add me if you would like additional support. :o)