Fitbit, worth it?

Options
Considering getting a fit bit now that I'm a bit more serious about my weightloss, a and have to much to lose.

So, to get the expensive I've worth the hr monitor, or the cheap one without it?

Which is more worth it?

Replies

• prettyeyes931
    prettyeyes931 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Blaze and it's so worth it!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't have any use for the HR monitor. I don't think that it would be very accurate and I don't think it would really give me any useful information. I have one without (Alta) and it does everything I need it to.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Try searching fitbit in the search bar. I have heard both good and bad about all of them!! I was on my search and finally went with the Garmin VivoActive HR. I wish you the best of luck in figuring out what wearable tracker is best for you!!
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Generally, an activity tracker of most any kind is, in my opinion a great investment. It will give you an added sense of motivation and accountability. Your timing is great as they are on sale everywhere now for the holidays. HR monitoring can be helpful for specific activities but most people find simple step tracking a huge benefit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Get the one without the HR. It's irrelevant to what Fitbits do.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Considering getting a fit bit now that I'm a bit more serious about my weightloss, a and have to much to lose.

So, to get the expensive I've worth the hr monitor, or the cheap one without it?

Which is more worth it?

It's really going to depend upon how many bells & whistles you want (or need).

The most basic FitBit is around $50. It syncs to MFP & counts steps. If your aerobics is step based this is going to be a decent estimate.

I have a FitBit One (around $100). One step up. It counts steps, stairs, and monitors sleep. No heart rate element which is fine because my cardio isn't a huge calorie burn any way.

Heart rate versions will be pricier. HRMs are designed for steady state cardio, useless for most everything else.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    For some it would be worth it...for others like myself, a FitBit is totally worthless. Look into the various features and determine if they have any value for you as per how you're going to use it.

Personally, I'd pass on one with a HRM as it's not particularly relevant to what a FitBit does and in my estimation could throw off accuracy (which should be taken with a grain of salt as well)
  • D4LB
    D4LB Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    They are great for motivation! I have the fitbit blaze really happy with it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    HRMs are designed for steady state cardio, useless for most everything else.

HRMs are designed to tell you how fast your heart is beating. No matter what you're doing at the time.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Alta and I love it! Caller/Text ID are a bonus, I have a reminder to move 250 steps every hour (I work a desk job) and I enjoy some of the personal challenges to name a few. I'm purchasing the Charge 2 for my bf this Christmas.
  • quintrovert
    quintrovert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My phone tracks steps and I use the fitbit app without having to buy the hardware. You can synch it up with mfp as well.
  • cfritch2171
    cfritch2171 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and I love it. I love seeing my activity, how active I was each hour, it tracks my sleep, and I can connect it to MFP.

If I want a more accurate idea of my calories I use my Polar HR
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Try searching fitbit in the search bar. I have heard both good and bad about all of them!! I was on my search and finally went with the Garmin VivoActive HR. I wish you the best of luck in figuring out what wearable tracker is best for you!!

I've got the same one as well. Had it 4 days now. Had a different Garmin one that I did not like. Biggest thing of the Garmin's over the FitBits (for me) is the Garmins are waterproof. None of the Fitbit's are so they were out for me. I like to flyfish so it was a big deal to me.

I would not want one that didn't do the HR. But it is a personal preference.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't have any use for the HR monitor. I don't think that it would be very accurate and I don't think it would really give me any useful information. I have one without (Alta) and it does everything I need it to.

I too have the Alta, i have no trust in HR monitor devices. Especially for the exercise i do, which is just walking.

My fitbit is a great motivator, and is roughly accurate with calorie burns, but i had to do some tweaking to the numbers to get it right.. eg Increased my age, reduced height and stride length.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge2 and I'm obsessed with it. It has a lot of options as far as recording workouts which I appreciate, and will vibrate and remind you to walk 250 steps every hour during the day. It also has the option to change the band for a more "fashion friendly" appearance, though I haven't used this feature.

Pretty sure it's on sale on their website right now for $129.
  • ThomasDavy
    ThomasDavy Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I spoke to a local retailer, they warned me away from fitbits.
    Garmin is the way to go!
    I purchased a Garmin Vivoactive HR, and use it with the HR strap nearly daily.
    The HR strap helps give a more accurate calorie burn for exercise IMO.
    Good luck!!
  • ladyj22
    ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one...and it's amazing!! Definitely keeps me motivated!!
  • mmcallister
    mmcallister Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the charge HR and really like it and the HB monitoring for my workouts. I am able to track how hard I am working out or just went thought the motions. Having target heart beat for aerobic workouts I find motivates me to push my workouts on the days I am not so into it. IMO if you are working out aerobically I recommend the HB monitor if not than you may not need it. Form experience I would say that fitbit bands are not durable. I have the charge and wife and daughter have the alta and all of our bands need replacement after 6 months which is kinda lame. If it will motivate you then go for it lots of good deals are out for xmas
  • Shutterbuggg
    Shutterbuggg Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have the Surge and I really like it! It motivates me to move and it is good for getting an idea how my workouts are effecting my calories.

woot.com has refurbished Fitbits on sale for super cheap today
    https://sport.woot.com/offers/your-choice-fitbit-36?ref=w_cnt_gw_zlm_bs_1
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit HR and it was the right choice for me! I have a very active job where I'm walking a lot but also moving around heavy boxes frequently, so getting my heart rate up. I also lift and do aerial dance which aren't step based. I like that it gives me a more accurate calorie read since some days are more strenuous than others and it syncs up to MFP.