Help on preventing the weekend binge...

Options
I'm so well behaved during the week and then the weekend hits and I'm eating like no ones business. Any tips to stay on track during he weekend?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I save calories all week so I can have fun on the weekends.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP lets you view your net calories for the week.

Some people eat less during the week to save calories for the weekend, while maintaining an overall calorie deficit.

• RocheBeukes
    RocheBeukes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Okay thanx, will try that.....
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Otherwise try to plan your weekends a little better, I know that my water intake on weekends is way less than during the week so I aim to drink more water each weekend, I also aim to exercise more due.
    You could also look at having a later, smaller portion breakfast (10-11am) and then pushing your lunch and dinner later and with more calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    That depends totally on what "so well behaved" means, but I suspect it means undereating and depriving yourself from foods you like. In that case, make sure you are eating well (getting in all the nutrition you need, including sufficient calories) and food you like (including treats you can eat in moderate amounts). If it's not, you just have to not overeat. Follow your meal plan even though it's the weekend. One tip could be to stay home if you are tempted to overeat outside of your home, or get out of your home if you are tempted to overeat at home.

Or it could be reframing your mind so that "the weekend binge" is no longer a concept.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Do/eat exactly the same on a weekend as you do through the week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot on weekends ... and then I can eat more. :)
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you have a significant other let them decide your weigh in date. Get them to make it as random and frequent or infrequent as they want and then if you dont know when it it coming you will tend to try extra hard everyday so as to not run the risk of having a bad day on the scales.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Keep logging so that you are aware of how much you are eating.
    Eat at larger deficit during the week to account for the extra calories on the weekend.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Save calories during the week (without going too low and getting into the eat/binge cycle) and keep busy during the weekends. Take up an active weekend project and use up more calories than you do in the week!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking on the weekends? While I can have the occasional glass of wine, regular drinking sabotages my weight loss efforts for several reasons - I eat more while drinking and don't sleep well that night, which makes me less likely to exercise and more likely to overindulge in carbs the next day.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What I've discovered is having a plan and being prepared is key. My weeks tend to be better because of the structure, having lunches prepared, etc. Weekends go off the rails for me because unless I plan ahead I don't have meal plans, I don't eat on any kind of regular basis, and then I end up "freelancing." That's never a good thing for me. So, for me, the key is having a plan in place and, if applicable, having the meals ready to go to stay on plan.
  • SqueakyBeans88
    SqueakyBeans88 Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Maybe do what you normally do during the week, but what I do is stay BUSY... do some DIY, a project, put scrapbooks and photo albums together, make something, meal prep, see friends/family, hit the shops, go for a long walk, cinema etc. I think of food so much less when I'm well occupied!

I also like to push breakfast and lunch together into a later "brunch" sometimes, so more calories than either of those meals but still saving calories overall for the day, maybe for a bigger evening meal or glass of wine.

I like a few treats on the weekend like anyone, maybe even the occasional takeaway... but what also helps me is to make 1 hour of every Saturday/Sunday morning an hour of ME time in the gym no matter what, even if I decide to go easy and not push myself too much, even if I "bargain" with myself and say I'll only stay 30 mins (but then I always stay longer once I get going!) because getting yourself there is better than not going at all! I may not always want to go, sometimes I REALLY don't, but I sure as hell NEVER regret it once I come out of the gym. And it feels great to know that the 300-600 calories burned each session allows for some extra wiggle room the rest of the day! So no guilt!

So for me, staying busy plus 1 hour in 24 spent in the gym = an "in control" weekend with wiggle room for treats!

But even if you "fall off the wagon" a bit. Forget it, move on, start again. Tomorrow is a new day!
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    First take the time to identify a few "cheat meals" you enjoy. For me it's Chipotle, Burgers and Pizza. Then, see what you can do to make all of them less damaging. For Chipotle I have a bowl with no cheese, sour cream or guac (Fat is high calorie) which makes it roughly a 650 calorie meal. Burgers, skip the bacon, cheese and mayo, get bison if possible and and you've cut out a few hundred calories. Pizza, get chicken and vegetables and pack all but a couple slices into the freezer for later before you start eating!

Next, don't go into these meals hungry. Eat something healthy earlier in the day to start with.

Also, if you get a better-than-usual workout in you've earned some calories to play with!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Weekends are easier for me than work days almost because I only eat two meals on weekends because I sleep in.

I sleep in, wake up, have a moderate brunch, and still have a lot of calories left for dinner.

I also weigh in on Sunday mornings which I think helps to discourage me from overeating on Saturdays.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym on Saturday, even for a light workout, really helps me stay focused and mindful of my eating.