Talked to multiple counselors and attempted self help methods, but the binge eating continues. HELP?

Options
CookieMonsterr66
CookieMonsterr66 Posts: 5 Member
edited October 2016 in Motivation and Support
I binge eat about once a week now. The longest I've gone without binging is 2 months over the summer, but I still struggled with constant thoughts about food every day. Following my binges which typically last 2-3 days, I fast for 2 days to compensate for the binge. The binge eating has gotten worse since I injured myself last week. So my coping mechanism, over-exercising, is no longer an option. I struggle with fasting too. My blood sugar and hormones are completely messed up from binging and fasting so often. I don't know what to do. I've tried going to several different therapists and counselors, but it didn't help. I read the book, Brain Over Binge and countless other self help books..None of them helped change my mindset! I'm at a loss here. Any advice? I'm desperate to try anything

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Potentially some non-food-related changes might help. Mindfulness meditation has been proven to help several anxiety and depression type disorders. Try the headspace app.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Stop fasting, it's not working. There are plenty of other ways to reach your goals. Eat a decent amount of protein, fats, and carbs. It might even be a good idea to eat at maintenance for the next few weeks in order for your body to adjust.
  • Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Do you keep a journal? Just wondering if there are triggers that set things off. Or precursors you could spot and then head things off.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about an eating disorder clinic (or know if there is one near you)? I know people who have also used something called the Food and Feelings Workbook with success.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first thought as well to break the pattern is to give up the fasting.

It's possibly a sense of deprivation fuelling the binges. Stop depriving yourself entirely and the cycle is broken.
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have had binge eating disorder for over 25 years and can confirm the binge then fast cycle and over exercising just makes it worse. I do best when eat 3 meals a day every day if I feel like it or not. When body gets used to regular consistent feeding it seems to kill off all the cravings that drive the binge. Emotionally binge eating is no better than binge drinking or any short term fix that ultimately does more harm. It is a cycle that only you can break, you eventually are desperate enough to do so but only you can decide when is desperate enough. My sponsor used to say rock bottom is wherever you choose to stop digging.

there is a binge eating support group on MFP
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/726-binge-eating-support-group

• dice80
    dice80 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I binge eat about once a week now. The longest I've gone without binging is 2 months over the summer, but I still struggled with constant thoughts about food every day. Following my binges which typically last 2-3 days, I fast for 2 days to compensate for the binge. The binge eating has gotten worse since I injured myself last week. So my coping mechanism, over-exercising, is no longer an option. I struggle with fasting too. My blood sugar and hormones are completely messed up from binging and fasting so often. I don't know what to do. I've tried going to several different therapists and counselors, but it didn't help. I read the book, Brain Over Binge and countless other self help books..None of them helped change my mindset! I'm at a loss here. Any advice? I'm desperate to try anything

I have been reading the book "Brain over Binge" and it has some very good points. You can get it on kindle too.