Calorie deficit and no exercise?

Options
berealx
berealx Posts: 21 Member
edited November 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have been sick for several days and it had me thinking. Can you lose weight just staying in a calorie deficit and no exercise? I would love to see a discussion on this :).

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you set up MFP with your accurate stats and a reasonable rate of loss it will calculate a calorie goal for you that would enable you to lost weight without doing any exercise. If you do exercise, you are meant to eat back those calories so that you always NET the goal that MFP provided you.

So yes, it's possible and many people lose weight without doing purposeful exercise, simply by keeping calories in less than total calories burned.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    berealx wrote: »
    I have been sick for several days and it had me thinking. Can you lose weight just staying in a calorie deficit and no exercise? I would love to see a discussion on this :).

Sure you can. Weight loss is about calories. You just need to eat at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

I lost 50lbs without any exercise, and I'm now several years into maintenance still without intentional exercise. I control my weight by my calorie intake.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can. Think about all the men and women who have limitations/medical/health reasons for why they cannot exercise and still lose weight.
  • magicherry
    magicherry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is MFP talling you you are not eating enough when you close your diary at the end of the day?

My MFP target is 1500 but I aim for 1250. If I go less than 1000 MFP suggests (popup) that I am not eating enough.

Note: I was diagnosed w gallbladder disease in Oct so have to develop a new menu of foods that wont trigger the symtoms. Not fun being sick, but have lost weight. I wish you luck with your illness and recovery and MFP goals!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You would likely lose weight but you would be deconditioned.

Lighter, sure. Healthy, no.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

How are you defining healthy? Because I'm in excellent health by every marker my doctor uses and I don't do intentional exercise, besides being active in my daily routine. My latest blood panel /stats are posted in my profile, feel free to point out where I'm so unhealthy :p
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at deficit regardless of lack of exercise you will still lose.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Healthy and fit are two different things.
  • Uandi328
    Uandi328 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Healthy and fit are two different things.

Does it matter?

And this is an honest question. Not trying to be confrontational. I could see how fit = healthy and healthy = fit. Isn't all a matter of semantics? How exactly do you measure fitness? is it ones ability to run 1 mile? 10? 26? LIft 150 pounds? Does being fit even matter in this day an age? We no longer need to run away from cheetahs or lions to save our lives. So...? Now HEALTHY...LOTS of markers to indicate health. One of the most significant (research backs me on this) is WEIGHT. So generally speaking, lighter does = healthy. No?

Please forgive the run-on. I am thinking while typing. I'd love to see your thoughts on this.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Absolutely you can. Think about all the men and women who have limitations/medical/health reasons for why they cannot exercise and still lose weight.

This. I'm recovering from a significant car accident and I have what can be at time debilitating depression and migraines. I would love to have a "strict schedule" that I adhere to as far as exercise goes, but alas. I stay in my deficit though and I'm good.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Initially I ended up cutting my cardio (not my strength training though, but it burns very little calories). When I was fat, it worked. Now that I'm lean it's pretty painful to try to cut without cardio. It's possible but there's like NO room for error and I have to eat so little.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    berealx wrote: »

I've lost over 40lbs so far this year with just calorie counting and no exercise/lifting.