Kind of down today and tempted to "self medicate" with food!

Options
Hey everyone - I've been trying to get some reassurance on my own but I'm home alone and don't have anyone around to do this right now. So maybe someone reading this will understand and just tell me "It's ok, don't stress out about it!"

The situation is that I trapped a stray cat in my yard yesterday, which I'd been feeding for a few weeks. I took him to my regular vet's office only to find that they were closed! I had assumed they were open every day but for some reason they just weren't!

I thought about just taking him home and trying again tomorrow but didn't think I could trap him a second time. Meanwhile, the cat was stressing out in the cage, so I decided, even if it cost more, I would take him to the way more expensive veterinary hospital down the street (not only to get him fixed, but also he had some really wicked-looking sores behind his ears, like bite marks).

Long story short, they took care of him and I have him back, but it cost about 3 times what my own vet would have charged. I accepted that as my "punishment" for not checking my vet's schedule ahead of time. But I have a friend who works for a rescue organization, and she's all upset, wants me to fax her the invoice, wanting to know why I didn't call her first, etc. etc.

I understand she's just trying to be helpful but frankly it's just stressing me out! My feeling is, I know I screwed up but it's over, I'm paying for it, and the cat's doing well so the only harm is to my credit card.

But - it's cloudy outside, I'm home for the day with a sore foot (can't exercise right now either, which normally would make me feel better!), and I'm just brooding over it.

And there's an almost full box of Breyer's Chocolate chip Ice Cream in the freezer ...

Sigh!! Well, even if I eat too much of it, I know I can go back on the Plan tomorrow. But I think I'd be less tempted if I could just get some positive thoughts coming my way.

Anyone? Bueller? ;-) (thanks in advance!)

Replies

• leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    in my experience with using food for self medicating, it feels fine at first but in the end...it makes everything worse. the guilt, the negative self talk of "why did you do that" blah blah you know the drill. I suggest, getting out out of the house. Book at the coffee shop, go visit a friend, take in a movie or whatever just try to get your mind off of it.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I think people get paid nowadays to walk others' dogs. If you need some extra cash......
  • Lily0013
    Lily0013 Posts: 28
    Options
    You did a wonderful thing for an animal that could not possibly help itself. You shouldn't feel bad at all.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Don't do it, just like alcohol, it only fixes it temporarily and you just wake up with the same problem AND a hangover (food & regret hangover in this case). Be strong, and know you did a good thing, there's always the next paycheck. :happy:
  • cmckenzie1913
    Options
    Be STRONG! Life thorws you lemons... make sugar free lemonade! Do go for the bryers! Its isnt your friend. Think of the good you just did to that cat. You went out of your way to save one of God's creatures...save yourself also DONT EAT CAUSE UR SAD...it only makes you sadder! Im proud of you and I dont event know you! Be strong:flowerforyou:
  • dventouras
    dventouras Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your friends reaction. You did a very nice thing, just think of the calories you burned trapping the cat in the first place:)
    If you can do it, just have a very small bowl while reading all these positive responses. Good Luck!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eating ice cream won't make the cat any better or shut your friend up. You didn't screw up, you did a nice things. You showed compassion to an abandoned, injured animal. How can that be a bad thing in any way? Your friend is over reacting. She needs to take a deep breath and stop coming on so strong, but all that said, no matter what don't LET her make you feel bad for doing something good. As you said, it is done and over with, so put it behind you and move on... without ice cream!
    PS
    Don't be afraid to tell your friend to back off either. Maybe she doesn't realize how strong she is coming on or that she is making you feel bad. Sounds like she needs a wake up call!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Maybe you spent too much, but God love ya for caring for that cat. I know I love when people go above and beyond to help an animal. The bill is there whether you eat or don't eat. So why compound the situation and make yourself feel worse by eating too much? Take care of yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You did something wonderful by helping an animal that couldn't help itself. You shouldn't feel like you are being punished and you definitely shouldn't feel bad in any way about what you did. It took a lot of courage to do it, and even more to go down the street and pay 3 times as much. That tells me you are a very caring person.

My advice about the ice cream: If you want some, have some. But don't eat it thinking it will make you feel better. Food can't do that. Only love and support from people (and cats, dogs, birds, etc) can. My favorite motto right now is "Just keep swimming." Google it and you will understand why ;)

Best of luck to you!
  • HoLynne
    HoLynne Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How lucky that cat is to have stumble by your place. Your deed will not go unrewarded believe me! Wait for it and it will be so much better than a load of ice cream or a tongue lashing from a "friend".
  • hannahbaby417
    Options
    Step away from the freezer! You did an amazing thing rescuing that cat. So you paid a little too much for it...the cat is on its way to recovery and that's what's really important. Don't let stress or guilt lead you to make an unhealthy decision. Go for a walk or run outside. I know I always feel better after doing that or if you want to eat something- try frozen fruit (like blackberries) with whipped cream. It's a great sweet fix. You should also look into sugar free chocolate. Those are perfect for when you need a chocolate fix. But whatever you do, don't eat the ice cream...you'll feel even worse after you eat it. Good luck and great job on saving the poor little kitty : )
  • Anita1271
    Anita1271 Posts: 56
    Options
    You did nothing wrong!! Don't beat yourself up! You took care of the cat and that is very admirable. Most people wouldn't do that!! You should feel proud of yourself!!! As for self medicating with the ice cream, don't do it! Get a good book or watch a funny movie, something to keep your mind off of the ice cream. I sometimes do the same thing, with food but I feel horrible about it afterwards. You will be proud of yourself if you don't give in to the ice cream!! And good job on helping the cat!!! Don't let your friend make you feel bad!! Hang in there!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • meggles_dvm
    Options
    I'm in vet school and I've worked with animals for ....well forever. I want to thank you for your selflessness in helping out the stray cat. I'm sorry that you had to pay more than you planned on, but what you did was a very special thing. Instead of feeling stressed, be proud of what you did today. So many people see a problem and ignore it, hoping it will fix itself or go away. But you did what most people don't take the trouble to do, and that makes it a very special gift. While I know I can't save every animal in the world, I certainly try to :tongue: and it encourages me to see others do the same. Thank you so much for your special act of kindness today! :happy:
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    i do understand, and it is ok. i've really been having a hard time at work (and really i work at mcdonalds and things shouldn't be such a big deal) i became manager (after 3 years) just 2 months ago and last week we had the mid shift manager quit. it really should have been my shift but because i have 2 very controling managers who still treat me like a normal crew, i haven't been learning or controlling my crew like i should. 3 managers (who are best friends) all keep telling me different things. like manager A and B will tell me not to follow C, B and C tell me not to follow A, etc etc. Now managers B and C are mad at me and blaming me because C is having to work mid shift instead of morning BUT manager C was already on midshift to start with so i don't understand why they are blaming me. why put a new manager onto a shift she has never worked when you have a manager already on that shift who knows what she's doing???

>.< sorry about that, i guess i needed a little rant too...

but really, it will be okay. have you tried meditation? just laying on your bed with some music playing? scream if you need to, pace your living room (i know you're sore but maybe normal walking will be ok?) and talk about your problems out loud. maybe if you hear the issues aloud, it will help you focus and let go of the tension.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    You helped an animal. You did a good thing. When it is time to make decisions on the fly we do the best we can...sometimes we look back and see other options we didn't consider but you did the right thing despite costing more money than maybe necessary. Tell your helpful friend, whom I am sure means well, "You know, if I have the opportunity to do this again I will keep that in mind. I wish that had all come to mind while I was sitting with kitty in the car. Thanks for helping me and I will remember for future situations...but this time around I am just happy that this wonderful kitty has a chance at getting some love and nuturing"

Then give yourself a real pat on the back for a job well done. It might feel silly but it will make you smile, help you remember you did the right thing and keep the ice cream for another day.
  • Dzzdt
    Dzzdt Posts: 5
    Options
    What an awesome person you are? You deserve a reward!!! But not ice cream... You did a wonderful thing and even though your friend is trying to look out for you (in her own way) she's may be one of those people that hate spending extra money. What's done is done and the Lord will bless you! That cat might be mad for a while but deep down you did what was right for it. Wow...I can't believe you're sad and down and depressed. You're heart should be singing and you should be dancing...you rock! Hugs!! Great Job!!:heart::flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    You did a wonderful thing and I agree with everyone here, Go for a walk around the nieghborhood nothings wrong with cloudy weather, then when you get home think about having a half a cup or a whole cup of ice cream, if you have it let it be a treat for a good deed done not a punishment to your wallet.
  • stoogeswoman
    stoogeswoman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are all great! Thanks for all the kind words and messages ... they DO help!

I compromised and had one spoonful of the Brewers (calling it my reward!) Then popped some nice healthy popcorn and put a good movie in the dvd player to cheer me up (Singin' in the Rain). That should help!

Again, thanks for helping me feel better! (And Buddy the cat says 'meow'!)
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    you did a great thing, your friend is only trying to help you but ..the wrong way. you are a caring person...now take care of yourself.
  • mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    you did a wonderful thing even if it did cost extra money but money comes and goes now help yourself and be strong you can do you have the will power dont let your friend get to you