Gallbladder Removal Questions?

Options
Hello everyone I'm getting my gallbladder removed here soon. I'm meeting with a surgeon next week for a consultation. Anywho just wondering if anyone has had success with losing weight after gallbladder removal? Did you find it easier or harder? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I didn't notice any difference in weight loss rate or difficulty.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I had mine out a couple of years before I ever tried to lose weight. I didn't have any problems losing except for the usual problems that come with any weight loss.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Sure...I think that I've lost 40 or 50 more pounds since the surgery. It really didn't slow me down at all in terms of weight loss.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a gallbladder since 2012. In 2016 I've lost 112 plus pounds. The only difference is that I don't have those horrible painful gallstone attacks anymore. Oh, and I have had less tolerance for really greasy/high fat foods since having it removed. A bonus if you ask me...
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I lost a fair bit of weight leading up to and just after surgery due to frequent attacks and also restricting meat/dairy the month following surgery.

After that no difference losing or putting on weight. I personally havent had any issues with bad reactions to high fat foods though I know it causes a rush to the bathroom for some people.

My only advice is to heed the dr's advice about taking it easy. I only spent 1 day in hospital after the surgery (I was let out early as I had a 10wk old baby at home) and didnt appreciate that internally it is major surgery. I ended up back at hosp within 2 weeks due to over doing it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I still have to eat the lower end of the scale of dietary fats, if I do splurge I soon know about it.

Other than that? Nada.
  • Jam8530
    Jam8530 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in 2003. It made no difference as far as weight loss goes in my opinion, but you will definitely have to watch your diet. Fatty fried foods are my worst enemy now. My stomach always KILLS me if I eat bad. The doctor will give you new diet guidelines. If you stick to those you will subsequently lose weight most likely.
  • mydustyroad
    mydustyroad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 5 years or so ago. I never saw a difference in weight loss or anything. The only thing I've noticed is that if I skip breakfast, my stomach will get upset when I eat lunch.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I had lost 70 lbs in about 6 mos and had horrible pains in my side. Turns out it was my gall bladder. The bad thing about losing it is if I eat anything fatty, I get really sick since you no longer have that to help with the digestion of the fat overall. Like Thunder1982 said, take it easy. I wound up being in the hospital for a month prior to my surgery because they couldn't figure out what was going on with my stomach and why I was having horrible pains.
  • scooter2009
    scooter2009 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    had mine out almost 2 years ago. my doctor gave me a list of foods to be eating after and it actually helped with my weight loss. though after i lost some, i quit following the papers and gained it all back. i am finally way below the weight i was back then thanks to a very similar food list. my advice, follow the directions of your doctor and things will go smooth
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The presence, or lack of, of a gallbladder shouldn't have any effect on weight loss or gain. The only thing I noticed after was that I felt better and could again eat food that bothered me before the surgery.
  • nour_a
    nour_a Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any problems losing weight before or after the surgery. Before the surgery - the gallstone attacks actually motivated me to avoid high fat foods (cinnamon buns, fries, and other not-so-healthy guilty pleasures) because the pain is terrible.

After the surgery, however, I did have a complication. The removal surgery I had was laparoscopic and an abscess formed at one of the incision points the size of an apricot pit. The infection wasn't responding to antibiotics because it was encapsulated in the abscess so I had to go in to see my doctor twice a week to have it drained for a about a month and a half. That was brutal. But otherwise, I've recovered fully.

Good luck with your consult and your surgery!
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 15 years ago, didn't affect my weight either way. Only thing for me was sometimes drinking alcohol will be painful, usually if it's in excess, not always though. Also, sometimes fatty foods will make me rush to the bathroom, not very often though.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    No difference.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Gall bladder removal was a very easy surgery for me. I was at Target the night I had mine removed, and for dinner that night I ate mac&cheese and pot roast. No tummy issues whatsoever, just glad to be rid of the gallstone attacks! It really didn't affect my diet/goals at all. The only thing is if I eat a heavy greasy meal (pizza, burger, etc), I know I better be near a restroom!!

Hope your surgery goes well!!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    No difference.

Same
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I lost fifteen pounds immediately following my gallbladder surgery. I had little appetite and I was eating very low fat so my calorie intake was very low (but acceptable to my doctor in the short term). I also think that there was a lot of inflammation that was relieved, and the doc says that healing from surgery burns a lot of calories. Since then, I've been mostly on maintenance and exercising and I have still lost some weight. I would say that weight loss is easier since losing the gallbladder.

A little tip though. I did have some bathroom issues following surgery. A lot of people attribute those issues to fat consumption, but for some people it's actually a problem with bile salts absorption. Since your gallbladder isn't there to collect the bile, the bile drips into your intestines and can cause dumping and the D due to the irritation. There is a super easy fix to this and it seems like a lot of doctors don't know about it. A cholesterol binder (in my case, colestyramine) will bind up the bile salts and neutralize them. It has been a game changer for me and it's clear now that the IBS I've had all my adult life was probably actually bile salts malabsorption (exacerbated by a wonky gallbladder). So if you do have digestive issues after surgery, though not everyone does, don't assume you just have to live with them or that they're caused by your diet.

I can eat a high-low amount of fat each day but fried foods can make me queasy. Aside from that, with the bile salts issue dealt with, I feel better than ever.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot after surgery. Thirty pounds over 6 months. The trick? Don't listen to the doc's advice about your diet, particularly fats.

I ate my way through the problem. The problem was fats, I didn't reduce and was sick daily. I do not recommend this to anyone
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No difference here other than the fact that I didnt eat pre-op for a week or so because of the pain.
    At first - post op fats were no bueno- and, they were no bueno pre-op as the organ started shutting down more and more I suppose. Functioned at 0% during my scan.

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I have my removal on thursday morning. I'm really nervous about losing an organ haha but i'll be happy once I can eat without being scared of another attack.