caloric intake when pregnant

Is there a way to figure out how many calories to consume when pregnant? Or does anyone know the general number? I want to make sure I'm eating enough, but not go overboard and gain 50-60 pounds this time! Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Maintenance until your 3rd trimester, but it's really a question for your doctor.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    It's hard to say, IMO. The body has a different CICO set up while pregnant. I think I've seen that pregnant women can eat up to 500 extra calories per day in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I have no idea what science that is based upon.

I lost 10-15 lbs in my first trimesters due to nausea but I put on 10-20 lbs in a month once it stopped. I am positive that I was not eating an extra 2000+ calories per day but it still happened.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It's hard to say, IMO. The body has a different CICO set up while pregnant. I think I've seen that pregnant women can eat up to 500 extra calories per day in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. I have no idea what science that is based upon.

I lost 10-15 lbs in my first trimesters due to nausea but I put on 10-20 lbs in a month once it stopped. I am positive that I was not eating an extra 2000+ calories per day but it still happened.

You don't gain fat - it's water, blood etc for the baby so the 3500 cals = a pound thing doesn't work when pregnant.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »

You don't gain fat - it's water, blood etc for the baby so the 3500 cals = a pound thing doesn't work when pregnant.

That's what I mean. Figuring out CICO gets really damn hard.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Speak to your OB/GYN or your midwife. Ask for a referral to a dietician if you need to.
  • candyfluff_tree
    candyfluff_tree Posts: 2 Member
    I just joined this today as I am also concerned about my calorie intake and am 28 weeks pregnant. This might be a long post sorry.. I have gained more weight than I expected although I don't feel overweight really. I am looking to maintain my weight, baby and my health is my priority. My midwife didn't say I'd put on too much weight but did want me to eat less sugar as I mentioned I have a serious sweet food craving going on. I wish there was an app that helped pregnant women eat right! The NHS advises pregnant women have 200 cals extra only in the last trimester, so I hope if I set this to maintain my weight and add 200 if I need it that should work. I eat fairly healthily as I like fruit and veg but usually top this up with unhealthy snacks after lunch and tea. Am switching cake/biscuits to yogurt/oatcakes and cheese. I have such cravings for sweet stuff after I eat though, it is hard!
  • SheenaRamone13
    SheenaRamone13 Posts: 11 Member
    I find if I eat fruit earlier in my day that I crave less sweets. I'm 22 weeks
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    someone posted this helpful link in a similar thread http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/July07/Pages/new-nice-guidelines-weight-pregnancy.aspx
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    lizery wrote: »
    Speak to your OB/GYN or your midwife. Ask for a referral to a dietician if you need to.

Seconded.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Thank you all! I definitely plan to talk to my midwife about it, but I want to make sure I'm not just eating to be eating this time and gain a ton of weight. I'm trying to stay healthy and active! :)
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    I was quite thin when I got pregnant the first time. I was 125 lbs at 5'8" and my obgyn told me I needed to gain 40 lbs. I ended up gaining 28 lbs with my daugther.

The first trimester I gained 2 lbs. The second trimester, I gained 15 pounds. The third trimester, I gained roughly a lb per week.

I didn't really increase my cals the first trimester. The second trimester, I began eating 300 cals more a day and kept doing that until I gave birth. My maintenance then was 2200 cals per day, so I began eating 2500 cals a day in 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
  • candyfluff_tree
    candyfluff_tree Posts: 2 Member
    Personally I spoke to my midwife and she just said steer clear of sugar where possible, I doubt they would refer you to a dietitian unless you were really under or over weight. My calories since sunday (when I joined MFP have been around the 2100 mark a day and my scales still went a an lb so I think my body just wants to gain! I have sugar free muesli for breakfast a banana for my break, quorn sandwich crisps for lunch, handful nuts and some dried fruit after noon. Main meal w veg and then chocolate yogurt.. normally it would be ice cream or cake but not since I had my last midwife appointment so a week ago.