Tri-curious?

Options
Now that I have gotten myself to a much healthier state, I'm looking for ways to challenge myself physically.

I am thinking of signing up for my first triathlon. My gym is hosting an indoor triathlon in February

Anyone else just getting started in triathlons? Any experience triathlon athletes out there?

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I did my first mini-tri on Independence Day this year. I learned I hate swimming...and suck at it. It was fun and I'll be doing it again though! If you are looking at a full tri, find a good training plan and stick to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    About three years ago or so (I guess maybe a bit longer) I was going to do a sprint triathlon...I was signed up and training and injured myself and wasn't able to participate. The true positive that came out of that though was that I discovered a passion for cycling.

I'm a pretty good swimmer but always had issues with the run...I've never been a good distance runner...I was a sprinter from about 2nd grade through my senior year in highschool and for a brief moment in time was ranked 3rd in the state in the 100M...but I've never been a good distance guy...my tri training solidified for me that I loath running...I also have tendinitis of various tendons in my right foot that tend to flare up when I run a lot so I haven't bothered to train for one since.

But like I said, that training was what brought about my passion for cycling...I have since participated in numerous cycling events and races.

Go for it, you never know what's going to come out of it...also, I'd start with a sprint tri...but that's just me...if you go for an Olympic tri, I agree with shagerty777...get a coach.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Since I was in the Navy, I've always enjoyed swimming. I've found a new love of it recently since my son joined a competitive swim team.

Any recommendations for a training plan?
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT_
    RUN_LIFT_EAT_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Have done a few dozen, from Sprints to Half IMs. I loved that era of my life. The training was fun. The racing was fun. The people are GREAT!

My advice is to focus most on your weaker leg of the 3 events, enjoy the whole sport, and don't take it too seriously. High 5 the volunteers as you pass them.

It's an addicting sport!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    bshedwick wrote: »

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/training-plan
  • bshedwick
    Options
    bshedwick wrote: »

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/training-plan

Didnt know that Garmin Connect had training plans. Thanks!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I did my first triathlon 5 years ago at 54 years old. Got hooked and have done a bunch of them since then, including two 70.3 distance races. It's a great sport if you love training and pushing your limits. There is always something to learn and to work on. Best of luck.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I did my first tri in 1997 and loved it. I'm the oddball on the circuit though - great on the swim, suck on the bike, and average on the run.

Several gyms now host indoor tris to dip newbies toes in. Start with a sprint just to figure out the transition and don't fret on time, just enjoy the experience. After you get your first in, then focus on the next step.

...that and you're a Navy vet, so you will naturally dominate in the water. HooYah!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've done a few, they are fun. There are some groups here (in the groups section) where you can get lots of information.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    This thread was not what i expected.. :p
  • bshedwick
    Options
    2 days til the race. Getting all pumped now.