Would you keep eating?

Options
**I posted this question in the "General Diet & Weight Loss" section, but wasn't able to get a general consensus on what I should do, so decided to post in here**

Currently trying to lose fat/retain muscle. Daily calorie goal is 2,000 and protein goal is ~150 grams.

Let's say that for some reason I got to 2,000 calories for the day, but fell short of my protein goal (example - only 100 grams protein so far).

In this scenario, would you stop eating (since you've reached your 2,000 calories), or would you eat more protein and get closer to your protein goal?

People always emphasize how important it is to reach your protein goal for the day, but is it worth to go over your daily calorie goal to reach it?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't keep eating. Missing a macro in the context of a single day isn't that big of a deal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't keep eating...you're not going to wither away not hitting your protein target for a day...hell, you're not going to wither away if you never hit that protein target...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't keep eating. Missing a macro in the context of a single day isn't that big of a deal.

This^
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    If I was not hungry, then no I wouldn't keep eating. But that's just me.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'd stop eating.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you really hungry? Then no, I wouldn't. Just make it up the next day. You won't lose all your gains from not hitting your protein goal for one day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd stop eating.

Have you tried pre-logging your day? This way you can tweak your foods/macros to fit.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd stop eating.

Have you tried pre-logging your day? This way you can tweak your foods/macros to fit.

I usually don't have trouble hitting my macros, but this typically happens when it's something out of my control. For example, I'm attending a dinner party and expecting to get at least 50 grams of protein, but all they're serving is pasta, garlic bread, and cake haha. Usually, I can find a way to navigate through these situations, but sometimes it's difficult to do.

I think I like the suggestion of if I trained that day (lifted weights), then go ahead and try to get closer to your protein goal (for muscle repair/recovery), but if it is a rest day or I just did cardio, I'll stop eating.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I would stop eating especially if I'm not hungry.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I stop eating as well. I have had trouble hitting my macros, but doubling up on protein shakes, protein rich foods has helped. If I were to intentionally go over, it would be with another protein shake.