Introspection - do you do it?

Options
Grey_1
Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
I get slightly moody at times, and often get very introspective. If I'm honest with myself, it can yield a tidbit or two I can act on, and hopefully deal with some of my own quirks. Lord knows I have enough of them.

I was just wondering how others approach it.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The simple and short answer is YES..

sending this via carrier pigeon, check your pm.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    The simple and short answer is YES..

sending this via carrier pigeon, check your pm.

Back at ya my friend <3
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, but learned that you have to introspect only when you are in a good mood. That way you can really see your strengths and achievements and view your weakness and problems in the light of potential solutions.

When you instrospect when in a bad mood, you see your problems as worse than they really are, and solutions seem dim. You can introspect yourself into a rabbit hole and fall into depression.

When in a bad mood, I analyze my thoughts through the filter of: I'm in a bad mood. It's not xyz aspect of my life that is bothering me, it's my mood. So instead of instrospecting, I try to shake the mood, or wait it out.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    I get slightly moody at times, and often get very introspective.
    What you do in your own home behind closed doors is your own business. :)

• Grey_1
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »
    I get slightly moody at times, and often get very introspective.
    What you do in your own home behind closed doors is your own business. :)
    :D nice! :)
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Yes, I do, but learned that you have to introspect only when you are in a good mood. That way you can really see your strengths and achievements and view your weakness and problems in the light of potential solutions.

When you instrospect when in a bad mood, you see your problems as worse than they really are, and solutions seem dim. You can introspect yourself into a rabbit hole and fall into depression.

When in a bad mood, I analyze my thoughts through the filter of: I'm in a bad mood. It's not xyz aspect of my life that is bothering me, it's my mood. So instead of instrospecting, I try to shake the mood, or wait it out.

What mood is a good point, and true. I'm very fortunate in that I rarely stay in a bad mood for any length of time at all. Once it's out, it's usually just about over, especially if there's a good friend around to talk to. :)
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Constantly, my mind never shuts off. I'm always analyzing something about myself, the downside is I do tend to over think things though
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Constantly, my mind never shuts off. I'm always analyzing something about myself, the downside is I do tend to over think things though
    I hear ya - that's something I've been schooling myself for years to not do any more. It has gotten much better thankfully....
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly in my own head. Not always a good thing.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm very introspective. Just shallow and superficial.
    Hope you are introspective when you need to be and not when you don't need to be. :)
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Introspection not quite so , but self awareness yes . I do not like making the same mistake twice . Defination of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result .
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I do often because there are times I need to step outside myself and figure out what and how to makes some changes.

How - for me the most effective way has been to lightly partake in some medicinal green. Just enough to alter consciousness but not enough to raid the fridge.

Sometimes I just need to see it from a different perspective, and I'm only half joking. Sometimes I need to unplug from reality to see reality.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    no, ive always been pretty confident/arrogant i suppose, in myself about most things.. so dont tend to think there is anything wrong with me.. which might sound deluded.. and i think its everyone else in the wrong etc or it will come good

but i DO sweat the unimportant crap in my life, like the life dilemma on my wall right now B)
    :D You sound JUST like an old friend of mine lol. I miss him, good guy :)
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    That's one of the many reasons I drink. I can't handle it, especially at night
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    That's one of the many reasons I drink. I can't handle it, especially at night

I do it so I won't drink Pi... hopefully, one day at a time, I will never go back to that hell.
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    All the time
  • thisonetimeatthegym
    thisonetimeatthegym Posts: 1,977 Member
    Options
    I saw this, and it reminded me of this thread:

"In cases where there is a significant association with depression, this is because comparing yourself with others can lead to "rumination" or overthinking.

° Negative comparison with others when using Facebook was found to predict depression via increased rumination

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161128150841.htm