Low carb meals

Options
Hi. I'm diabetic and need to watch my carbs. Not being real successful and need some ideas for low carb meals. Anyone have some ideas to share?

Replies

• darleyschroeder89
    Options
    Atkins website or diet Doctor have good information.
    Eggs, meat, seafood, cheese, cream, leafy veggies, mayo, olive oil, coconut oil.

You could have an omelette with cheese and avocado. Chicken legs with mashed cauliflower and butter. Coffee with real cream.. Egg or chicken salad.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Pick a meat, add a side of low carb veggie. The previous response is perfect. Don't get stressed or overwhelmed, you can do it! Food prep has been a huge help for me.
    Join this low carb group. It's full of great info &knowledgeable people.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a good source of info to start with.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Have you met with a dietitian? Many health insurance plans will pay for this service if you have diabetes. They can help create a meal plan for you with carb goals for each meal. They will help you tweak your carb goals based on your glucose readings as well. It has been tremendously helpful for me.

Another thing--eat to your meter. Log what you eat and your blood sugar two hours after (or one hour if your doctor asks you to do it this way). You'll quickly learn which carbs spike your blood sugar more or less.

A typical dinner for me is low-carb protein (chicken or beef usually--I don't care for pork that much), a lower carb veggie (broccoli, zucchini and green beans are favorites for me right now), and some sort of potato or rice. I eat A LOT of sweet potatoes. I rely on salads with some sort of protein or a sandwich using sandwich thins or wraps for lunch (when I even get to eat lunch). Breakfast is usually just coffee.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I focus on fiber, fiber, and more fiber--particularly leafy greens and cruciferous veggies for bulk and feeling full without lots of carbs or fat.

Experiment with these vegetables both raw and cooked: mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, napa cabbage, bok choy, radicchio, kale. I average at least 4-6 servings of these per day!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Meant to also mention the dlife website, which is designed by and for diabetics. See http://www.dlife.com/diabetes-food-and-fitness and check out the "carbs" section
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Why not talk to your MD? Check out your community for Diabetic ED classes.