New (again) to my fitness pal

Options
Hey everyone! I have used my fitness pal before but decided to use weight watchers for a while. Due to an unforeseen emergency (dog had spleen removed), my family is cutting back in every way we can. That means my weight watchers membership and gym membership have been canceled. Any words of advice for using my fitness pal? I wasn't successful using it before so I'm a little worried now. Also what does everyone do for exercise? I have an ankle issue and need low impact ideas.

Replies

• lizandpj
    lizandpj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am back after a try at Weight Watchers again. I like this website better.
  • jmachiejr
    jmachiejr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is my second time back too. Unfortunately if you can't exercise you are going to have to be a lot more strict with your food intake. No way around it. Walking is low impact and is great for you. If you can't walk then even standing in one spot doing sets of squats without any weight will get your heart going. Swimming is also another very good exercise for people that need very low or no impact exercise.

Being successful with myfitnesspal is solely on you. You have to learn what to eat and what to not eat then stick to it. Weight Watchers and other programs are great and all because they take all of the decision making out of the equation. That's great if you can afford to buy packaged meals the rest of your life but it doesn't really teach you how to eat properly. Everyone is different but I found by cutting out most processed foods and watching the amount of carbs I eat really worked for me. Eating lean meats (fish, turkey, chicken), vegetables (not corn and peas), and getting rid of breads and pastas will go a long way. You can have some rice just don't go overboard with it. I find that Quinoa is a good higher protein replacement for rice. Also I exclusively drink water with the rare diet soda maybe once a month. I found using MIO zero calorie flavor enhancer for my water really helps me stick to drinking water and plenty of it.

Myfitnesspal is just a tool that relies on you to be honest with yourself and what you are putting into your body. You can be successful using it but you need to take responsibility for your choices and be informed about those choices. If you have medical insurance most plans will cover you going to a dietician. You should try that if you can. They can help you learn how to make better food choices for yourself without paying for prepackaged meals :)

I wish you the best of luck. Always remember that you can do it. Even if you feel like you are failing just be persistent :)