Sprint Triathlon

Options
Hey guys! I am going to start training for my very first Sprint Triathlon in the beginning of September! I have never been a runner but have been training and my endurance has built a ton over the past couple of months!

I wanted to see if anyone else is training...what you are doing to train, etc...maybe we could help eachother out :) OR if you have done one, any ADVICE would be sooo welcomed!! I want to get all the info I can on this race so I can be prepared of what to expect before, during, and after. Thanks Friends :))

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I too have decided to do a Sprint Tri in October. I'm not a runner and have planter facities so am currently not running. I'm biking about 3-5 hours a week and swimming 2x a week. I've found some good training calendars in some great books and am going to start really following those in July. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.

My base line swim for 750 meters was 23 min. Most of it was breast stroke. Will have to work on that and bring my time down. My bike is 13.2 miles and it's a steady grade uphill ride. We will climb 1100 ft. in elevation over 8 miles. Ouch. Then the 3.1 run.

I have a book called "Your first Triathlon" also "slow fat triathlete" is very funny and informative. This woman did her first tri at 5'9" 220. I've also gotten books from the local library "the woman Triathle", and "Triathlons".

I'm so happy to see someone else is going to do one. :) Can't wait to hear about your progress. :)
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump for info
  • w_sanford
    w_sanford Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been doing tris for 6 years now...message or add me if you want information still!

When I am training, typically I follow a workout schedule. I have a book from Triathlete Magazine that has tons of training schedules for different levels of endurance ability and triathlon distance.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I do Olympic distance, but I train with a book called "Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week" by Eric Harr. It's a great training schedule and has fantastic nutritional information, as well. Additionally, he covers the minute-by-minute requirements of [re-race and race day (which can be overwhelming and confusing...).

Tri is SO MUCH FUN!!! Have a great time training and competing!
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What an excellent goal! Are you doing a 12 week training plan? I did one 2 years ago and my best advice is train for the bike on real roads as much as possible. The swim is the shortest bit so just make sure you can do the distance at a slow, manageable pace. Is it in a lake or a pool?
    You'll be nervous as hell before, but by the time you get to the race you'll be totally ready. It's very doable...think of it as an hour and a half workout (+ or - )...tough, but doable.
    If I do one again I would make sure I had a little something easy to digest on the bike ride...only because my nervous stomach didn't let me eat right before the race, I went too fast on my swim, then kinda bonked during the bike. Maybe even a Gatorade at the transition would have been enough.
    Mine was in a pool, so no need for a wet suit. I wore my sports bra with bikini bottoms for the swim so the transition just meant drying off as much as possible, throwing on shirt, shoes and shorts.
    The great thing about Sprint Tri's is there are a lot of newbies...so good range of ages, body types, and athleticism. You won't feel nearly as self-conscious as you might think ahead of time:)
    I felt like hell right after, but within 30 min - an hour I felt AWESOME! And very proud of myself.
    Keep us posted on your training.
    You'll do GREAT!
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've also set a goal to do my first tri, but not until this time next year. I have been swimming laps about 3-4 times a week and just trying to get my endurance up on that and continue to lose weight. I have a lot to lose in the next year to be able to do it. I'd love to help support each other on this journey. If you'd like, send me a friend request.

I found a website called www.beginnertriathlete.com that I've started looking at a little bit.

Good luck!
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That is so cool Gin! I have thought about try a tri...but 1) I can't swim and 2) I can't ride a bike without my hips and lower back hurting (even when I was a kid)! I have considered learning to swim, more than the doggy paddle I currently do, and trying to work up to some distance on a bike, but it all seems so overwhelming. Let me know how the training goes...I'll be rooting for you from the sidelines!!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    I have done one Sprint in the past and I am planning on another one this August!

They are a blast and completely challenge you mentally/physically
    I don't think that anything can really prepare you for what it feels like to actually do a Tri... But once you have done one you will probably be hooked. It is a complete workout which is awesome... The swimming will tone your arms, the cycling your legs, and the running will help you cardio wise.

Tips -
    1 Swim a lot... run a lot... and bike a lot...
    2. Don't take your first one too seriously... You aren't going to break any records... My goal the first time, to finish with out walking or stopping!
    3. Invest in a tri suit - So you can wear it for each leg of the race.
    4. Pack food to take for the bike/run portion - Stay fueled and hydrated!
    5. Pull support from friends and family. People will be in awe that you can do something so awesome!

Good luck!
    Kait
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    bump for more info
  • hammersshells
    Options
    Hello! I have just decided to try a sprint triathlon, too. I am SCARED! I have done a few 5K's before, and last week I started running again and it felt so good that I remembered a coworker asking me to do a triathlon whith them this summer. I had told her no way. Now I am a "yes". But I am really nervous that I don't have the stamina/skills needed. It is only 6 weeks away.

Today we swam 1/4 mile, biked about 10 miles, and ran/walked for 2 miles. I can barely move. Yikes, it was hard. Should I do this? Or am I too out of shape to do it in 6 weeks? I don't want to injure myself by overtraining, but I am excited to try this and get myself into the best shape of my life. I welcome any advice. :) Thanks!
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Hello! I have just decided to try a sprint triathlon, too. I am SCARED! I have done a few 5K's before, and last week I started running again and it felt so good that I remembered a coworker asking me to do a triathlon whith them this summer. I had told her no way. Now I am a "yes". But I am really nervous that I don't have the stamina/skills needed. It is only 6 weeks away.

Today we swam 1/4 mile, biked about 10 miles, and ran/walked for 2 miles. I can barely move. Yikes, it was hard. Should I do this? Or am I too out of shape to do it in 6 weeks? I don't want to injure myself by overtraining, but I am excited to try this and get myself into the best shape of my life. I welcome any advice. :) Thanks!

I think you'll be okay - thats close to the distances for a typical Sprint Tri. Just keep training and you'll get there! You don't need to do all three events each time you train, but it is good to practice the bike to run several times to get your legs used to the transition. And remember, the worst that can happen is that if you aren't ready on race day you can back-stroke the swim, walk your bike up the hills, and walk the run portion! :)

Good luck!
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have done a few tris, both sprint and olympic distances.

Where is the swim going to take place? Swimming in the pool is much different from swimming in a lake or the ocean. For me, my heart rate will sky rocket during the swim, and I think part of it is due to being nervous in open water. So definitely get out to open water to practice a few times if your race swim isn't in a pool.

Along those lines, if you are wearing a wetsuit, don't forget some body glide to make it slip off easier. I forgot to body glide my feet in my last race and had a 5+ minute first transition time because I couldn't get my wetsuit off!

If you can, do a brick that is swimming/biking. Most program do biking/running bricks only, but I think it would be beneficial to do a swim/bike. When I come out of the water, I am so shaky that is hard to undress and get my bike gear on. It would be good to know what that feels like beforehand so you can prepare for it.

Can you tell I have the most trouble with the swim? =)
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I just finished my first sprint triathlon less than two weeks ago and I AM HOOKED! I didn't follow a structured "training plan" this time and generally I have to modify any kind of plan to work with my schedule because, let's face it, life gets in the way sometimes! I focused on running and biking the first time around and did zero strength training because there are only 24 hours in a day. I got through it just fine and it was actually not as difficult as I had convinced myself it would be.

I am planning on my second sprint at the end of August and I am going to focus on strength training this time (gasp! for all you pros out there...) so that I can work on my body fat percentage at the same time. I'm to the point that pouring on more and more cardio isn't going to get me anywhere and I've got no aspirations at this time to do an Olympic distance.

As a previous poster mentioned, I'd practice a bike ride followed immediately by about once a week. That feeling in your legs can be scary but if you know what to expect, you'll mentally be able to adjust :)

Good Luck!!!
  • hammersshells
    Options
    Thanks! My training seems to be going well, and I am pumped! When is yours? How is training going for you?
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first sprint tri! I am so excited!
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm training too! My first race is in 2 weeks (July 30th)!

Advice from experienced members of my tri team:

Every time you ride your bike, run at least 10 minutes after, to get your legs used to running after riding.

Swim training is essential. Total Immersion swimming is the best! I hired a swim coach who taught me and I'm amazed. Total Immersion is basically swimming with the upper quadrant of your body (waist up) with very little kick. If you're not a good swimmer, look up Total Immersion on You Tube!

Day before the race, hydrate with an electrolyte mix.

Good luck everyone! I'll let you know how I do!!!
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    RACE UPDATE - Sprint Triathlon!

I said I'd be back after my race, and here I am. Guess what!!!!??? I did it! Met all of my goals and did better than I expected. Here's my summary:

Race: RocketChix II - July 30 - Baton Rouge, LA
    Distances: 350m pool swim / 12 mile bike / 2 mile run

The race went well. The swim portion, which I was most concerned about, was not that big a deal. We were seeded by our expected finish time for the swim, and I seeded myself well, so there was no rushing, no stress. I kept telling myself, "I'm just swimming laps, it's the same as swimming laps." Onto the bike, I felt strong and ready to go. The run started out a little rough, because I gassed it out of transition. I looked down at my Garmin and I was running much faster than my normal pace - no wonder I was so out of breath! I slowed down and caught my breath. Kept telling myself, "This is where most people quit, and I WILL NOT QUIT!"

My chip time was 1:18:37. My goal was to finish under 1:25 and to not have to walk any of the run leg. I met both of those goals and I am happy about that!

I am addicted to the sport now! I did realize that if I want to get serious about this, I still need to lose a little more weight and lean up a bit more. So, I'm back to watching my carbs and calorie intake carefully with a goal weight of 120 in mind.

For all of you who are training, all I can say is, "If you put in the time, you can do it!" Best of luck to all of you!!!