getting started is not a problem but...

Options
maryjay52
maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
to keep going is.. seems i get so far and all of a sudden im on to something else in my life and get tired of working on this . any suggestions to keep the ball rolling in this life of healthy eating and weight loss ?

Replies

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Don't diet.

Change your eating habit to something you can live with all the time. Don't say I can't have this or that...find a way to fit what you love in...deprivation=defeat.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Do, feel and think like the normal weight person you want to be. Eat and train in a way you'd want to eat and train even if it didn't lead to weight loss.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    set goals. It was a big thing to me to see 30 days of tracking, then 90, now I am working toward 120.
  • angelgirl971
    angelgirl971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Starting again, but I'm starting! This time starting exercise a little at a time. Over doing it leads to injury and that's a setback. Thanks for the encouraging ideas.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You keep tabs on your bank balance.

Just treat your calorie balance the same way.

Logging in MFP is just a couple of minutes less time scrolling on Facebook. Win.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maryjay52 wrote: »
    to keep going is.. seems i get so far and all of a sudden im on to something else in my life and get tired of working on this . any suggestions to keep the ball rolling in this life of healthy eating and weight loss ?

I think of 'this' the same way as going to work, or brushing your teeth... we're grown ups so we have to do it...
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Don't be overly restrictive with your calories, don't try and cut out all the foods you enjoy, don't try and make drastic changes (like if you enjoy meat don't try and do a vegan diet), skip the fad diets, don't over complicate it. Eat the foods you enjoy at a calorie deficit.

This is spot on. Don't make this whole thing more complicated than it actually is.
  • jamma48
    jamma48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What worked for me is looking at my weight loss goals in 2 lbs increments. To me, 50 or 100 lbs pretty much seems insurmountable, but 2 lbs--small victories really kept me going, and I'd workout harder to reach it and then before you know it you've lost 30, 40, 50 lbs.
  • Cocoa_Jean
    Cocoa_Jean Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't be overly restrictive with your calories, don't try and cut out all the foods you enjoy, don't try and make drastic changes (like if you enjoy meat don't try and do a vegan diet), skip the fad diets, don't over complicate it. Eat the foods you enjoy at a calorie deficit.

This is spot on. Don't make this whole thing more complicated than it actually is.

IDK if I would give that kind of advice. As a vegan, it is not a "fad". I have done "fads" and this actually lasts. I am not hungry (which I HATED battling with my body over what I put in my mouth) and I have broken part of the ugly cycle of the SAD. There are entirely too many vegans out there doing it and doing it well to loop that in. In one weekend I made the change cold turkey. I "thought" it would be harder than it was. For the benefits? Yeah... we need to give people viable options. Not steer them awry before they have a chance to discover for themselves.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    if you're dieting and "clean eating" its only a matter a time before you;re going to snap and go back ... allow proper portions of everything... and you'll never get tired of it
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    jamma48 wrote: »
    What worked for me is looking at my weight loss goals in 2 lbs increments. To me, 50 or 100 lbs pretty much seems insurmountable, but 2 lbs--small victories really kept me going, and I'd workout harder to reach it and then before you know it you've lost 30, 40, 50 lbs.

i do the same thing ..i like to get under a mark like get down under a five or a 0 (ex if i am 225 i want to make a goal to make it to 219) ..just seeing that different number keeps me feeling like it is reachable