Wine! I can't live without my wine! How can I make this work while trying to lose weight?

Options
I love my wine at night! It is my way of winding down after work, 2 kids, and running our household! Problem is how much wine should I stop at? 1 glass, 2 glasses, 3 glasses etc.?

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Stop at whatever fits into your calories without sacrificing good nutrition. (And whatever doesn't, you know, leave you totally blotto all the time.) I have wine all the time; I love it too!
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Have your wine. Just work it into your calories after you've eaten your healthy/normal foods for the day. That way you can adjust your serving.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,228 Member
    Options
    Just fit it into your calories. Eat a little less drink a little more!!

THIS. Fit the amount you want in your calories.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Wine isn't a ruinously high number of calories, as long as you don't drink a huge amount. About 100 calories for a 125ml glass (1/6 bottle). It can be a bit more, if it's very strong, or very sweet.

So yeah, count it within your calorie allowance, and drink within normal health guidelines.

Don't drink so much of it that it causes you to lose control of your eating habits.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I had a glass of wine almost every night, I worked the 125 cals into my day. Now that I'm in maintenance I have 2 glasses most days with the same philosophy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    Stop at whatever fits into your calories without sacrificing good nutrition.

This is better advice than just eating less to fit it in. Nutrition *does* matter in the grand scheme of things.

I also lost while enjoying wine most nights and have maintained while enjoying wine.
  • MelissaJKelly
    MelissaJKelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I only really drink wine at the weekends. Glad to see that people are still able to lose weight whilst still enjoying wine ;)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    25 minutes on the treadmill = a glass of wine/gin & diet tonic/Diet coke & Crown for me. I burn more than the drink but figure it's a fair trade most days. People talk about eating back 1/2 of their exercise calories, I use mine for treats like this (or chips if that is my mood).

But as long as it fits in your day, go for it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,014 Member
    Options
    I would stop at 1 so I could eat more, but you can have as many as you can fit into your goal. As long as you are getting some actual nutrients and not just alcohol. Lol
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Ooooohhhh I know this struggle. My boyfriend is a sommelier, I work for a brewery. We have 8+ years in the liquor industry under out belts together. This has been my STRUGGLE. I have been trying to limit myself to drinking 2-3 days a week for now. I tend to only have 2-3 drinks a day at most anyway, so this has been working for the most part. I tried to keep it to one drink a day and that didn't work for me as it always snowballed into two and then three.

Also, for what it's worse, I kept off most of my weight when I was drinking more wine- pretty much every day too! It was when I went much more for a few beers a day that the weight started coming back (well, that and a few other things.)
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am in the wine business, so wine is in my world daily. I simply make sure that it fits in to my daily calorie total.

d2m9t420ztd8.jpg
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I love my wine at night! It is my way of winding down after work, 2 kids, and running our household! Problem is how much wine should I stop at? 1 glass, 2 glasses, 3 glasses etc.?

1 glass is probably enough. I don't usually have more than 1 of any alcoholic drink, and even that is rare - less than once per week.
  • scootergirl110
    scootergirl110 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    From one vino lover to another: Since every calorie counts - if you like reds, stick to Pinot Noir. It has the least calories per 5oz class - 122cal.
  • kellymaree1985
    kellymaree1985 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a couple of glasses every night, but since i started this weight loss journey, I've cut back to just drinking one or 2 nights a week and only 2-3 glasses. Which i fit into my daily calorie allowance, or if i go over i make sure to burn the extra calories the next day in exercise so i don't feel guilty
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I really love wine at night too and I consider myself lucky that it's wine I crave and not beer or chips or something like that with more calories. I mean, 125 calories a glass is really about as low as you can get for a snack. So that's what I do - I would normally allot about 300 calories a day for snacks but on nights when I want to have some wine, I save it for that instead. The trick is to log it in the morning so you remember you're going to have it. Or, if you're left with no calories for wine, some quick exercises will burn off enough for a glass - 45 minutes of yoga or a brisk walk for 30 minutes. It's not hard to squeeze in.

Just make sure you're being honest to yourself about how much you're drinking. Measure it - it's easy to convince yourself that 7 oz is really 4.

And maybe don't drink it with a meal? You may not enjoy and savour it as much. Perhaps save it for an after dinner thing so you find it more satisfying and will be more likely to stop after a glass. That could just be me, though.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You can live without your wine.
  • cooperdog2016
    cooperdog2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love my wine. Now I have it just once a week with a special meal and buy a very special red. On the week nights I drink sparkling water with lime or lemon or pom. seeds and out of a beautiful crystal wine glass.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!