Anyone had major success later in life?

Options
13»

Replies

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Shhhh. Don't tell anyone shammers... its part of a time experiment with dr emmit brown
  • aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    As per my previous post I walk about 1.5 miles over my 30 minute work lunch break if weather permits. Go home each evening and go about 2.5 miles, about 40 minutes, with dogs regardless of weather through farm fields around my home. Frequently on weekends I head to the forests and walk upwards of 4 miles. I enjoy the outdoors and the dogs do too:)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    OP I am 56 years old and this past summer and fall, while still on a weight loss plateau, I decided to recomp, have changed my body silhouette (even at this same weight) and am thrilled with the positive changes.

It is never too late. As others have mentioned, you are still very "young". Don't buy into the over the hill mentality.

Currently I am working on breaking this plateau and plan to succeed.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sorry, just have always heard that after 40, you are on the backside of your life... didn't mean to ruffle feathers... my apologies
    Almost 40 is 'later in life' now?? Good lord, that's depressing. I better start planning my retirement! :D

I'm 66. Been retired for 10 years and have never been healthier or happier.

I'm admittedly on the "backside" of my life now but I am not dead yet. Should live to at least 90, based on family history. So, I'm about 2/3rd's done but at 40 I wasn't even at the half-way point of my life expectancy.

Hoping to enjoy the rest of life as long as it lasts by staying healthy and in shape in order to avoid the wheelchair and walker. Simple goals. LOL!!

• stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    56 years old; have lost 71 pounds this calendar year by setting my daily calorie eating limit to "sedentary" (i.e., 20% above my daily BMR) and then aiming to exercise enough to lose about 1.5 pounds per week. I am about 10 days ahead of my plan to lose 76 pounds by January 1. I have not given up any foods--just eaten less and have been fastidious in weighing everything I eat to the gram. My exercise is typically one hour of weights, one hour of elliptical, and 30 minutes of stretching (Monday through Friday); one hour of elliptical plus gardening on Saturday; and a two-hour walk on Sundays.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I wish I were 40....I'm 65, struggled on and off with my weight. really go heavy these past few years. There was a time when I was young I could eat anything and not gain a pound...well those days have been long gone. I'm now healthier and feel better than I have in a long time. I'm down 34 lbs since September, walking more though I think I will need to get something done for my knees, the excess weight on my bones and past injuries have done their "job". So your never too old to get yourself fit and healthy. If I knew then what I know know I would have taken better care of myself.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    ya 80 lbs ..took hard work and i try not to think about the fact that i gained alot of it back, im back on the road though so I know it is achievable