Disabled and trying to lose weight

Options
OrphielBurrito
OrphielBurrito Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hey all,

Name's Orphiel, I'm a trans guy in my 20s, I work a highly demanding desk job (the joys of research) and I'm disabled. I have Ehler-Danlos Syndrom, Fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, PCOS, hypothyroidy, POTS and a yet undiagnosed autoimmune disorder, and well, some collateral damage from all of that, including sciatica, heart palpitations and the like. I'm also trying to recover from purging type bulimia (haven't binged in over ten years but boy, do i purge...). You can guess that all this makes it really, really hard to lose weight without harming myself in the process.

I'm fat, I've always been fat, and there's a big part of genetics in that. There's also, at the time, a lot of life-saving medication that I can't stop taking that makes me gain weight. I used to do a lot of sports before I was sick but now most of it is forbidden by my medical team and I can't go to my gym anymore, as they only offer high-impact classes at time where I could reasonably go.

Considering all of this, I still intend to lose weight. I'm trying to do so without triggering my eating disorder, which isn't the easiest thing to do. So... if you're also disabled/mentally ill/LGBT+ and you're needing of support, me too ! We can go through this together and we should be friends on here. If you have recommendations for low-impact exercise, I'm also open to that. (I know about swimming already but I live somewhere where it's -10 C most of the year, am extremely sensitive to cold, have a mild phobia of water and terrible dysphoria when I'm in a bathing suit, so no. Pilates have always been great for me though.)

Cheers,
O.

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Low impact but not swimming, that's a tough one! Can you use any of the machines, like the rowing one, where you are seated? Or a stationary bike?

Good luck!!
  • OrphielBurrito
    Options
    Thank you ! I can use the stationary bike (although I don't like it much) but the rowing one, that I used to LOVE, dislocates my shoulders :( I can lift weights as long as they're small weights (and I used to be able to lift a lot, especially with my legs, so this is particularly disheartening) and I don't overdo it (whatever that means).
  • druidsapprentice
    druidsapprentice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello. Huge mobility problems here and it's darn hard. Basically can't exercise but it sometimes easy to say 'I can't do anything ' so I try fit in little movements e.g.- 20 side to side and 20 tuck knee to chest. If nothing else it'll keep joints mobilised etc. Some great vids on core muscle work that you can do lying in bed- teeny weeny baby steps- might not be much but better than doing absolutely nothing. Pcos- ugh- know the pain- but try be aware of pcos friendly foods. I've been stuck in a rut and piling on weight with no mobility but said- enough is enough. Be honest with your food entries(if not only fooling yourself) and set baby goals that are achievable! Best of luck. Always here for a yap!!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You might try some bodyweight strength workouts? You can do them at home and easily look up modifications online for any particular moves that cause you pain. Look up You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning, or Nerd Fitness has a great one too.

Are you able to walk on a treadmill? I find that if I'm distracted (watching a TV show or listening to a podcast), I can walk a long time on a treadmill without it being too awful.

Good luck!
  • OrphielBurrito
    Options
    @druidsapprentice : thank you very much !! Don't hesitate to friend me, if you so wish, it's always good to stick together between mobility-impaired peeps :) Baby steps sound good, if somewhat frustrating for someone who used to be able to do a lot haha. But that sounds really good, I'm gonna look at that. (Also the journal entries are not a problem... well, the problem is more to reach at least 1200 cals a day. The joy of a restrictive ED ^^; )

@jessiefrancine : thank you too !! I *think* bodyweight strength workouts are a big no but I'll check what my rheumatologist has said. If it's not a no, I'll definitely check all of this, thank you so much ! As for walking, it's not something I can really do - I walk with a cane and will probably be in a wheelchair in a few years, my hips and knees tend to pop out a lot, so that might not be the best thing. But yeah, on good days, why not try that ! (I never actually thought about walking on a treadmill, always tried to run, which, when you have joint issues, is a bad idea.)