Sitting at a desk all day...

So I have a desk job Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm and now the nights are very dark as soon as I get home I don't feel comfortable walking my dog as far as would in the summer. A gym membership is out of the question as they are so expensive where I live.

I was just wondering for any of you who also sit at a desk for the majority of the day, is there any way you keep active at your desk? I'll get up and run errands where possible and I always go for a walk on my lunch break.

Replies

• grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Buy a cheap pedi-cycle they are like $20 or so they can help you as they can be used for arms and legs as well, just make sure to get one with rubber feet so will not move alot.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,806 Member
    I incorporate exercise throughout my day.

I walk as part of my commute to and from work.
    I walk at lunch.
    I walk after work.

I climb flights and flights of stairs at different times during the day at work.

Sometimes I lift weights and/or cycle after work too.
    I have a small weights set up at home, and I've got a trainer for my bicycle so I can ride inside too. Or if it is nice, I'll ride outside.

And then I do the bulk of my exercise on weekends. That's mostly cycling with the occasional decent hike or half-day of canoeing or couple hours of the gym.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Look into indoor walking tracks as well. Our ice rink has one, tried it out last night and it was great (though loud and chilly lol).
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Every hour, get down and do some pushups. If you do 10 an hour, an 8 hour day (9 if you count lunch hour) 80-90 pushups.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    I take it you're "chained" to your desk? Here's a couple ideas:
    1. Take stairs.
    2. Walk the long way to the bathroom.
    3. Take "smoking" breaks - walk around the building.
    4. Walk the long way to the break room.
    5. Stand and stretch at desk.
    6. Sit on one of those big balls? (I haven't done that).
    7. Park as far away as you can/feel comfortable/is safe.
    8. Dumbbells @ desk?
    9. Squeeze ball (arm/hand) strength at desk.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2016
    I try to get up every 30 mins and walk to another office/ have a bathroom break/ fetch a glass of water. I also have been known to 'loo jog'! (can rack up 200 steps on a bathroom break :smiley: )
    I get my steps in mostly before work though - average 8-10k done first thing, then by evening have another 4k done between what I manage at work and then around the house.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    grafixfrh wrote: »
    Buy a cheap pedi-cycle they are like $20 or so they can help you as they can be used for arms and legs as well, just make sure to get one with rubber feet so will not move alot.

I keep seeing people mention these under desk cycles. I can't imagine using one since my knees are almost touching the bottom part of my desk as is, let alone trying to move.

I looked at a few on Amazon, they said if you're over 5'8" you will probably need a higher desk and chair to make it work.

I'm 6'2" so not happening for me.

For the OP, can you take the dog for a longer walk in the morning or do some other exercise before work.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    grafixfrh wrote: »

I keep seeing people mention these under desk cycles. I can't imagine using one since my knees are almost touching the bottom part of my desk as is, let alone trying to move.

I looked at a few on Amazon, they said if you're over 5'8" you will probably need a higher desk and chair to make it work.

I'm 6'2" so not happening for me.

For the OP, can you take the dog for a longer walk in the morning or do some other exercise before work.

No way I could use one either. Not sure I'd find much benefit, for me anyway. The lunchtime walk and running the stairs are the best for me when I'm feeling like a caged animal ;)
  • bluebell88xx
    bluebell88xx Posts: 68 Member
    I think they sound like a good idea I'm only 5 foot 3 so it would work fine for me I think. Theres some good ideas on here as a whole anyway :)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I converted half of my desk to a standing desk. While standing, I use my resistance bands (Bforce) and do some stuff with them: side leg lifts, rear leg lifts, etc. I walk a few times a day and take the stairs for everything.

None of that is a substitution for working out for me. I still go home and get my gym on.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I do home exercise videos in the evening. I just tried the Jane Fonda one since it was free on Youtube--and it was hard!
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    You could try out some at home workouts, like the bikini body guide stuff. Many versions out there, just check Google. Usually you need very few things to do the workouts.

I also bought a mat and some resistance bands for workouts at home.

Maybe search 'indoor walking' on Google for more tips (and ignore the zombie pics) :))
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Home workouts would be great, there are tonnes of videos for free on youtube, HIIT workouts are super quick too to fit in. I run first thing in the morning before work (6.45am), it's dark but getting lighter, and I find morning darkness feels a lot safe than evening darkness.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Even though it gets dark early where I live too, I still take my dogs out for walks. They demand it and i get whining if i don't take them. I don't usually go far, but i know their hearing is better than mine, so i feel safe walking with them.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I'm an office worker, but can usually manage to get 10,000 steps while I'm at work. I park on the top floor of the parking garage and use the stairs rather than the lift. Every hour I make sure I get up and walk all three floors of the building. And at lunchtime I go for a walk (rain or shine). It's great in the summer because there's a little nature trail at the back of the office and I can get a bit of sneaky bird-watching in.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,898 Member
    Is your desk isolated, or exposed? Isolated you can do periodic sets of pushups and keep a light dumbbell under your desk to move around (curls, overhead presses, etc).
  • Baydogger
    Baydogger Posts: 37 Member
    I sit at a desk all day and commute an hour each way. I had my employer provide a stand-up workstation so at least I can alternate between sitting and standing. I run on my lunch twice a week, and 3 times a week I lift for 30-40 minutes in my basement before or after work. I bought dumbbells second-hand online, same with a bench. I've got a mat and my own bodyweight. Everyone made great suggestions about getting up for frequent breaks and I'm going to try them too. It's dark and cold when I get home that's why I prefer to run on my lunch hour, and run long on Sundays.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Not really. I'll stretch and flex here and there, but that's about it. I get the jitters in my feet. Not much of a workout, but it gets the energy out. You can do calisthenic circuits at home.
  • musclesandmusic866
    musclesandmusic866 Posts: 1,396 Member
    I bought a Veridesk so I can stand. And take short little walks away from my desk as often as possible.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Also - when you get home from work, try some bodyweight exercises. There are bodyweight routines available such as You Are Your Own Gym or the Nerdfitness Bodyweight routine. These can be done in your home so you don't have to go outside.