Protein powder and children

Options
I've been wanting to use my new protein powder in my pancake recipe for some time now. However, I've been put off using it because I think that it wouldn't be a good idea for my 2 & 3 year olds to eat. And obviously with lack of time I can't be asked to make a batch for them and then a second batch for myself.... I can't make myself protein pancakes and make them something else a: because of the above reason and b: because I'll feel bad.

So, is protein powder not good for children???

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Protein is fine for children. I mean, if you have one that contains stimulants, you might not want to give it to them, but protein is fine for kids.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Is there a warning on your brand of protein powder that says something like, "not suitable for people under the age of XX"? If not, and if it's purely protein, no additives, then there shouldn't be a problem...
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll beat me to it, lol.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your replies. I just thoroughly checked :( It says "store out of reach of children" on the packaging. I take that to mean, not to be consumed by children... but if I were to find a brand that doesn't suggest a danger/harm to children, I could incorporate it, yes?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    Thankyou for your replies. I just thoroughly checked :( It says "store out of reach of children" on the packaging. I take that to mean, not to be consumed by children... but if I were to find a brand that doesn't suggest a danger/harm to children, I could incorporate it, yes?

Eh, maybe. Or, it could just be a general warning, as kids might make a mess (it's powder, after all) or that the kids shouldn't just have free access to it for some other reason. After all, many children's medications have that same type of warning - and those are specifically for kids.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Okay then. I think I get the picture. Thanks :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's fine, I think, but my kids would probably refuse to eat it, lol. I'd just make two batches.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just keep in mind that a child only needs about 1/2 gram per Lb per day...personally, I'd check with a doctor before I went throwing protein supplements into their food.

I swear, the "everything has to be protein" stuff on this site is starting to get to me...it's a bit over the top.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking for higher-protein pancake recipes that don't contain protein powder? They're probably not going to have quite as much protein, but would be something you and your kids could share with no worries.

http://thealmondeater.com/2015/04/flourless-peanut-butter-chickpea-pancakes/

http://www.kimscravings.com/2015/09/greek-yogurt-oat-pancakes/
    (Her post says 30g per serving, but the calculated protein in the nutrition below is ~17g. You'll probably want to use the recipe builder for accurate nutrition info.)

I've also made pancakes in the past, put them in the freezer, and heated them in the toaster. Perhaps you could make yourself a big batch of protein pancakes and freeze them? Just warm one up while you're making the kids' breakfast without having to make separate recipes in the morning.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I would just try making my regular pancake batter, cook theirs, and then throw a little protein powder (and additional liquid if necessary) into the rest.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Unless it is some weird protein powder, it is just protein and won't hurt healthy children. I think the only issue I can think of is protein powder is pretty much just protein with no nutrients, so if it was a big part of the diet of a child it would not be providing the nutrients they need. Since you are mixing it in with pancakes, that would not be an issue. On the positive side, if you children are not inclined to eat protein rich foods, this is a way to get some extra protein into their diet which is good for growing children.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I think the amount of p.p. you would use in a batch of pancakes, divided up per person, would not be that big of a deal. I just recently ordered a protein-enriched pancake mix called Kodiak Cakes that was very good. Whole grain and the kids really liked them.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Can you just leave the powder out for theirs? Not sure if it's substantial for the recipe or not.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have protein powder and kids in the same meal. You'd be really heavy on the protein.

. . . I'll just show myself out.