In Need Of Motivation :)

Options
jennie0918
jennie0918 Posts: 69 Member
edited November 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hello,

So i've been doing a great job logging in each day but i'm really having a hard time motivating myself to track my food and workout. A few weeks ago I was pumped and did walking everyday, but I just don't feel like I have the energy to do anything. As far as eating I eat like an apple, or drinkable yogurt, or something like that for breakfast and then have dinner at night. I'm to the point where I don't even have the energy to eat. I have been through a lot since October when I was in a car accident that totaled my car, and i'm currently getting the help I need for my depression. But, I don't want that to be an excuse to why I'm lethargic. I've been to so many trainers and nutritionists, I know exactly how to eat and exercise, I just can't get myself to actually commit. I've been looking for motivation on Pinterest and was hoping to get some feedback here as well.

Thank you for reading,

Jennie

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your car accident and depression. Good for you for getting help with that.

If all you're eating in the morning is an apple or a yogurt then I'd suggest eating something more substantial and make sure it has plenty of protein. The sugar in the items you're eating now will cause an energy crash. Nothing wrong with fruit, of course, but maybe eat your apple with some peanut butter or cheese. Just make sure you weigh and log them carefully.

As far as motivation goes, don't wait for it and you can't rely on it. Don't even think about it. Instead change your mindset and inner dialogue to use the word "habit" in its place. Creating healthy habits is a key to long term weight management.
  • shrestan
    shrestan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennie, thanks for sharing your story and being vulnerable. It sounds like you are self-aware of your current state and the reasons behind your lethargy and depression.

When you first started logging in MFP, what was your primary motive behind it? Basically, have you tried asking yourself - Why do I must track my food and workout?

When we switch from the state of 'want' to 'must', commitment shows up. In addition to this, when you remember or answer your motivations to start tracking, come up with emotional reasons versus logical reasons.

For ex - When I tried saying 'I want to burn belly fat because I want to look good', this reason would take me for a week or two.. until motivation fades away. However when I switched my statement to 'I must burn my belly fat because I've had enough of feeling miserable and frustrated by my current body. I am committed to building a physique that inspires me every day and gives me the energy to pursue my bigger goals in life. I will not give in to the food companies and if I do fall down some time, I will get back up to keep moving forward on my fat-loss journey."

One thing that has helped me is to switch from the diet and workout mindset to a habits mindset i.e. these changes (eating nutritious food and being active) are for the rest of my life and I sure want to make it fun. Workouts are 'Playouts' in my dictionary.

And all of this is indeed biology. The part of the brain where motivation lies (the limbic system) is the same area where human emotions lie and where habits/memories reside. So when you start with why i.e. give yourself a strong compelling (emotional) reasons for your task (in this case - logging your food and exercise), you will see your inertia of rest switch to inertia of motion.

I've been through manic depression and know it can be hard to find that 'motivation'. What worked for me was having a positive vision for my future and that kept me going every day.

See if you have at least 3-5 people in your inner circle whom you trust with all your secrets. Get one of these friends to ask you about your daily meals every day.

"Get in your head and you're dead." I love this quote by Tony Robbins. So anytime you see yourself talking to your head, step outside and start feeling grateful for the things you have in your life.

Combining a strong Why i.e. a sense of purpose for health goals with the habit of daily gratitude helped me to come out of the darkest days of my life while getting stronger, healthier, and energized.

---

Action Steps -

1. Answer your Why. Why do you need to commit to tracking your food and exercise? Emotions over logic.
    2. List 3-5 friends whom you trust with your life. Ask them to be your accountability buddy.
    3. Build the Gratitude Journaling habit. You may write 3 things you're grateful for on a ruled journal or use 'The 5-Minute Journal' that has an inbuilt template with Qs.
    4. Assess your current happiness levels and then reassess it after 12 weeks.
    Here's the link - authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu
    Check out the Authentic Happiness Inventory Quiz. It's based on scientific research done by Dr. Martin Seligman from Univ of Penn who also wrote a book titled 'Authentic Happiness'.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply back to this thread with any questions you have.

- Ankur

P.S. If you're reading this, did you smile today?
  • jennie0918
    Options
    I'm literally so taken back and thankful for your response. Some of the things you said have actuall been told to me by my clinician at the groups I'm attending and I think hearing someone else say it instead of the same people really hit me. And changing the way I think and you spending time to go into detail and come up with an action plan that's really helpful for me is very important to me. Yes I did smile today and I am very fortunate to have had you respond. I will use your tools because they sounds great and effective and I appreciate your response. :)
  • jennie0918
    Options
    Also thank you BZAH10 for your input as well I definitely have to change the way I think and I appreciate your support!!
  • jaxonzhole
    jaxonzhole Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. You got this!!
  • m0niqueee
    m0niqueee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You are stronger than this and will overcome it! If you need some motivation or support add me (: