Help!!!! I'm so discouraged!

Options
I am currently 11 weeks postpartum. This is my third child. I'm 35 years old, 5'3" and 152 lbs. Before getting pregnant I weighed 127-132. I have been counting my calories (trying to stay around 1200 daily) and doing at home 30 minute work outs 3-5 a week for 6 weeks. I am 1 pound less than I was when I got home from the hospital. 1 freaking pound!!!!! I seriously don't know what to do and I'm starting to have a lot of anxiety and some depression. I have had blood work and my thyroid is fine. My dr is now leaning towards high cortisol levels being the reason I can't budge the numbers on the scale. I am open to any suggestions.

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think your stress is self-imposed. Why the need to reach that specific number? Ask yourself if the one pound is going to significantly impact your life. Also want to point out that if you are nursing 1200 calories may be too low. I'm not talking about starvation mode, just general health over all.
  • cmkeiling
    cmkeiling Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 1 pound since having the baby. I came home at 153 and now weigh 152. And I am not breastfeeding. I weighed 132 when I got pregnant. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    A few questions... What was your weight 6 weeks ago when you started? You mentioned a 1 pound change from when you were discharged.

What does 'trying to stay around 1200 daily' mean? Do you log everything, everyday, accurately by using a food scale for solids and measuring cups/spoons for liquids? Account for all liquids, cooking oils, snacks/bites/tastes?

Last thought, at 11 weeks pp your body might still have some hormonal fluctuations going on. I'm not sure the timeline for when that evens out. (My youngest is 15...) You may want to focus on health/nutrition/fitness for now while still watching your calories, and hold off on expectations of the scale moving for another month or two.
    cmkeiling wrote: »
    I am currently 11 weeks postpartum. This is my third child. I'm 35 years old, 5'3" and 152 lbs. Before getting pregnant I weighed 127-132. I have been counting my calories (trying to stay around 1200 daily) and doing at home 30 minute work outs 3-5 a week for 6 weeks. I am 1 pound less than I was when I got home from the hospital. 1 freaking pound!!!!! I seriously don't know what to do and I'm starting to have a lot of anxiety and some depression. I have had blood work and my thyroid is fine. My dr is now leaning towards high cortisol levels being the reason I can't budge the numbers on the scale. I am open to any suggestions.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Move on.
  • cmkeiling
    cmkeiling Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I use a food scale. I do not take bites of anything. And some days I'm at 1100 calories and others I'm at 1300 calories but I won't go higher than 1300.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new baby! Probably not what you want to hear, but be patient. You've been through pregnancies before so remember that it takes a while for your body to fully recover. Eleven weeks is a short period of time. Enjoy your new little one, seek help if you are feeling depressed (nothing wrong with that and you certainly aren't alone), and give yourself time.

High levels of stress and lack of sleep can also affect weight loss so try to relax and get as much rest as possible.
  • emilygduran
    emilygduran Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    High levels of stress and lack of sleep can also affect weight loss so try to relax and get as much rest as possible.

This is what I was going to say. Congratulations on the baby!

• fox_mnl
    fox_mnl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My godson just came into the world a few weeks ago. Mommy is tired and devotes all her energy to both of her baby boys. She said she had been trying to lose postpartum weight. I saw her the other day and she said she gave up because she did not have time to eat anyway. So she would just grab a bite as soon as she had the chance no matter what that was. We were discussing about that while having a piece of baklava! Awesome sweet. Well, that is not healthy diet either but the point is that she gets exhausted and needs calories/energy. Other than that, I also agree with patience.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You just had a baby. Give yourself a break. Don't expect to get back to pre-pregnancy weight so fast like the celebrities and what you see on social media. You don't have millions of dollars to spend on coaches, trainers, personal chefs to do all that for you.
  • AlienMoon32
    AlienMoon32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your body is not going to just bounce back to normal IMMEDIATELY at this age, sorry to say. I understand, I am also in my 30s. My advice to you is to stop weighing yourself so much. 11weeks is not that long. I needed 6 months to get back in shape and have my body looking somewhat normal and that was in my early 20s after being pretty physically fit in the Army. You're stressing yourself too much.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Congrats on the new baby! Probably not what you want to hear, but be patient. You've been through pregnancies before so remember that it takes a while for your body to fully recover. Eleven weeks is a short period of time. Enjoy your new little one, seek help if you are feeling depressed (nothing wrong with that and you certainly aren't alone), and give yourself time.

All of this.

It took me about 8 months to lose the baby weight and get my prepregnancy body back. And I planned it that way so it wasnt a struggle or anything. Patience is key. Good luck.