Hypothyroid Ladies 30s-40s

Options
Hi Everyone! I'm reaching out to you 30-40 something women diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I'm relatively new to this diagnosis but realize my body has been feeling the effects for some time. Not seeking advice on meds, but on diet/nutrition. I am a regular exerciser: 2 days a week I teach Zumba, 2 days a week I run 3 miles and in between I do some strength training. I have some bad eating habits in the evenings that I am getting under control.

Please share if you have modified your nutrition plan due to hypothyroidism. I have been educating myself on things like sugar, caffeine, and gluten and how they can impact the body for those who have hypothyroidism. But I'd like some real-life feedback. Hopefully someone out there can help.

Replies

• sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    In reality I have more dietary guidelines due to the iron deficiency than the hypothyroidism. I still eat everything but watch my portions and eat small meals throughout the day. I will say for me I don't eat after 8pm mostly because I don't feel good when I eat late at night. I have managed to lose 90 lbs after thyroid surgery but it wasn't easy.
  • lillypadstudio
    lillypadstudio Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have heard that increasing your potassium is essential.
    Avacados
    Squash
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Mushrooms
    Kale
    Bananas. I was actually looking up foods that help reduce celluite and it was also mentioned that these foods help people with hypothyroidism. This is working for me. Dr. Berg on youtube.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    As someone with Hashimotos thyroiditis, the most common form of hypothyroid problem, I would strongly suggest you ask your doctor to test you for thyroid antibodies, many will not, believing "all hypo" is the same when it is not. This is not the simple thing many doctors try to make out it to be. Unlike hypothyroidism from iodine deficiency, Hashimoto's debilitates one's thyroid by immune inspired antibody attacks which can impact on many other systems. The immune system thinks some of our own tissue is alien and tries to kill it off because it thinks it is too similar to other molecules. From what I understand, if one can establish one's own personal triggers and address one's digestive biome issues, to repair what is often referred to as a leaky gut which lets molecules of inadequately digested food into the blood stream which causes the immune system to be confused. Eating foods to encourage our helpful microbes, replacing microbes which have easily been killed off by antibiotic use, current and past, the antibodies will reduce. It is all so complicated and can be person specific.

Try looking at/ reading from the Stop the Thyroid Madness site, its also on Facebook, this site keeps up with all the latest information as does the site, Thyroid Mom. You could look into one's own national Thyroid support sites too. I have found sites by functional medicine very helpful. Unfortunately, in my personal experience, general medicine does not keep up with the latest hashi information and often insists that t4 supplementation is all one needs when it unfortunately does not do the thing for many people. I have been given the impression that I am failing to conform but having turned to a nutritionist I know Its not my failure to conform, I am doing so much better addressing my intolerance and allergies, even yeast overgrowth. Read all you can, including from well informed, even hospital sites, to the extent that you know as much, if not more than some endocrinologists.

We do have a hypo and hyper group on here but it is quiet at the moment. All the very best.
  • Kel_bel1978
    Kel_bel1978 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    As someone with Hashimotos thyroiditis, the most common form of hypothyroid problem, I would strongly suggest you ask your doctor to test you for thyroid antibodies, many will not, believing "all hypo" is the same when it is not. This is not the simple thing many doctors try to make out it to be. Unlike hypothyroidism from iodine deficiency, Hashimoto's debilitates one's thyroid by immune inspired antibody attacks which can impact on many other systems. The immune system thinks some of our own tissue is alien and tries to kill it off because it thinks it is too similar to other molecules. From what I understand, if one can establish one's own personal triggers and address one's digestive biome issues, to repair what is often referred to as a leaky gut which lets molecules of inadequately digested food into the blood stream which causes the immune system to be confused. Eating foods to encourage our helpful microbes, replacing microbes which have easily been killed off by antibiotic use, current and past, the antibodies will reduce. It is all so complicated and can be person specific.

Try looking at/ reading from the Stop the Thyroid Madness site, its also on Facebook, this site keeps up with all the latest information as does the site, Thyroid Mom. You could look into one's own national Thyroid support sites too. I have found sites by functional medicine very helpful. Unfortunately, in my personal experience, general medicine does not keep up with the latest hashi information and often insists that t4 supplementation is all one needs when it unfortunately does not do the thing for many people. I have been given the impression that I am failing to conform but having turned to a nutritionist I know Its not my failure to conform, I am doing so much better addressing my intolerance and allergies, even yeast overgrowth. Read all you can, including from well informed, even hospital sites, to the extent that you know as much, if not more than some endocrinologists.

We do have a hypo and hyper group on here but it is quiet at the moment. All the very best.

Thank you- I ordered the book Stop the Thyroid Madness II and it was just delivered. I have some reading to do :)
  • Kel_bel1978
    Kel_bel1978 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sy_19440 wrote: »
    In reality I have more dietary guidelines due to the iron deficiency than the hypothyroidism. I still eat everything but watch my portions and eat small meals throughout the day. I will say for me I don't eat after 8pm mostly because I don't feel good when I eat late at night. I have managed to lose 90 lbs after thyroid surgery but it wasn't easy.

Thank you for the insight. Small meals might be what I need to do as well. I appreciate your feedback.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    MAN here!! Hypothyroid take synthroid 137 since early 90's food has never been an issue with this condition. Awesome job on the weight loss 90 lbs is so awesome you have to feel fantastic
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Im only 24 but hypothyroid for me just making sure I don't eat something with a lot of calcium carbonate that interferes with my medicine within a few hours and getting the correct dosage helped me. I am on T3 which was the key, I convert wrong. On a correct dose I feel like my weightloss is just like a normal person. Before I was medicated properly I couldn't get a few stubborn lbs off.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't have thyroid issues but my good friend does. We've been on this weight loss journey together and it's been not successful for her unfortunately.

Like the other posters she had to convince her doc to order the right tests and to confirm Hashimotos. She's on Synthroid and a host of supplements. Her iron was low. Fibroids. She was miserable. It's somewhat less dire now, but the irony is that losing weight will help the symptoms but the condition itself makes weight loss so difficult. She has actually gained, despite her eating at 1200 cals a day whereas I can lose on 1600-1800.

She's had some success in completely eliminating gluten and sugar. I mean, no sugar like not even ketchup. It's restrictive and hard to maintain. I have a lot of sympathy for her. She has to continually recommit to this lifestyle.

I follow Wellness Mama on Facebook. She has Hashimotos and has great resources and recipes (I trust her recipes faithfully!). Check her blog out.

Good luck! Everyone is different and my friend's experience may be not like yours at all.

• lisaannet6
    lisaannet6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all! It is so frustrating for all of us and offer my help to support the group in achieving all our goals! I would like to finally hit my weight loss from my diagnosis (and weight from prescribed prednisone...yuk!) by June! Anyone else interested in a "buddy system" to motivate each other welcome! Also doing research on the nutrition to help our conditions! Best of luck in all of your goals!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I am not a fan of "Stop the Thyroid Madness." Personally, I find the site too sensationalist and one-sided. It does exactly what it claims most doctor's don't do--present all the options in a neutral way which will support the reader in making an informed decision. Armour does help people, but it's not the only option out there. The important thing is to know what options you have and to find the best solution for you.

I did fall for woo and cut out soy, uncooked goitrous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) and stone fruits like peaches as well as strawberries. Made no difference.

12 years post-diagnosis, I just eat a healthy diet. I get enough protein and fiber. You am low on iron, vitamin D and b vitamins, so I supplement with my doctors guidance.

I exercise daily doing yoga, gym cardio and weight training.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    General dietary advice for hypothyroidism generally includes:

Avoiding goitergens in excess.
    Ensure adequate the intake of selenium and iodine.
    Make sure you take your synthetic thyroid at least 1/2 hr before food for proper absorption.

People with an autoimmune thyroid disfunction should speak with their endocrinologist about how to reduce the autoimmune response through diet too.

There is plenty of good info available online, however the best port of call should be your treating doctor.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The same general approaches work for us as well as all the others, assuming your meds are correctly dosed. Eat within your calories and move more! I've been fat and thin at different points through being hypo and just need to do the work like everyone to lose the weight.
  • Tea_A_Holic
    Tea_A_Holic Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in my 50's and was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was very young and always had problems with weight! Anyway, I have just found a site that may help, it has bite size but informative information.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/thyroid-pictures/foods-to-eat/
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    To be honest, I am not a fan of "Stop the Thyroid Madness." Personally, I find the site too sensationalist and one-sided. It does exactly what it claims most doctor's don't do--present all the options in a neutral way which will support the reader in making an informed decision. Armour does help people, but it's not the only option out there. The important thing is to know what options you have and to find the best solution for you.

I did fall for woo and cut out soy, uncooked goitrous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) and stone fruits like peaches as well as strawberries. Made no difference.

12 years post-diagnosis, I just eat a healthy diet. I get enough protein and fiber. You am low on iron, vitamin D and b vitamins, so I supplement with my doctors guidance.

I exercise daily doing yoga, gym cardio and weight training.

^This regarding Stop The Thyroid Madness. I'm out of the age group you're talking to. I still tend to avoid large quantities of uncooked goitrous veggies for the um, digestive issue they cause and I avoid soy because I'm soy intolerant. It has nothing to do with my thyroid.

I really haven't had much issue dropping weight. I started at 52, and dropped 70 pounds my first year of losing. I slowed down and dropped an additional 20 pounds in my second year of weight loss effort.

I didn't find it particularly hard. I think the people who think it's hard expect weight to come flying off and have unrealistic expectations about the whole process. Weight loss isn't necessarily fast like we see on tv shows like The Biggest Loser.

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It would be nice for people to recognise that hypothyroidism has many causes, sub types and affects people in different ways; just because maintenance or weight loss was not an issue for them personally, it is a very real aspect of hypothyroidism for others.

Some of the 'I never had an issue, weight loss was easy for me' type comments show a lack of understanding and respect for people who are affected differently by hypothyroidism than their own (limited) experience.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Saying that hypothyroidism affects weight and weight loss is ignoring medical fact, though.
    Since the BMR in the patient with hypothyroidism (see
    Hypothyroidism brochure) is decreased, an underactive
    thyroid is generally associated with some weight gain. The
    weight gain is often greater in those individuals with more
    severe hypothyroidism. However, the decrease in BMR
    due to hypothyroidism is usually much less dramatic than
    the marked increase seen in hyperthyroidism, leading to
    more modest alterations in weight due to the underactive
    thyroid. The cause of the weight gain in hypothyroid
    individuals is also complex, and not always related to
    excess fat accumulation. Most of the extra weight gained
    in hypothyroid individuals is due to excess accumulation
    of salt and water. Massive weight gain is rarely associated
    with hypothyroidism. In general, 5-10 pounds of body
    weight may be attributable to the thyroid, depending on
    the severity of the hypothyroidism. Finally, if weight gain
    is the only symptom of hypothyroidism that is present, it is
    less likely that the weight gain is solely due to the thyroid.

Since much of the weight gain in hypothyroidism is
    accumulation in salt and water, when the hypothyroidism
    is treated one can expect a small (usually less than
    10% of body weight) weight loss. As in the treatment
    with hyperthyroidism, treatment of the abnormal
    state of hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone should
    result in a return of body weight to what it was before
    the hypothyroidism developed. However, since
    hypothyroidism usually develops over a long period of
    time, it is fairly common to find that there is no significant
    weight loss after successful treatment of hypothyroidism.
    Again, if all of the other symptoms of hypothyroidism, with
    the exception of weight gain, are resolved with treatment
    with thyroid hormone, it is less likely that the weight gain is
    solely due to the thyroid. Once hypothyroidism has been
    treated and thyroid hormone levels have returned to the
    normal range of thyroid hormone, the ability to gain or
    lose weight is the same as in individuals who do not have
    thyroid problems.

http://www.thyroid.org/wp-content/uploads/patients/brochures/Thyroid_and_Weight.pdf

• zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Saying that hypothyroidism affects weight and weight loss is ignoring medical fact, though.
    Since the BMR in the patient with hypothyroidism (see
    Hypothyroidism brochure) is decreased, an underactive
    thyroid is generally associated with some weight gain. The
    weight gain is often greater in those individuals with more
    severe hypothyroidism. However, the decrease in BMR
    due to hypothyroidism is usually much less dramatic than
    the marked increase seen in hyperthyroidism, leading to
    more modest alterations in weight due to the underactive
    thyroid. The cause of the weight gain in hypothyroid
    individuals is also complex, and not always related to
    excess fat accumulation. Most of the extra weight gained
    in hypothyroid individuals is due to excess accumulation
    of salt and water. Massive weight gain is rarely associated
    with hypothyroidism. In general, 5-10 pounds of body
    weight may be attributable to the thyroid, depending on
    the severity of the hypothyroidism. Finally, if weight gain
    is the only symptom of hypothyroidism that is present, it is
    less likely that the weight gain is solely due to the thyroid.

Since much of the weight gain in hypothyroidism is
    accumulation in salt and water, when the hypothyroidism
    is treated one can expect a small (usually less than
    10% of body weight) weight loss. As in the treatment
    with hyperthyroidism, treatment of the abnormal
    state of hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone should
    result in a return of body weight to what it was before
    the hypothyroidism developed. However, since
    hypothyroidism usually develops over a long period of
    time, it is fairly common to find that there is no significant
    weight loss after successful treatment of hypothyroidism.
    Again, if all of the other symptoms of hypothyroidism, with
    the exception of weight gain, are resolved with treatment
    with thyroid hormone, it is less likely that the weight gain is
    solely due to the thyroid. Once hypothyroidism has been
    treated and thyroid hormone levels have returned to the
    normal range of thyroid hormone, the ability to gain or
    lose weight is the same as in individuals who do not have
    thyroid problems.

http://www.thyroid.org/wp-content/uploads/patients/brochures/Thyroid_and_Weight.pdf

exactly my experience! Once treated it isn't still extra difficult
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm reaching out to you 30-40 something women diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I'm relatively new to this diagnosis but realize my body has been feeling the effects for some time. Not seeking advice on meds, but on diet/nutrition. I am a regular exerciser: 2 days a week I teach Zumba, 2 days a week I run 3 miles and in between I do some strength training. I have some bad eating habits in the evenings that I am getting under control.

Please share if you have modified your nutrition plan due to hypothyroidism. I have been educating myself on things like sugar, caffeine, and gluten and how they can impact the body for those who have hypothyroidism. But I'd like some real-life feedback. Hopefully someone out there can help.

45 yr male - diagnosed with thyroid cancer 16 years ago resulting in a total thyroidectomy. The biggest hurdle was the mental one. I was likely trending hyper my entire life and never diagnosed, but I had limitless energy, needed little sleep, and was eating upwards of 6000 calories and still losing weight. Transitioning from an extremely active military career to an academic one was the largest change and I never changed my eating habits and gained ~70 lbs. over 14 years. Once I found MFP and started tracking my caloric intake and increasing my output I was able to lose ~60 lbs. in a year. A big factor for me was being told that I would gain weight after the thyroidectomy and I believed it. Once I found the work of Dr. Jeffrey Brown this changed. He is a game changing endocrinologist and responsible for the treatment regimen of several elite level athletes.

I am a medical professional and scientist, so avoid site such as Stop the Thyroid Madness and stick to sources that can be reproduced and have a foundation in research. In my own research I have gone off levothyroxine and only observed a 5% reduction in BMR in a 60 day period.

Sugar, caffeine, gluten - all have no impact for those with hypothyroidism. There is no evidence that diet plays a role any more than the average person. There is no logical reason why anything different would occur unless the individual has an additional metabolic or nutritional deficiency.
  • poorlittlefish
    poorlittlefish Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was in my early twenties and am now 39. For me, I didn't change anything. Well, I switched out my Sea Salt for regular table salt due to the iodine. I have found if my levels are within range I can lose weight as well as anyone just with a regular diet in which I count calories. When I was diagnosed, my TSH was 42. Very high. I didn't lose any weight once I was treated but my other symptoms went away (hair falling out, constipation, extreme exhaustion etc). Good luck and don't stress too much about it, it hasn't really changed my life much. People like to use it as an excuse as to why they can't lose weight but it is just that, an excuse.