Recent problem with Apple Watch steps

Options
nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
I've been using a fitbit then an apple watch to count steps and adjust my calories for four years. Apple watch always worked fine and my 5 miles/10K steps would earn me a few hundred extra calories. In the last few months (fuzzy here), I'm getting around 30 calories for them. I do not understand why. Says I've earned 380 or so calories on the watch. 30 or 40 calorie adjust on MFP. Just went through a full re-install and no change.

Has anyone else seen a change? Or know how many calories 5 miles walking should earn?

Replies

• stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been having sort of the same problem with my Garmin Vivosmart...
    I used the regular Vivosmart for 6 months, and it would log about 77 Cal for a 5 mi. walk with an average speed of 3.4. I recently "upgraded" to the Vivosmart HR, & now it seems to log highly exaggerated calorie amounts.
    I'm just going by Map my walk instead..
    Your question makes me wonder if it's an MFP problem, or if all trackers are wacky in their own way.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Maybe. I'd used it for quite a while, but after a recent update it is simply markedly different.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Is the 380 calories you are talking about your move goal total? Because those are not enough to spike real exercise calories. I am fairly sure there was an adjustment in MFP recently to lower the cals given for steps because it was unreasonably generous.
  • nxd10
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well, I've maintained for almost five years using those steps and their old calculations worked fine for me. But I do walk quite fast. Now that they've made the change, I'm 300 calories lower every day than I used to be and have started dropping weight.
  • hitch4605
    hitch4605 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I used to get about 100 calories per mile walked, but now it is more like 30. No clue what the issue is, but must be MFP...
  • 321sjs
    321sjs Posts: 10 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It is a bug that affects Apple users since MFP did an update on November 11. I received an email response from MFP that said they will be working on a fix, however they anticipate it will be a few weeks due to holidays. MFP posted a response in one of the forums and you can read it here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10478352/ios-7-5-release-notes-discussion#
    Last week I had a day with 18.4k steps and MFP gave me 0 calories! Over 10 miles and it was worth a big fat zero, unfortunately it was Thanksgiving day and I was hoping I would earn enough calories for a small piece of pie. Other days I earn a few calories from steps but it isn't consistent. Hope they fix it soon!
  • nxd10
    Options
    That's the problem I'm having too. Thank you.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. No clue why. I've been manually adding my walks/runs based on what they were before whatever happened.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This problem never got fixed because I am faced with the same issue.