Chinese Food?

Options
It was my sister's birthday a few days ago, and we are having a get-together tomorrow to celebrate. She wants to go to this chinese restaurant, but I'm afraid I have no idea what types of food I should get that won't put me over my limit.

If anyone has some suggestions on what I should fill my plate with, or what foods I should avoid, I would really appreciate it. :smile:

Replies

• arutherf
    arutherf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It was my sister's birthday a few days ago, and we are having a get-together tomorrow to celebrate. She wants to go to this chinese restaurant, but I'm afraid I have no idea what types of food I should get that won't put me over my limit.

If anyone has some suggestions on what I should fill my plate with, or what foods I should avoid, I would really appreciate it. :smile:
  • weezie79
    Options
    chinese vegies in oyster/crab sauce
    plain rice (try and limit yourself to 1/2 cup)
    steamed dishes
    avoid anything deep fried (think honey prawns, sweet and sour pork, spring rolls etc)
    clear broth soups with wontons

I'm having chinese tonight. I'm ordering take-away and plan on pre-cooking a cup of brown rice before hand for my friend and myself to share with the dishes.
    I'm ordering : stir-fried chinese vegetables with bean curd, steamed wontons, king prawns with broccoli.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    When I was doing WW I ate chinese once a week and still lost 40lbs. I would eat chicken/broccoli and steamed rice and sometimes egg drop soup. Just don't eat anything fried (eggroll) go for lots of veggies and anything steamed.
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    Just have what sounds really good to you with a little compromise on the healthy part, eat only the amount you feel comfortable with, and take the rest home to be given away, or eaten in small amounts over the next couple of days. Enjoy! :drinker:
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 66
    Options
    hi, hope i can be helpful here seeing i am chinese. To avoid gaining weight take only half a bowl of white rice. like the others here said, take only steamed food, avoid fried stuff, stir fry veges and you're good to go! :) I regularly have rice for my meals but i notice when i avoid rice for 2 weeks i lose weight easier.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    My standby's for Chinese are:

Steamed veggie dumplings
    Egg Drop Soup
    Hot and Sour Soup
    Chicken and Broccoli (with sauce on the side or lighter sauce if they have it)
    White Rice or Brown if they have it.

I don't eat all that but I will usually have a few dumplings with the chicken and broccoli or soup with it or maybe just do the dumplings and soup. Whatever I am in the mood for.

The big thing with Chinese food is the sodium!! Really high so try to plan for that and drink a lot of water.
  • Dustdevil
    Options
    We have a Chinese restaurant in here called Lui's. It has a traditional 'chinese buffet' and then they have a chef in the stir-fry bar. Anything you want can be cooked in the wok per your request while you watch it being cooked.

I love it!
  • finzup
    finzup Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For stir fried dishes, ask if they can make the dish with less/no oil - many will accommodate.

If not, then go for steamed veggies with chicken or shrimp.

See if they have brown rice (many Asian restaurants have it now) and have that (1/2 cup) instead of white rice.

Don't drink any of those fancy polynesian drinks (read: sugar sugar sugar + alcohol)

Drink a light beer or glass of wine if you must drink

Drink lots of water as the food can be high in sodium

Good luck!
  • arutherf
    arutherf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. They were very helpful in deciding what I should fill my plate with. I did a pretty good job about not going over on my calories considering it was also a buffet. Only 100 cals over, so I was very happy about that. :happy:

Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it.
  • cwalbrj
    cwalbrj Posts: 61
    Options
    I read somewhere recently (don't recall where), that if you are watching your weight / calories, when ordering Chinese, go with the beef/brocolli. Not sure what the cals are... but it is mostly brocolli with just thin strips of beef. Have fun !:smile: