Water?

Options
What's the rationale to advise users to :"Aim to drink at least 1920 milliliters of water today. You can quick add common sizes or enter a custom amount"?

Is there evidence that drinking lots of water is good for you? I know drinking too much can be dangerous; doesn't the bolded phrase put MFP in a position where they could be sued?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    In the United States anybody can be sued for any reason. That doesn't mean the suit will be successful.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Make it easy on yourself: drink enough to not feel thirsty and to pee on a regular basis. Forget about measurements.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MFP takes all it's recommendations from stuff like the Institute of Medicine, and that seems to be what this is:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256

I think it's silly and ignore it, since I know I drink plenty of water.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I would think that the rationale is that 1920 milliliters is roughtly equal to 64 ounces, which is the equivalent of eight 8 oz. glasses a day, which (right or wrong) is the commonly-repeated recommended amount of water to drink each day.

That's not that much liquid.
  • bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I drink way to much water for an average person, I also void a lot as well. So maybe it all works out.
  • aussieketogal
    aussieketogal Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you don't normally drink a lot of water like i didn't and you're trying to lose weight, this is a great number to track and push for. I found when I started pushing for 2litres a day my weight started dropping more and I am 'guessing' it may have been because my body stopped retaining water as it was constantly getting a new supply.

That's just my personal assumption anyhow. It's working for me! ;)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Focus on your pee colour not a number. Clear/light lemonade color pee= good hydration.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,866 Member
    Options
    Your food has water. Your coffee has water. Chugging unwanted water is not necessary.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    For me to remain hydrated (judged by urine colour) I have to consume about 4 times that amount. Am I going to die?!?!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,111 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would think that the rationale is that 1920 milliliters is roughtly equal to 64 ounces, which is the equivalent of eight 8 oz. glasses a day, which (right or wrong) is the commonly-repeated recommended amount of water to drink each day.

That's not that much liquid.

This

1920 ml isn't that much. It's not even 2 litres.

Personally, I don't drink all my water as just plain water. When I add up my coffee, tea, coke zero, and plain water, I put away about 3 litres on days I don't exercise much, and significantly more than that on day I do.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    all righty!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,111 Member
    Options
    guinnog wrote: »
    I know drinking too much can be dangerous

Only if you drink too much without consuming an adequate amount of electrolytes. It's called hyponatremia. But if you consume an adequate amount of electrolytes, you can drink a whole lot of water.

I have gone into hyponatremia ... but the circumstances were something that most people probably wouldn't encounter.