Heading to Memphis. Any kid friendly healthy dinning options

Our family is heading out to Memphis tomorrow. I really want to be conscious of my eating while I am gone and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for kid friendly healthy dinning options while we are there? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    When eating at restaurants I try to find places that will let me order a kid's meal for myself. :)

Or...Subway!
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    I live in Memphis and you have to get BBQ while you're here. :smile: And if you ask for the sauce on the side, smoked meat is actually pretty good for you!

My top BBQ joints in the Memphis area are:

Central BBQ (on Central Ave., not the Summer Ave location)
    The BBQ Shop on Madison Ave.
    Corky's BBQ on Poplar Ave.

The local chain called Huey's is known for their burgers, and the best part is you can get any burger on their menu with a beef patty, turkey patty, veggie patty or black bean patty! And they have a "light" menu with lower sodium and side salads and fresh fruit instead of fries. Most kids really get a kick out of it simply for the atmosphere (you can write on the walls and blow toothpicks into the ceilings!) The best location (IMO) is on Madison Ave. (its the original) but the downtown location is good too.

Hope that helps!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    I am not from Memphis but I did a search online..there is a Jason's Deli near the University of Memphis. This is one of our family favorites. The kids' menu has normal kid stuff made a tad healthier..ie the the ham sandwich can be on white, wheat or a wholegrain organic wrap. the website for the chain has great nutritonal info as well. My son will get a sandwich with organic apple slices and an organic chocolate milk. My choices there are endless, which is really nice for me as a vegetarian. There are spinach veggie wraps. Salads and pastas also available in the "lighter portion which quite frankly is the correct portion...and the nutritional info is either on their website or on MFP. Outside of Jason's deli, if you are eating out, subway is usually ok or another sub joint.
  • ketojeanna
    ketojeanna Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!