Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    4 days of strength where I alternate body area each day e.g. Monday legs).
    Do you mean you are only hitting one body area once a week? That would be dreadfully inefficient way of training (especially for a beginner) - or do you mean upper/lower split so hitting each area twice a week?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with hitting a bodypart once per week.

For you? For me? Or for the OP?

In general. You claimed that it was "dreadfully inefficient".

For a beginner, it largely is inefficient. Your gains will be significantly slower. If you look at pretty much every reputable trainer, they all suggest no less than 2x a week; there is a lot of debate if 3x is better or worse since MPS occurs over a 36-48 hour period of time.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Posted this as a question in "Which Lifting programme is best" thread to not go off topic here.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    First of all congrats on your weight loss, that's amazing :) I wouldn't track your exercise cals because those can be very misleading (it's hard to measure exactly how much is being burned). If i were you I would go the TDEE route-- on MFP they have that page where they ask you to say how active you are, and so you should put it to the option that sounds like your workout schedule (Active 5 days a week or whatever it says). Then on the page where it asks how much weight you want to lose, you can put it to 0.5 lbs a week- this will keep you at a small deficit so you will continue losing, but slowly.

At this point (as everyone has said) you should be focusing on putting on muscle, and if you are eating at 1200 cal there's no way that can happen! I myself went down this route when I first lost weight (not wanting to eat more cals out of fear of gaining everything) and I ended up losing a lot of my muscle mass. As soon as I upped my calories the results came pretty quickly. I'm sure they will for you too seeing as you already have a solid workout routine.

Also, I know it can be overwhelming on this site when everyone tells you different things to do (what to eat, how to workout, etc), but for beginners I think sticking to something is the most important part. If you stick to a workout routine, you will see results.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Oh and another thing, if you are trying to put on muscle you don't really need as much cardio. I know the cardio helped you with faster weight loss, but you will definitely need to be eating a lot more to support both activities. If it scares you to be eating 2200+ cals then maybe you can cut back a bit on the cardio and focus more on the strength training.