will you ever be happy with your weight? what is your ultimate goal weight?

Options
Mine- 26 kg to lose ( about 60 lbs)

Replies

• Myrnlvr
    Myrnlvr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hit goal! +6 lbs, down to 114 from 180. And I'm not sure I ever will be happy with my weight, so I'm trying to just be happy regardless of it :smile:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I hit goal! +6 lbs, down to 114 from 180. And I'm not sure I ever will be happy with my weight, so I'm trying to just be happy regardless of it :smile:

THAT is the key! Better to focus on overall health and what your body can do rather than the number on the scale. Learning to detach emotion from that takes some work but once you do it it's so freeing!

My maintenance weight fluctuates quite a bit because I retain water easily so keeping track of my measurements and how my clothes fit and ultimately, how I FEEL is much more important.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I think being "happy with your weight" actually has more to do with being happy with your body composition (bodyfat percentage and muscle mass). Aesthetically, there's a huge difference between somebody who's 5'4", 130 lbs. and 35% BF, or somebody who's the same height/weight and 20% BF. There's also a huge metabolic/health difference between those two.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I started out with a goal weight of 135. I'm currently down to 140 and have changed to a body fat percentage goal (15% or less) vs a weight goal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    I was reasonably happy before I started losing weight. The only reason why I did want to lose weight was to make my cycling better again. So I did, and as soon as I did, I turned my focus to my cycling. :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    The scale should not dictate your mood. Aim to look how you want, no matter what you weigh.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Happy is a subjective term. Will I accept the number as a measurement, yes, will I get complacent and not continue to improve, no.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Goal weight is tricky!

When I lost 54 lbs and reached my goal weight, I didn't felt confortable at all, and wasn't at ease with my silhouette, either.

After a year with mixed sports and strengh training my weight is the same, but my muscles are more toned and I feel really well compared to being at the same weight as last year.

As AnvilHead mentioned, the bodycomposition is at least as important as the weight in itself, I do advice to tone while losing weight to avoid the disappointment when realising that goal weight in itself isn't necessarily enough.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    My happiness doesn't depend on my weight. I am amazed that I do weigh what I do since I've been fat most of my life, but mostly I feel weird because I'm considered "normal" and "thin". My body composition sucks though and I'd like to change that except I'm a) lazy, and b) the type of work needed to change how I look is stuff I despise doing.

I just don't want to hit 140# again. That's my top limit and was my GW. I've lost another 8# this year without much effort.
  • akilia112010
    akilia112010 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll be happy with my weight I lose at least 60 lbs
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    that is the 64 billion dollar question.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm "happy with my weight" because I got to a point where I don't want to be any smaller or any bigger. I'm not happy with my body composition or how it looks naked, but I have accepted that it is what it is because at this point I'm not willing to do what it would take to change those.
  • adejournee
    adejournee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am not happy with my current weight (148lbs) but I am the only one to blame. I should eat better and I always procrastinate to next month. I loose motivation easily because I 've tried in the past and wasn't satisfied and so I gain instead. I will be happy to loose body fat instead of focusing on the weight this time
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not sure that I will ever been happy with my weight. I look at pictures of when I thought I was fat and now I'm like, damn I looked good!!! Never satisfied with myself. It's just who I am I think. Always pushing.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'm perfectly happy right now. My fantasy weight is 172. My average weight fluctuates between 176-180 on any given day.

Quite frankly though, I'm not sure 172 would be any benefit to me. I've gained a fair amount of muscle over the last months and don't want to lose it, and the last time I felt this fit and good was almost 30 years ago.

Nah - pretty content at the moment.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I started out with a goal weight of 135. I'm currently down to 140 and have changed to a body fat percentage goal (15% or less) vs a weight goal.
    15% or less? I thought the healthy range for women was something like 20-25%. Is that wrong?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm "happy with my weight" because I got to a point where I don't want to be any smaller or any bigger. I'm not happy with my body composition or how it looks naked, but I have accepted that it is what it is because at this point I'm not willing to do what it would take to change those.

Too bad more people aren't that honest and frank in their self-appraisal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about a particular number...that's not what's going to make me happy or not happy...it's completely arbitrary. I'm pretty happy with the way I look and my body composition when I'm in the 175 - 180 range because I look lean and fit.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    No, and I'm not overweight. But I am less obsessed/miserable/preoccupied than I am when I weigh more. So I guess it's a spectrum.

The things about my appearance I have zero insecurity about don't make me "happy" either...I just don't think about my hair or my eyes or other things that have worked out well for me. I don't think I've ever once looked in the mirror and thought, "Yay, look at that hair!" I've just NOT thought, "I hate my hair.: