Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Great - another thread where the OP makes a decision for their life and everyone loses their mind cos he wants to eat something with less calories than bread. Bread is high calorie - if I gave yo $100 to last you the week, you wouldn't spend $50 on the first day.
    Alternatives are salads such as bean salad or beetroot salad. Certain wraps are lower in calories

He didn't ask for something with fewer calories than bread. He stated
    bread - even delicious multigrain lovely bread - is pretty bad when trying to lose weight.

which, on its own, is false, as is the statement that bread is high calorie. I can go to most grocery stores and find bread that is from 35-60 calories per slice, which most men can fit into their daily calorie budgets. If he doesn't want to, that is fine, but addressing the false notion that bread is a no-no when cutting calories should be expected.

The OP also said a quick take to work lunch. I assumed he meant he goes to the local shop like most city workers do and grab a ready made sandwich - in which case you would agree. Sure, go and find a low cal bread and make your own sandwiches - if that was an option I'd agree. A pre pack sandwich is generally high calorie

I get what you're saying-I think most of us are reading it as he's packing his lunches at home though. OP, can you clarify-are you preparing your lunches at home or are you buying your food out?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Great - another thread where the OP makes a decision for their life and everyone loses their mind cos he wants to eat something with less calories than bread. Bread is high calorie - if I gave yo $100 to last you the week, you wouldn't spend $50 on the first day.
    Alternatives are salads such as bean salad or beetroot salad. Certain wraps are lower in calories

He didn't ask for something with fewer calories than bread. He stated
    bread - even delicious multigrain lovely bread - is pretty bad when trying to lose weight.

which, on its own, is false, as is the statement that bread is high calorie. I can go to most grocery stores and find bread that is from 35-60 calories per slice, which most men can fit into their daily calorie budgets. If he doesn't want to, that is fine, but addressing the false notion that bread is a no-no when cutting calories should be expected.

The OP also said a quick take to work lunch. I assumed he meant he goes to the local shop like most city workers do and grab a ready made sandwich - in which case you would agree. Sure, go and find a low cal bread and make your own sandwiches - if that was an option I'd agree. A pre pack sandwich is generally high calorie

Perhaps there is a language barrier. I consider a take to work lunch a lunch that is taken to work from home. Going to a shop to get a sandwich is going out to get something for lunch.
  • FatChickToNotSoFatChick
    Options
    Aldi has a bread that's 45 calories a slice, you could try making open face sandwiches to cut down too. I eat bread (even regular white bread) and pasta and I'm down 30 pounds already, I just make sure it's within my calorie goal
  • alexismoham
    alexismoham Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get into why you chose not to eat carbs, that's none of my business. :)
    I can suggest, sprouted bread as such for dieting. Sometimes I'll swap out 2 pieces of bread for a couple crackers. Also Lettuce Wraps are a cool alternative.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of wraps for sandwiches, and also I'll eat crackers and make mini sandwiches! But bread is my true love <3 you could try making your own bread out of wheat alternatives, but there are plenty of low cal breads out there as already stated. One of the times I lost a ton of weight my regular lunch included a sandwich with limited mayo and cheese, but as many veggies and meat as I wanted (and a cup of lo-sodium brothy soup)
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I make lettuce wraps or toast an English muffin and add my sandwich makings. I rather eat my calories in extra cheese and meat than in bread. However, I do indulge on occasion with hot from the oven homemade bread or my homemade buttery drop biscuits (at 100 calories a pop - yikes!) ...
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like Amy brand frozen meals and bring extra frozen veggies and a container of fat free plain yogurt. Hummus and raw veggies is also great.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee makes a line of delicious 45 calorie breads (90 calories for two slices), if you wanted to make a lower calorie sandwich. I buy the multi-grain and it's really good! I also love the Xtreme Wellness wraps. They make whole wheat, tomato basil, and spinach and herb ones that are all 50 calories.

Chicken salad and tuna salad sandwich stuffing is good on its own. I'll take a serving and a half of it with some cottage cheese and baby carrots.

Ham/turkey/deli meat slices rolled with a slice of cheese is good, as well.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I either have half a round of sandwiches (1 slice of bread) with a lot of fruit and veg, or something else entirely. I like making potato salad (vinaigrette, not mayo) and putting it on a little bed of lettuce with something like cooked chicken or smoked fish on top, or slices of leftover eg veggie burger, meatballs, breaded chicken and so on. I then have a lot of fruit and veg along with it, and a small treat, like a mini muffin. I know potato salad (or pasta salad or couscous or whatever) take time to make, but you can make a batch at the beginning of the week. I have a handy compartment lunch box that works well for this sort of thing.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Instead of lettuce I like chard- sturdy and flexible and a little salty. Or just make a chopped salad -everything chopped in bowl + dressing = tasty
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    eating bread makes my body composition go soft and "fluffy".i eat rice cakes and ryvita light and crispy crackers for everything now I would use bread for, just open face style( eggs,meat,tuna,peanut butter,with a salad etc.)_haven't had any issues.i actually enjoy them a lot.
  • laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find that bread has being my salvation.......Without it I wouldn't succeeded, I make fresh crusty and super yummy bread roll that keeps me full and satisfy me, about 450 to 500 calories and if at 65 and petite at 5.4 without exercising and sedentary life style lost 30 pounds in 5 months.....anyone else can too.....forget all the Mambo jumbo about carbs versus proteins, have a balanced diet and follow the ratio of MFP....its a lifestyle I can keep for the rest of my life.....
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bread isn't bad for losing weight. Eating to many calories is. A tasty bread with fiber and whole grains is lovely. I eat a couple of slices a day.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    We cleaned up this discussion a bit to keep it from jumping the shark. Thanks to everyone who is answering the OP's questions!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I cut back on bread because it adds a lot of calories. I like to use low carb wraps or sandwich thins when I want a portable sandwich-type meal because they are fewer cals. You can make a sandwich using only one slice of bread. Or look for thin sliced bread, Daves has a great thin sliced multigrain sandwich bread.