what made you realize, " okay , I need to loose weight?"

Options
13»

Replies

• mdsalisbury
    mdsalisbury Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A couple of things - I caught a reflection of a fat old man in the window, realized it was me. Took my kids to the amusement park and couldn't fit into the roller coaster seat, had to let my then 13 yr old daughter ride it alone while I walked back past the line of people to the end of the ride. Stepped on a scale and realized that at 6'-1" and 330lb that I WAS twice the man I'd been in College, but not in a good way. Walked up the flight of steps that I used to be able to take 2 at a time, and was flat out of breath 1/2-way up.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Honestly not sure....Was like a switch flipped overnight....Absolutely everything in my life changed course all at once XD
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I was having terrible back and hip pain. I got out of breath very easily and I couldn't keep up with my fit husband anymore. I was sick of shopping in the plus size clothing section, trying to find anything flattering was a huge chore. I also want to have a baby and I have fertility issues that are made worse by being overweight.

Plus my husband and I moved 2500 miles away from home for his job and I needed something to focus on besides the crippling homesickness. I made losing weight my job and so far I've lost just shy of 65 lbs and I've been logging here for almost 500 days. I am really close to a normal BMI now.
  • btrsun10
    btrsun10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My back had been killing me, my bras were so tight but I did not want to spend money on new underwear when I have drawers full of good, nice stuff.
    I went to a BBQ at my boss's house. We were sitting on the veranda with a glass enclosure. I glanced in the glass and saw my reflection except it was not me looking back. I did not recognise that person, I was shocked and very very upset. My head morphed into my shoulders....I had no neck. My stomach was spilling over my trousers. I was so uncomfortable.
    I went home and cried but the next day started logging on here.
    Best wake up call ever.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I was over 200lbs and over the 10s (into the 220s) which is bigger than I had ever been - even while pregnant.
  • kellansmommy11
    kellansmommy11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was at a routine doctor appointment and they weighed me like they always do. I was shocked at the number on the scale. It was the highest number I'd ever been. I decided that I was done. So later that day I came on this app and started my journey. That was six months and 38 pounds ago. I still have away to go to hit my goal weight, but I'm getting there! I see progress all the time. And I feel better.
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had a back pain issue and was diagnosed with Sciatica. The only thing that helps me is exercise and weight loss. I have to do it for my health. I have been one of those people that was fat but what I considered healthy. Perfect blood work, could still play sports and never had any blood pressure issues then this happened.
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Saw an awful picture of myself in April. Renewed my use of MFP. Was starting to lose weight when I got sick and spent 3 days in the ICU. I found out I'm a Type I diabetic. Getting my sugar under control and counting carbs, I'm 35# lighter than I was in April!
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I've been obese since age 7, so, I've just always tried. But my slaps in the face have been:

When I was 7 and too heavy (100lbs+) to play in a bouncehouse with my friends
    When I was 8, my mom tucked me in, I pretended to be asleep and she complained that my face was so round
    When I was 12 and looked at my pants size for the first time: 18 Plus
    When I was 17 and ate 3 entrees at Planet Hollywood
    When I was 21 and realized I was eating 5 microwave personal pizzas a day
    When I was 25 and my boyfriend said he couldn't love me unless I were thinner (I was a sz14)
    When I was 27 and broke up with that boyfriend and said I'd attract a better man
    When I was 30 and couldn't fit into my favorite rides at the theme park anymore
    When I was 31 and still in love with my ex and had never attracted another man....

That last one is this year. It's a huge motivator, I'm desperately single, and I don't want to be with someone who is complacent with our health- I want to model what I want in a partner. I also was diagnosed with RA and OA, and I don't want it to get worse.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I do living history and re-enactments and all of my historical clothes starting getting too tight. I sew all of them myself and really didn't want to have to make a whole new historical wardrobe since I'd already invested a lot of time and money in what I had. The last straw was going to a re-enactment and my corset almost didn't fit. I started on MFP the next day. I've lost 41 lbs. since then and now I do need a new historical wardrobe but it's because everything is too big! I'm trying to make do with altering what I have though since I still have at least 20 lbs. to lose.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Being put on blood pressure medicine did it for me. I've been released from the medication since last summer, and still have normal blood pressure at my current weight so that's a win!
  • dmwh142
    dmwh142 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    After I turned 50 my doctor sent me to get a bone density analysis done. That revealed my BMI was to high and I couldn't blame it on my "Big Bones". My son was already doing MFP and that helped encourage me. MFP helped me more than any other thing I had tried.
  • dhockenberry1980
    Options
    I used to be a personal trainer, was super fit, no health issues... and then I changed jobs. Over the years I got married had kids, and know am having health issues. I few months ago when I was having trouble putting my socks on our playing with the kids, and hated the way I look, I decided enough is enough
  • jbtaylor892
    jbtaylor892 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me it's seeing how active and athletic my 3 year old daughter is. I'm only 24 but I've gained about 75 lbs since she was born. I just don't want her growing up with a dad that's over weight and thinking that it's ok to not take care of yourself. I've not been at it long but I definitely feel healthier and more energetic!
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It was more about being ready to love myself enough to allow it to happen and to stop self-sabotaging. I got real with myself.
  • Cashley12
    Cashley12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me, it was getting dressed for important events and thinking I looked fine. Whereas in reality, I looked a lot heavier and shaped differently than what I used to be. It hit me hard because for the longest time a lot of people told me I still looked fine when I gained weight so I had stopped worrying until 6 months ago when I hit 200 lbs and it really started to show on my small frame and people kept asking me how did I gain so much at a weeding I attended.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I could feel back rolls starting to develop. Also a bit of a double chin. NAAAH.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Lost my mom to diabetes. Watched her take her last breath in my arms and that was my wake up call, I was morbidly obese at the time and more than likely heading down the same path. I guess in a way this was a case where triumph and happiness came through tragedy and pain.