2 much water?

Options
I have a silly question! Can you drink to much water?

Replies

• RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it'd be a bit difficult under day to day activities. If for example you are working out in the heat for a couple hours and just drinking water...you could drink too much water. Other time for concern, if you drink more than a liter in an hour. If your urine still has at least some color to it you should be fine.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    yes you can :) but very very hard to achieve
  • brandiyund
    brandiyund Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yup it's called water intoxication....you get crazier than cat **** .....messes with your sodium levels...
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    it is possible but incredibly hard. That being said my sister HAS when she was pregnant and her electrolytes were so unblanced she had to take supplements. It would be incredibly hard to do, she was interpretting outside in AZ heat and drank almost 2 gallons in less then 2 hours
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's usually the result of water drinking contests and can result in death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • teshaerwin
    teshaerwin Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I am on 192oz today and counting......Is that OK?
  • jpeper1966
    jpeper1966 Posts: 79
    Options
    For someone your size I would say it is a little extreme. It is hard on your kidneys which have to remove all of that extra water from your system. Along with all of that extra water are vital electrolytes being flushed out needlessly.

Look up hyponatremia.

Is there a reason that you are drinking that much water?
  • teshaerwin
    teshaerwin Posts: 42
    Options
    For someone your size I would say it is a little extreme. It is hard on your kidneys which have to remove all of that extra water from your system. Along with all of that extra water are vital electrolytes being flushed out needlessly.

Look up hyponatremia.

Is there a reason that you are drinking that much water?

Not really a reason other then it keeps me full and I thought the more water the better. I will definitely scale back! thanks :)
  • kerrymkier
    kerrymkier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are over exerting yourself in the heat gulping down large quantities can mess up your electrolytes. Drink half water and half gatorade.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    If you are over exerting yourself in the heat gulping down large quantities can mess up your electrolytes. Drink half water and half gatorade.

If your diet is right, it doesn't matter. Electrolytes are in the food you eat. I haven't had a gatorade in 8 months and I'm fine. I only drink water.
  • Crimson_Lotus
    Options
    I was told that the best way to figure out how much water you need to drink is to take your weight, divide it in half, and that's how many ounces. Is that true?

Celeste
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I was told that the best way to figure out how much water you need to drink is to take your weight, divide it in half, and that's how many ounces. Is that true?

Celeste

Thats close to accurate yea. I drink a little over a gallon of water a day. I'm 5'8 and 195lbs.
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a lot about the effects of drinking water on weight loss and I read in several places that 8oz a day is a basic guideline and that for every 25 pounds you are overweight (I'm assusuming this is over your "ideal weight") you should add an extra glass and also drink during/after exercise.
  • kerrymkier
    kerrymkier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who after playing several games of tennis in extreme heat conditions drank a whole lot of water and ended up in the emergency room. The doctor told her to it would have been best to have had some gatorade or other electrolyte formula mixed with the water. I agree under normal conditions that just water is all you need.