Is it just me?

Options
Is it just me or does anyone else think that eating regular foods but staying under your daily calories won't shift weight?

Replies

• MrTru007
    MrTru007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the amount of exercise you pit into it.. Because im eating regular foods.. And... Im doing fine..
  • MrTru007
    MrTru007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Put* lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    kellyogda wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that eating regular foods but staying under your daily calories won't shift weight?

Unfortunately, no, it's not just you.

Fortunately, you and those that think like that are entirely incorrect, as has been proven for years and years and years.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've been eating "regular foods" the whole time, just fewer calories. My body needs approximately 2200 calories to maintain my current weight. Anything I eat that keeps my calorie count under 2200 will cause weight loss. My daily target is 1960 calories per day. I have chocolate or ice cream every night, pizza on occasion, a cheeseburger here and there...still losing weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What constitutes "regular" food?
  • kellyogda
    kellyogda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Errrrm.... well today I hade weetabix
    With berries and milk fruit as snacks a micro sweet chilli chicken noddles and cheese and potato pie along with 2 glasses of white wine... I just feel like it because I've tried every crash diet possible lol (quick fixes)
  • kellyogda
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Down 72 pounds eating regular foods, counting my calories, and without a lot of exercise beside walking.

What foods do you eat daily ? :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What is regular food? Like not diet food?

I will admit, despite being a flexible dieter and eating all the things.. when I was losing a few months ago, I would eat something like ice cream at night and those old ways of dieting thoughts come back.. "oh man I probably should have had something healthier, there goes my progress". But then I remember years ago while I was eating all that "diet food" I wasn't making very much progress compared to now, so I snap back out of it pretty quickly!
  • kellyogda
    Options
    I've counted everything too and still under my calories
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kellyogda wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Errrrm.... well today I hade weetabix
    With berries and milk fruit as snacks a micro sweet chilli chicken noddles and cheese and potato pie along with 2 glasses of white wine... I just feel like it because I've tried every crash diet possible lol (quick fixes)

Crash diets usually require you to eat specific foods that are supposed to make you lose weight faster. If you have done every crash diet possible and they haven't worked, it seems like a logical conclusion would be that special foods don't lead to weight loss.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i have a bowl of cereal every night before bed - and in the 3 weeks since i started tracking consistently, i'm down 3lbs

IMHO, the diet industry focuses on the idea of deprivation and you can't eat this because it will "make you fat" but if you look at things like the professors who did both the twinkie and mcdonald diet's while staying under their required calories and losing weight, it kind of blows those theories out of the water
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My dad always said "it's not what you eat it's how much of it" so, it's taken me years to really accept that. After including tons of healthy foods, adding chia and hemp and protein and cacao and blah blah blah, none of it worked. Eating Subway, Burger King, and homemade grub has worked - it's truly all in moderation.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    MrTru007 wrote: »
    It really depends on the amount of exercise you pit into it.. Because im eating regular foods.. And... Im doing fine..

Not really. You can do zero exercise and still lose weight. I mean, it's great for overall health and being able to eat more but is in no way essential to weight loss.

I eat all the things. During my 56lbs and counting loss I have eaten McDonalds, pizza, a lot of fries, a LOT of chocolate, some ice cream, that glorious PB&J milkshake on holiday, some booze, bread, pasta, white rice. All the things we're led to believe are devil foods.

I just eat within my calories the vast majority of the time (so yes, sometimes I go over). Yay science!
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    What is a PB&J milkshake ?
  • Hungry_Angler
    Hungry_Angler Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've eaten clean and I've eaten "dirty". I prefer dirty...but in moderation. It's the moderation that gets me. That said, when I'm practicing clean eating, I tend to feel like I'm fueled better and have hit some of my best PRs.

At the end of the day, I've lost weight both ways. Since I'm just starting out again, I'll be doing a IIFYM type deal but will eventually clean up my diet until I get back to a point where I can handle the IIFYM.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I get how you feel - when I initially started the weight loss thing, I was drinking expensive green tea, avoiding fast food like the plague, and never eating dessert... And it didn't really get me anywhere. Then I figured out how this really works, and I lost 30 lbs while baking brownies once a week and consuming a lot of wine. Of course, this was balanced out with plenty of chicken breast and salads, but no food I truly loved went uneaten while I was losing weight. I just ate less of it, and less frequently.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    What is a PB&J milkshake ?

Peanut butter and jelly......