Feeling Crappy after Eating Healthy

Options
Hi - I'm on Day 3 of eating very clean and healthy. No sugar, high veggies and protein. I've got a dull headache, somewhat nauseous, and felt shaky last night.

I'm sure my body is just crashing from the sugar and processed food addiction, and I've read it can take a week or more for your body to adjust...but I'm just looking for some encouragement that others out there have felt crummy after starting to eat healthy!

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? As in how many calories? You might be undereating.

When I eat "healthy" (read: more fruit and veg, fewer biscuits, cakes, crisps) it makes me feel better, not worse. But eating too little makes me feel the way you describe.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    by 'no sugar' do you mean no processed sugar (e.g. sugar in coffee, candy or soda)?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing as Jane. If you cut caffeine then that is the most likely culprit. And if you are not eating enough calories then that could also cause you to feel weak and just not good. FWIW, I lost weight by reducing my calorie intake. I didn't give up any of the foods I liked in order to lose weight.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You posted this same question already, so I'll ask again-is there a medical reason why you're eliminating sugar and making such drastic changes to what you're eating?
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    It took me about 2 weeks to fully adjust to the changes I made in my diet.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    It took me about 2 weeks to fully adjust to the changes I made in my diet.

Same here, but hunger was my main issue - I don't recognise the general malaise and misery the OP describes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

Also, sounds a bit like low carb "flu"...there's lots of healthy "clean" carbs out there and more to healthy eating than just veggies.
  • akmomof7
    akmomof7 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a reaction to drastically cutting carbs. If you weren't looking to go low carb, add back in some beans, dairy products, fruits, starchy vegetables and whole grains. No need to cut out any particular food to eat "healthy ".
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    When I did Atkins, the first week was always hardest, then I got used to not eating sugar and didn't really miss it. On the forum people talked about the low carb flu. It does pass. If you are getting enough calories, making sure you drink enough water and are sleeping, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I felt weak and shaky for a bit i added potatoes to my diet and it helped a ton. Not sure if it was a certain nutrient lacking or low carbs but i felt horrid. Try adding everythign back and taking smaller baby steps maybe. Lower sugar, If that feels fine lower carbs. See what the culprit is.

Or you could...you know...CICO. Eat everything just less of it. What most people here preach :P Generally avoids deficiencies if you do it smartly. Your body needs fats and carbs.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Are you getting sugar from things like fruits and vegetables? How many calories are you taking in?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You can't get addicted to sugar, and processed food is a vague term. Maybe you are imagining this, expecting to feel bad from what you have read? Or maybe you are getting sick, a virus or something. Because eating healthily doesn't make you feel sick. Eating clean means nothing. Not eating sugar means not eating fruit, vegetables or dairy, so this doesn't make sense. Are you eating enough? Have you reduced calorie intake - by how much? Have you cut down on caffeine? Have you replaced soda with - nothing?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat entirely 'clean' or 'healthy'. Personally, for me, I prefer the 80/20 'rule' loosely, as in, I mostly have nutritious foods to make my macros then enjoy the rest with my favorite treats/foods. I restarted eating at a deficit around 2 weeks ago after a loooooong maintenance break and didn't feel crappy at all.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    @elenjay140 You got some answers on yesterday's thread about this same topic and some questions that might help. You haven't come back to either thread as far as I can see. I truly hope that you figure out what's going on and find a way to move forward with this, but people here cannot help you if you won't let them.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    elenjay140 wrote: »
    Hi - I'm on Day 3 of eating very clean and healthy. No sugar, high veggies and protein. I've got a dull headache, somewhat nauseous, and felt shaky last night.

I'm sure my body is just crashing from the sugar and processed food addiction, and I've read it can take a week or more for your body to adjust...but I'm just looking for some encouragement that others out there have felt crummy after starting to eat healthy!

I've tried eating like that in the past and each time I felt exactly what you're describing. For me, although the headaches passed, I never got my energy back and I always felt bad about not being able to eat the foods that I actually wanted to eat. The only thing I've ever been able to stick to was eating foods I loved, but being in a calorie deficit. I found that it wasn't the food that was making me feel bad, it was the amount of which I was eating and the feeling of not being able to control myself.

With that said, there are many people here who cut out certain foods (as a lifestyle - you're planning on eating this way indefinitely, correct?) and are very happy and successful. They report feeling just fine and say they have more energy than ever.

ETA: I wish you the best with your plan and hope you feel better!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    What do you net carbs look like in the nutrition tab? If you are unintentionally eating at keto levels and not minding your electrolytes this could be keto flu as well
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This too shall pass....
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Its called the hangover period... I've done two rounds of whole30, and days 2-4 just sucks. It will pass. If you feel lightheaded and weak maybe up your carbs, have some sweet potatoes or bananas or other fruit, it should help
  • elenjay140
    elenjay140 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you reduced/eliminated caffeine? Sometimes withdrawal from caffeine can cause symptoms like this.

How many calories are you getting per day? I sometimes feel sick and shaky when my calories go too low.

Let my preface by saying that I do feel much better today. It might have just been a day of being tired from the Thanksgiving holiday.

That being said, I usually only have one cup of black tea each morning. I'm not a coffee drinker. I know black tea has caffeine, but I didn't cut out my one cup in the morning, so I don't think that's the culprit.

My calorie goal is 1250.