What have you changed/What did you do to get you started?

Options
xmarye
xmarye Posts: 385 Member
Things I changed/changed my mindset about that helped me get started:

* I had to change my diary setting to private because I was starting to stress out about whatever went into it thinking about the fact I didn't want other people to judge (not that anyone has said or done anything, it's really just myself worrying over nothing, friends!). I have changed it this morning and already I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I am doing it for me and no one else!

* I have decided to keep eating the same meals as I usually would, just in smaller portions. The fact that I have decided not to cut off carbs AT ALL will help me tremendously I think (used to do LCHF and it kinda made me scared to eat any carbs). It's also a more sustainable diet that way anyway.

* I have finally settled on 1800cals as my calorie goal. I was also confused about my calorie goal since I didn't want to lose my milk supply, which is really good right now. I have read that 1500-1800cals was fine while BF, so I will start at the higher end and adjust from there.

* I am focusing on things I want to eat instead of things I don't want to eat anymore (things I have trouble controlling myself around right now) and trying to have healthy options on hand ready to go! I would always finish up a whole cookie box or bag of chips or tub of ice cream... even boxes of donuts! :# So I found sweet and salty options that are low calories, so I can eat big quantities for less calories.

* For now, I am decided on drinking mainly water to cut off lots of calories, since I used to drink 3-5 cans of Pepsi a day. Maybe I will indulge at some point but for now I am trying to wean myself off of it (I never used to drink pop until I met my husband)

I won't aim to be perfect, just changing things as I go. I'm really hoping this time I can stick to it. I have been telling myself I look good for 185lbs, and that my weight gain doesn't show that much, but I saw pictures from a baby shower I attended a couple weeks ago and... yeah it wasn't pretty.

What are the mental blocks you've have to overcome and how did you go about it? What strategies have you implemented/what lifestyle changes did you commit to in order to see result? What has worked and what would you do differently? Thanks ahead oxox

Replies

• jbtaylor892
    jbtaylor892 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had to realize that I don't have to completely get rid of everything I normally eat; Like you said, smaller portions. I also make sure to substitute things for healthier options when I can. Carrots instead of chips. I've tried making big drastic changes but it never lasts so I think just being smart about what I eat and combining that with regular exercise is making a big difference. Honestly, the biggest thing I've changed is just keeping track of my calorie intake. It's annoying and time consuming to start with but understanding what is going into my body has made a big difference in keeping me on track.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    xmarye wrote: »

* I had to change my diary setting to private because I was starting to stress out about whatever went into it thinking about the fact I didn't want other people to judge (not that anyone has said or done anything, it's really just myself worrying over nothing, friends!). I have changed it this morning and already I feel like a huge weight has been lifted. I am doing it for me and no one else!

* I have decided to keep eating the same meals as I usually would, just in smaller portions. The fact that I have decided not to cut off carbs AT ALL will help me tremendously I think (used to do LCHF and it kinda made me scared to eat any carbs). It's also a more sustainable diet that way anyway.

* I have finally settled on 1800cals as my calorie goal. I was also confused about my calorie goal since I didn't want to lose my milk supply, which is really good right now. I have read that 1500-1800cals was fine while BF, so I will start at the higher end and adjust from there.

* I am focusing on things I want to eat instead of things I don't want to eat anymore (things I have trouble controlling myself around right now) and trying to have healthy options on hand ready to go! I would always finish up a whole cookie box or bag of chips or tub of ice cream... even boxes of donuts! :# So I found sweet and salty options that are low calories, so I can eat big quantities for less calories.

* For now, I am decided on drinking mainly water to cut off lots of calories, since I used to drink 3-5 cans of Pepsi a day. Maybe I will indulge at some point but for now I am trying to wean myself off of it (I never used to drink pop until I met my husband)

I won't aim to be perfect, just changing things as I go. I'm really hoping this time I can stick to it. I have been telling myself I look good for 185lbs, and that my weight gain doesn't show that much, but I saw pictures from a baby shower I attended a couple weeks ago and... yeah it wasn't pretty.

What are the mental blocks you've have to overcome and how did you go about it? What strategies have you implemented/what lifestyle changes did you commit to in order to see result? What has worked and what would you do differently? Thanks ahead oxox

So much good stuff in this tread so far. And I really really like your plan. It also is scarily similar to things I used to do and your solutions are very similar to what I've since implemented.

And I particularly applaud taking your milk supply into consideration and going with 1800 or even higher to start, something a lot of new moms seem to initially ignore.

Only thing I will add as a suggestion is using a trending weight app or web site so that you can look at your longer term weight level change as opposed to just your daily weight fluctuations.
  • xmarye
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

So much good stuff in this tread so far. And I really really like your plan. It also is scarily similar to things I used to do and your solutions are very similar to what I've since implemented.

And I particularly applaud taking your milk supply into consideration and going with 1800 or even higher to start, something a lot of new moms seem to initially ignore.

Only thing I will add as a suggestion is using a trending weight app or web site so that you can look at your longer term weight level change as opposed to just your daily weight fluctuations.

That's a great idea. I was meaning to become more accurate with logging my weight anyway, any you would suggest @PAV8888 ?
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar approach / mindset as you.

* I chose to open my diary setting as public. At first, I kept it under lock and key. I didn't feel I could keep myself accountable because no one could see it. I decided to open it up for that reason. I wanted my friends to 'call me out' if I was being 'bad' or send a heartfelt congratulations if I had an especially great day.

* My 'diet' includes everything. No food (or beverage) is off limits. As long as it fits within my daily calories, it's fair game. I enjoy too many things to cut it. It's not realistic to avoid 'x', 'y', and 'z' because it will only lead to binge eating.

* Positive self-talk helps. If I say, "I can; I will", I do. If I say, "I think I can; I don't know if I will", then I won't. I used to always say the latter. Now, I say the former. :)

*Fast food was basically a staple in my diet. We still eat out, but I don't stop by and grab breakfast every single morning on my way to work. This was a hard habit to break because it was super convenient! I found a hot breakfast that is easy to prepare and practically no prep.

*I focus on foods (and beverages) I like. I try to get the most 'bang for my buck' with some low-cal foods, so I can enjoy a few higher-cal foods. I'm a salty potato chips kind of girl, a beer, wine, or spirits drinking kind of girl. So, I go lighter on breakfast and lunch by making sure I have plenty of protein on board to keep me full. I also don't invest much in snacks (~10-15% of my total cals).

*I use the food notes section to document weights (that aren't on my WI day), emotions, what worked/didn't work, what kept me full, what was a waste of calories, etc. It's short and sweet usually but it's nice to look back so I don't make the same mistakes.

Good luck!
  • xmarye
    Options
    cocates wrote: »
    I have a very similar approach / mindset as you.

* I chose to open my diary setting as public. At first, I kept it under lock and key. I didn't feel I could keep myself accountable because no one could see it. I decided to open it up for that reason. I wanted my friends to 'call me out' if I was being 'bad' or send a heartfelt congratulations if I had an especially great day.

* My 'diet' includes everything. No food (or beverage) is off limits. As long as it fits within my daily calories, it's fair game. I enjoy too many things to cut it. It's not realistic to avoid 'x', 'y', and 'z' because it will only lead to binge eating.

* Positive self-talk helps. If I say, "I can; I will", I do. If I say, "I think I can; I don't know if I will", then I won't. I used to always say the latter. Now, I say the former. :)

*Fast food was basically a staple in my diet. We still eat out, but I don't stop by and grab breakfast every single morning on my way to work. This was a hard habit to break because it was super convenient! I found a hot breakfast that is easy to prepare and practically no prep.

*I focus on foods (and beverages) I like. I try to get the most 'bang for my buck' with some low-cal foods, so I can enjoy a few higher-cal foods. I'm a salty potato chips kind of girl, a beer, wine, or spirits drinking kind of girl. So, I go lighter on breakfast and lunch by making sure I have plenty of protein on board to keep me full. I also don't invest much in snacks (~10-15% of my total cals).

*I use the food notes section to document weights (that aren't on my WI day), emotions, what worked/didn't work, what kept me full, what was a waste of calories, etc. It's short and sweet usually but it's nice to look back so I don't make the same mistakes.

Good luck!

We do share a lot when it comes to weight loss!

I also just might start with the Notes section too! Thanks for the tip :) Also the positive self-talk, gotta do it more lol.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That's a great idea. I was meaning to become more accurate with logging my weight anyway, any you would suggest @PAV8888 ?

Libra for Android; Happy Scale for Iphone.

Weightgrapher.com for manual entry, supported scale, or fitbit.com account. Allows you to superimpose your graph from (a user selectable) 28 days ago to more directly compare the same time period in your cycle. if using WG, I suggest you tell it that you want to "maintain" your current weight in order to avoid annoying programmatic suggestions

And the one I use which is trendweight.com <-- it is easiest to use in conjunction with a free/freely available without a band fitbit.com account, or a supported scale, no manual entry available other than through the fitbit.com account.

You can automatically connect fitbit to both weightgrapher and trendweight and mfp and with a single entry of your weight push it to all three.

Suggestions re: weigh in: same time of day after using the washroom and before eating or drinking, wearing the same clothes, or none, using an un-yielding piece of floor, with relatively fresh batteries in your scale.

Be aware that many scales exhibit fake consistency (weight yourself with and without 4, 6, 8oz of water in a measuring cup... see what the range is where your scale doesn't change). Re-setting the scale sometimes gets you a "clean" measurement.

Weight fluctuations are normal and often beyond our control. Time of month, new or additional exercise. Sodium in food. Weight loss also doesn't happen on a daily basis especially if you're only keeping an appropriate, as opposed to excessive, deficit. Over time, however, our trendline does show what is happening with our underlying weight level!

Take it easy... don't overdo the deficits... enjoy the baby and be persistent in pursuing a healthy you!
  • xmarye
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks @PAV8888 :smiley: Great advice. I got Libra and it's pretty cool so far.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I’ve stopped weighing myself everyday and have two outfits (a dress and a pair of jeans) that are now my guide. I had to change my mindset from wanting to lose weight to being healthy and fit as possible. As a result I enjoy working out more now and am working on better eating. I had to take the pressure of myself.
  • xmarye
    Options
    Grnhouse wrote: »
    I’ve stopped weighing myself everyday and have two outfits (a dress and a pair of jeans) that are now my guide. I had to change my mindset from wanting to lose weight to being healthy and fit as possible. As a result I enjoy working out more now and am working on better eating. I had to take the pressure of myself.

Totally make sense! I am already adjusting meals and changing things I wanted to try to things I would usually eat naturally, just in more modest portions. I do push myself to try different things, but for the most part I eat what I feel like eating and I'm surprised to see it is pretty easy to hit my macros. I guess the body knows what it wants!
  • m0niqueee
    m0niqueee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I found healthy options that I enjoy, different alternatives to my favorite foods and they are much lower in calories and keep me full for longer. I'm mainly eating things that can be found in nature so no processed foods and I'm trying to keep up my step goals with my Fitbit ! Good luck (: let me know if you ever need some motivation
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that have said demonizing a food isn't good. In my years, something has always been identified as a food to be avoided. I remember when it was eggs! It has been meat, eggs, fat, carbs, sugar. A healthy balance is important and we all need to allow ourselves some room for a treat here and there too. We need a plan we can live with.
  • xmarye
    Options
    Ann262 wrote: »
    I agree with those that have said demonizing a food isn't good. In my years, something has always been identified as a food to be avoided. I remember when it was eggs! It has been meat, eggs, fat, carbs, sugar. A healthy balance is important and we all need to allow ourselves some room for a treat here and there too. We need a plan we can live with.

Well, I have found that with my experience doing LCHF 2 years ago, I basically used this as a way to avoid dealing with my self-control around food. Now, I thought I would cut straight to the problem and practice moderation from the beginning! Hoping this will be the key factor in reaching my goal and maintaining thereafter! :)
  • xmarye
    Options
    I found healthy options that I enjoy, different alternatives to my favorite foods and they are much lower in calories and keep me full for longer. I'm mainly eating things that can be found in nature so no processed foods and I'm trying to keep up my step goals with my Fitbit ! Good luck (: let me know if you ever need some motivation

I do agree that finding low calorie options help by providing with bigger volume of foods, therefore helping in feeling satisfied, which ultimately helps sticking to your diet! For me, I thought it'd be easier to stick to what I usually eat, and incorporate healthier things. Of course, there is no room for a box of donuts in my diet, but I can have my pasta and cookies, I just don't have cookies everyday, and when I do I stick to the portion size.
  • bxckground
    bxckground Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can relate to all of these
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    When I started I put a lot of thought into what my life was like when I was at my happiest and thinnest.I figured there will be lessons to be learned from that
    Firstly I learned that if I log in whatever from I eat less - That is how I got onto MFP.
    I also learned that during those times I was always busy, and moreover always had something (but not food) in my hands. So I took up some of my hand binding hobbies (sewing/knitting/reading) I learned that I did not have time to sit in front of the TV (and ow internet) much.
    I drank water, lots and lots of water and lots and lots of tea
    I love food, just not that much of it. Portion control was key. I never ever believed in cutting out anything. Just never made any sense to me.
    So those were my starting points.

Then there is MFP
    On MFP I quickly found that the default set up would not work for me. I quickly decided to work on a calorie goal which is the TDEE of my goal weight. Knowing full well that loss would taper off as I approached it. It takes the anxiety off it for me on logging over or under with exercise. My TDEE is exactly where from memory I always was if in shape.
    I have learned that I love treats, for instance an amazing desserts. But also I love them because they are rare treats not daily occurrences. I am able to look very much forward to such a treat, enjoy it and then hang on to the feeling. That way I live on them for a long time and they give me joy in anticipation and memory.
    For instance on Saturday we'll have friends over; my husband will make his amazing Persian Icecream For the last two weeks I have been happy already about that. I will enjoy it and it will happily linger until christmas (when he will make it again.
    I am a natural logger and analyser. Just in my genes So it makes sense to log my progress and make a nice graph out of it. Love that I have so many data now that I can really see what changes I have made over the few years

Over my MFP time I have learned a lot from other users and they inspired me to look at new things - weight training but also new foods and many many thoughts and friends. So I guess one of the changes has also been becoming part of a community that cares and is as in to health as I am
  • WW1984
    WW1984 Posts: 145 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Like many of you, I had to change my mindset! My motto about food now is "EAT TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO EAT". I'm 46 years old at 4'11" and my weight loss journey is as follows:

SW 145.6 lbs on 9/17/2016
    CW 128.4 lbs as of 12/4/2016
    UW 105 lbs by 2/20/2017 but will settle for 112 lbs by that date and will continue to work towards my UW goal.

MY STRUGGLE IS REAL!!! But since changing my mindset, MFP has become an obsession for me when tracking my meals and macros. Although I meet, exceed or don't meet some of my macros; I'm still losing an average of 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. Consequently, my weight loss has been slow and steady which is the best way. Replacing coffee to include cream and sugar with oolong and green tea (+ 1 tbs honey & lemon juice) has helped a lot as well as following this simple and most effective rule: 80% Clean Diet + 20% Exercise = WEIGHT LOSS!

Last, I've learned that there are no shortcuts! Creating a calorie deficit (through moderate calorie restriction and increase in physical activity) is the only way to lose weight. Any plan that does not require sacrifice is unrealistic and leads to failure.

:)<3