too much protein?

Options
is it bad when you go over in your protein when i log my foods? I work out and everything but i always seem to go over..

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    is it bad when you go over in your protein when i log my foods? I work out and everything but i always seem to go over..

How much protein are you taking in per day? Also what is your bodyweight?
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The default MFP protein goal is quite low to begin with (15% of calories), so I wouldn't worry. I've manually set my goals (instead of the recommended automatic set) to include a higher protein goal so that I'm not always in the red!
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    NEVER I have 1 gram for every pound I weigh and I have lost over 15 pounds now Feed those muscles blast the FAT!!!!
  • joejccva71
    Options
    You should be getting 1g of protein per lb of LBM, especially if you lift. To keep it simple, just eat 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    I MAKE it my goal to go in the red for protein. I would be concerned with "40somethin" grams a day. I could have that in one meal and half a protein shake.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I set my protein to 35% of my calories under the Goals tab. MFP is very low. My doctor is the one who recommended a balanced ratio of protein, carbs, and fat. Mine are 35, 35, 30.
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    nope, protein is great :)
  • SummerFun2011
    Options
    absolutely terrible. Look a how unhealthy body builders are. All that protein. tisk tisk. Thats why they die at 32.
  • ellie403
    ellie403 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The personal trainer at my gym (who has not an ounce of fat on her muscular and lean body) said that eating anything less than 100grams is a big no no! She gets 200 grams a day. I set my % like others - she recommended 60, 20, 20 - but that's too crazy for me. I like wheat bread too much. I set mine at 45, 35, 30. Also, I am surprised at how many carbs I get just from the vegetables alone. It really adds up. Eat more protein, for sure!
  • erincooper1
    Options
    I weigh like 145 and my average protein a day is like 100grams... so im like 60 something over today and just wondered if that was normal.
    Thanks for all the input i appreciate it!
  • joejccva71
    Options
    To give you an example. I carb cycle and do IF and on my upper body training days I burn 3800 calories. I eat 2800 on these days which is a 1000 calorie deficit to lose 2lbs per week since I'm on a 4 month cut.

My macros:
    200g of protein
    118g of fat
    233g of carbs

Which equals to 2794 calories. :) I don't go by percentages, it's easier to go by grams. Atleast for me.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    I've never heard of too much protein. I know there's definitely too little... take me as an example. I will get it in the red one day!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been eating approx 100 g of protein a day, 150 to 160 g of carbs and 25 to 30 g of fat a day. I met with a nutritionist today to get my metabolic rate tested and he said that was fine. I am actually not eating enough and he suggested to increase the carbs if anything, but was fine with me eating 100 g of protein.I do work out 6 days a week with Insanity, spinning and weights.....I think you eating 100 g of protein a day is good, and if you went up, it wouldn't hurt anything, unless you had kidney issues.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    You can eat more fat.

Eat almonds, flaxseed oil, olive oil, peanut butter, fish oil, fatty salmon, etc.

People seem to be scared of eating fat. You need fat.