Stiff/sore - skip a day or push on through?

Options
Ok, so I now know I overdid it on my last gym visit. For various reasons I had 4 weeks off, and went back to exactly the same routine I was doing before the break. Now I am stiff and sore and bending as that I'm 83 rather than 38.... More than a bit annoyed with myself.
My question is, should I lay off the exercise until I loosen up (which I guess will be 24-48hrs) or just "man up" and get back in the gym?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Exercise always helps my DOMS, too.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Skip it. I'm a big advocate for getting enough rest - - DOMS or not.

Allow your body time to recover. You won't regret it.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I'd start with some light cardio and maybe some stretches and then increase the intensity as your body loosens up.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's really relative to how your body reacts.

If it's something that is going to possibly throw your form off because being off 4 weeks or just less experience at lifting maybe take a day.

Personally, the less my body moves the more sore I get due to joint disease so I go in and get warmed up really good regardless and I'm good to go.

You could always go in and just foam roll and do some recovery work.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    For me it would be foam rolling/stretching/yoga/pilates/light run or walk. Anything that will help to loosen up the sore muscles. But I would avoid doing whatever it was that you did yesterday.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If I'm really sore I won't jump straight back into strength training... missing one session is better than missing several because I injured myself. Instead I'll do some cardio. Sometimes once I've been moving for a while the soreness gets better, so I may still be able to go on with my workout after all :smile:
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between stiff and sore and hurt. Its up to you but if I were just a bit sore I'd do some form of workout even if it were just to raise my pulse a bit and get some blood flowing faster.
  • pizzacutter4x4
    pizzacutter4x4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    moving through it, helps me get through it
  • smiles6428
    smiles6428 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually go to yoga or do some light card when I'm feeling that way. Otherwise it can be easy to break habit and make excuses for not going other times.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Stretch, do some light activity or cardio and see how you feel. If you're still stiff and sore, rest the day (or two). DOMS you can work through but you can also prolong it if you don't get adequate rest for your body to repair. Try some BCAA's and some extra protein with rest.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It is just a DOMS, which is really rare for me.
    I went and did some cardio which was fine and as many people above have said, once warm the muscles seemed to like moving. The strength work was a different matter. Even with 5kg off, it was much tougher than it should have been so I left that (for the affected muscle groups).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Meh, if I skipped workouts whenever I was stiff or sore I'd basically never get any actual workouts in. Even worst case if I were really weak I'd just do a deloaded version or lower the volume.