Roasted pumpkin

Options
leejoyce31
leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
edited November 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I thought I loved delicata, rutabaga and butternut squash. However, I absolutely love the roasted pumpkin. Because I don't like pumpkin pie, I just surmised it was because I didn't like pumpkin. However, I discovered it's the pumpkin spice in pumpkin pie that makes me not like it.

For some reason, I have been wanting to try roasted pumpkin just out of curiosity. About 2 weeks ago, I tried it. I eat a small pumpkin every day now, along with my roasted delicata, butternut, and rutabaga. It's low in calories and has loads of beta carotene. So, I'm definitely getting lots of Vitamin A these days.

They are absolutely delicious. I use a little sugar free maple syrup to add a touch of sweetness. I will eat this every day until it goes out of season. :)

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Those little "pie pumpkins" from the supermarket are WONDERFUL roasted. Just cut in wedges, coat with a mixture of olive oil and prepared pesto, and roast, sitting up like little boats. No need to peel, just eat it out of the skin. And, yes, it tastes more like a variety of winter squash, which it really is, than a pumpkin pie.

Not to say that pumpkin pie isn't yummy, too ...
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Those little "pie pumpkins" from the supermarket are WONDERFUL roasted. Just cut in wedges, coat with a mixture of olive oil and prepared pesto, and roast, sitting up like little boats. No need to peel, just eat it out of the skin. And, yes, it tastes more like a variety of winter squash, which it really is, than a pumpkin pie.

Not to say that pumpkin pie isn't yummy, too ...

Yes, it has to be "pie pumpkins" or "sugar pumpkins." Those decorative pumpkins are not good for cooking.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting more with the squash family. What temp do you cook the pumpkin and for how long?
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I've been experimenting more with the squash family. What temp do you cook the pumpkin and for how long?

425 for 35 minutes.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love roasted pumpkin. I also use it in a chicken stew recipe that I have. Love it!

I also use it in pumpkin rolls, although I did not make those this year. They pack a lot of calories, but are oh so good once a year.

tl0pay4owetq.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    Growing up Canadian, the only way I had pumpkin was sweet ... like in pies. And I wasn't fond of it. Pumpkin pie is probably my least favourite flavour.

Then I moved to Australia and discovered that here pumpkin is served as a savoury dish. I like pumpkin soup with curry, pumpkin risotto, roast pumpkin, etc. etc.

My husband does Sunday roast dinner about once a month with roast chicken, potatoes, pumpkin, sometimes another type of squash, carrots, little onions, sometimes pieces of corn on the cob ... yummy! :)
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I love roasted pumpkin. I also use it in a chicken stew recipe that I have. Love it!

I also use it in pumpkin rolls, although I did not make those this year. They pack a lot of calories, but are oh so good once a year.

tl0pay4owetq.jpg

Okay, I could eat that entire batch of rolls. They look delicious. I am a bread lover. :)
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

425 for 35 minutes.

I go with 350 for an hour, but then I let the pumpkin cool and puree it. You can store it in the fridge for a week, or freeze it for a few months.

You can also under cook it a bit then peel and dice the meat to use in stir fries.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have a sugar pumpkin and butternut squash in my pressure cooker right now. 15 minutes, natural release. I actually didn't like the pumpkin by itself, though I love the pie and the spice! I'm going to mix the last one I have with the butternut squash. I eat them with no butter, no sweetness, with nutmeg.
  • tanya1052
    tanya1052 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Growing up Canadian, the only way I had pumpkin was sweet ... like in pies. And I wasn't fond of it. Pumpkin pie is probably my least favourite flavour.

Then I moved to Australia and discovered that here pumpkin is served as a savoury dish. I like pumpkin soup with curry, pumpkin risotto, roast pumpkin, etc. etc.
    :)

As an Australian, I think pumpkin as a sweet dish is really weird (except pumpkin scones or pumpkin fruit cake). Pumpkin is a standard savoury vege every day - steamed, mashed, roast, soup, curried, and in salad. It is wonderful with north african, middle eastern, thai, or indian flavours.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »

425 for 35 minutes.

I go with 350 for an hour, but then I let the pumpkin cool and puree it. You can store it in the fridge for a week, or freeze it for a few months.

You can also under cook it a bit then peel and dice the meat to use in stir fries.

Since I cube them, the flesh is tender on 425 for 35 minutes.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    tanya1052 wrote: »

As an Australian, I think pumpkin as a sweet dish is really weird (except pumpkin scones or pumpkin fruit cake). Pumpkin is a standard savoury vege every day - steamed, mashed, roast, soup, curried, and in salad. It is wonderful with north african, middle eastern, thai, or indian flavours.

It's seasonal in the US. Is it available year around there?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I tend to roast whatever vegetable at 400 until done when poked with a fork. If I'm cooking something else that needs a slower or faster oven I just adjust how much time I expect it to take.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »

tl0pay4owetq.jpg

Okay, I could eat that entire batch of rolls. They look delicious. I am a bread lover. :)

They are so good!

Pumpkin Dinner Rolls

1 (1/4-ounce package), (about 2 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
    1/3 cup sugar
    3/4 cup milk, heated to lukewarm
    7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
    1 large whole egg, beaten lightly
    2 cups fresh pumpkin purée or a 16-ounce can pumpkin purée
    An egg wash made by beating 1 large egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water

To make pumpkin puree, bake a pumpkin at 350 degrees for one hour or until soft. Scoop out the seed and thready portions and then scoop pulp into a bowl. Whisk with a fork until smooth.

In a small bowl proof the yeast with 1 teaspoon of the sugar in the milk for 5 minutes, or until the mixture is foamy. In a large bowl combine well 7 cups of the flour, the nutmeg, the salt, and the remaining sugar and blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the whole egg, the pumpkin purée, and the yeast mixture and stir the dough until it is combined well.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it, incorporating as much of the remaining 1 cup flour as necessary to prevent the dough from sticking, for 10 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic. Form the dough into a ball, transfer it to a well-buttered large bowl, and turn it to coat it with the butter. Let the dough rise, covered with plastic wrap, in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it is double in bulk.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface, divide it into 14 pieces, and form each piece into a ball. Fit the balls into a buttered 10-inch springform pan and let them rise, covered with a kitchen towel, in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until they are almost double in bulk. Brush the rolls with the egg wash and bake them in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until they are golden brown.

Let the rolls cool slightly in the pan, remove the side of the pan, and serve the rolls warm.

The rolls may be made 1 week in advance and kept wrapped well and frozen. Reheat the rolls, wrapped in foil, in a preheated 350°F. oven for 25 minutes, or until they are heated through.

Makes 14 rolls
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

Yes ... any time of the year, you can go into a supermarket and get some sort of pumpkin (there are many different kinds). Plus you'll always find cans or bags of pumpkin soup and things like that.

One of my lunchtime favourites ... I usually add some noodles, steamed veggies and a bit of spice to it.
    http://www.lazuppa.com.au/la-zuppa/bowls/pumpkin-soup

bowl_pumpkin_570x467px.png

I have this one in my drawer at work too ... maybe I'll try it tomorrow, now that I'm thinking about it ...

bowl_moroccanpumpkin_570x467px.png

• leejoyce31
    Options

Yes ... any time of the year, you can go into a supermarket and get some sort of pumpkin (there are many different kinds). Plus you'll always find cans or bags of pumpkin soup and things like that.

One of my lunchtime favourites ... I usually add some noodles, steamed veggies and a bit of spice to it.

I have this one in my drawer at work too ... maybe I'll try it tomorrow, now that I'm thinking about it ...

That's awesome. Here I think they mainly have sugar or pie pumpkin for cooking. I wish they were available year around. I like them fresh. They probably have canned year round.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

That's awesome. Here I think they mainly have sugar or pie pumpkin for cooking. I wish they were available year around. I like them fresh. They probably have canned year round.

If you're willing to buy a lot of them and do the work you can roast and puree them then freeze some of the puree for up to three or four months. It'll still taste pretty fresh. For longer term storage you'd probably need to jar the puree, but I don't how the hot water bath would affect the taste.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »

If you're willing to buy a lot of them and do the work you can roast and puree them then freeze some of the puree for up to three or four months. It'll still taste pretty fresh. For longer term storage you'd probably need to jar the puree, but I don't how the hot water bath would affect the taste.

I don't eat the puree. I usually cut them in cubes and roast them with a little maple syrup. I'm assuming I could freeze the cubed squash though. That's a thought. I may try that. Thanks! :)
  • tanya1052
    tanya1052 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We have pumpkins available year round, but pumpkin keeps remarkably well. When we've grown them we've kept them for up to 6 months without a problem.

This article has some good references on storing them if you can get hold of them. http://green-change.com/2011/06/25/how-to-store-pumpkins-winter-squash/